Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New York City  (Read 1248 times)

OmerV

• Photographs
New York City
« on: December 17, 2018, 09:36:53 am »

New York City, 1980 by Omer Claiborne, on Flickr

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: New York City
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 09:39:19 am »

Interesting shot, Omer. Makes clear why you wouldn't want to live there.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 10:03:29 am »

I didn't want to live there then...and I left. For all the reasons this shot reveals and much more.

Peter

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 11:07:23 am »

I didn't want to live there then...and I left. For all the reasons this shot reveals and much more.

Peter
Interesting shot, Omer. Makes clear why you wouldn't want to live there.

Well, this is interesting and confusing. I get that New York isn’t for everyone, but the photograph is of regular folk relaxing on a mild, sunny day, sitting(and laying) on a circular park bench listening to a musician. What’s bad about that?

RSL

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 11:17:59 am »

Actually, Omer, they were "lying" on that concrete bench. Who'd want to lie on a concrete bench? Only in NY!

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 11:33:23 am »

I'm a new Yorker, And this looks like Washington Park, near NY University.  A hubbub of activity.   If you want lots of grass, you could go to world famous Central Park with is woods and such.  Plenty of parks like that. 

Frankly the problem with the photo in question is not the city, but the photo itself.  We photographers know you have to isolate.  The shot covers too much clutter making the place seem univitable.  Too many leaves.  The over exposure of the picture adds to the clutter.    These are just people relaxing at lunch on a warm day sunning themselves where they can, a normal Big Apple activity.  A young girl, a couple of older people napping having taken their shoes off, a guitar player strumming a tune others can listen too, etc.  The stuff goes on all over the city; always something going on which makes people want to see it.  These are not bums and the place has fallen leaves not garbage.  The photo doesn't show the joy and contentment these people are actually feeling.  That's the photographer's fault, not New York City.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 11:36:14 am »

Actually, Omer, they were "lying" on that concrete bench. Who'd want to lie on a concrete bench? Only in NY!
Russ that's wooden seat on top of a concrete foundation. 

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 11:41:59 am »

Now this is concrete, actually granite.  Obviously, these are tourists visiting Rockefeller Center.  They sleep everywhere. :)
Lunch Break by Alan Klein, on Flickr

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 11:46:40 am »

Same granite seat but with a nicer touch.  These are locals, not tourists.
Woof by Alan Klein, on Flickr

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 12:58:24 pm »

I'm a new Yorker, And this looks like Washington Park, near NY University.  A hubbub of activity.   If you want lots of grass, you could go to world famous Central Park with is woods and such.  Plenty of parks like that. 

Frankly the problem with the photo in question is not the city, but the photo itself.  We photographers know you have to isolate.  The shot covers too much clutter making the place seem univitable.  Too many leaves.  The over exposure of the picture adds to the clutter.    These are just people relaxing at lunch on a warm day sunning themselves where they can, a normal Big Apple activity.  A young girl, a couple of older people napping having taken their shoes off, a guitar player strumming a tune others can listen too, etc.  The stuff goes on all over the city; always something going on which makes people want to see it.  These are not bums and the place has fallen leaves not garbage.  The photo doesn't show the joy and contentment these people are actually feeling.  That's the photographer's fault, not New York City.

Alan, you are correct. It is Washington Square Park, but can’t remember if it was a weekend or week day.

The photo is busy, and I’m trying different processes to have the circular bench more obvious. Still, I like the busyness though I do wish the guy in the center (in socks) didnt’t blend in with the background so easily.

Yep, I take full responsibility (and credit) for the problems/merits this picture has.  :D

Nice pictures Alan. I do miss true metropolitan cities.

Russ, you are The Boss. As for lying on benches, we here in Tucson don’t, not sure why.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 02:10:33 pm »

Here are some slightly more active New Yorkers, in Union Square Park.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 02:21:41 pm »

Looks as if that kid's gonna grow up to be a chess champ.

RSL

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 02:54:36 pm »

Russ, you are The Boss. As for lying on benches, we here in Tucson don’t, not sure why.

Probably because they're hotter than hell. I lived a year in Buckeye when I was about eight, and I spent a month in Yuma one summer when I was the intercept controller for a rocket team. I also have a sister-in-law living in Tucson. Been there. Done that. I stay away from benches in southern Arizona.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2018, 03:55:21 pm »

Alan, you are correct. It is Washington Square Park, but can’t remember if it was a weekend or week day.

The photo is busy, and I’m trying different processes to have the circular bench more obvious. Still, I like the busyness though I do wish the guy in the center (in socks) didnt’t blend in with the background so easily.

Yep, I take full responsibility (and credit) for the problems/merits this picture has.  :D

Nice pictures Alan. I do miss true metropolitan cities.

Omer I'm sorry I was coming off critical.  Just protecting my home town.  :)  I think you could make a number of great street shots from your one picture.  There's too much activity and it confuses viewers.  The guitar player is one shot, the women with the stroller, the guys or the little girl sleeping, etc.  Each could make a nice study in themselves.

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2018, 07:21:15 pm »

Omer I'm sorry I was coming off critical.  Just protecting my home town.  :)  I think you could make a number of great street shots from your one picture.  There's too much activity and it confuses viewers.  The guitar player is one shot, the women with the stroller, the guys or the little girl sleeping, etc.  Each could make a nice study in themselves.

Alan, I was not offended by your criticism and honestly, your points were not a surprise. The pic needs some work.

EDIT: I very much like New York.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2018, 09:33:14 pm »

Here are some slightly more active New Yorkers, in Union Square Park.

Nice shot.   Lots of chess in NYC on the streets.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2018, 09:34:30 am »

I have never been in NY, but I have been to London many times. It's easy to get tired in these large cities, so I have no problem in lying in concrete, grass, wood, or other material, to take a rest:)

P.S. I like the photo, it shows the urban environment.

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2018, 01:13:00 pm »

I have never been in NY, but I have been to London many times. It's easy to get tired in these large cities, so I have no problem in lying in concrete, grass, wood, or other material, to take a rest:)

P.S. I like the photo, it shows the urban environment.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up