Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3100/Z3200 + Qimage users  (Read 1640 times)

Ernst Dinkla

HP Z3100/Z3200 + Qimage users
« on: December 17, 2018, 04:44:21 am »

QU version 2019-105 has a new feature that brings back the printer driver settings to their default without affecting QU non-driver settings. For example the Corner/Cut Marks setting remains, QU CM settings stay, etc.  Process is now almost like with the old dual printer icons at the QU menu top; one for driver settings, one for printing.

Selecting the Z's driver's print quality can only be done in the driver itself, not in the QU interface for the driver settings, so is the choice for gloss enhancer. There are more settings like that. The Z drivers are not that good at interacting with the QU interface for the driver. Media preset additions in the printer can  corrupt the link between printer/driver and QU, QU log file recalls may give CM issues when there have been changes in the driver version over time (with other printer brands too). There are more issues like that. That is why I often use the printer driver reset to the default driver settings but that went along with the loss of some QU settings as well that were not directly driver linked.

With the QU 105 version, using the Shift key while clicking on Properties, becomes "Default",  the driver falls back to defaults and some direct driver related QU settings too like print page size, input resolution 300-600, but little else of the driver that is reported in the QU menu.  So the print page size falls back to the default but I made a huge sized print page as the default so no images need to be resized etc. Just select in the driver itself the print page size and print quality, gloss enhancer and the images fall back in place on the print page, the 300-600 PPI selection shows in QU again. Media preset changes can be done too in the  driver if needed and will show correctly in QU's GUI. Changes made afterwards in the QU interface on; print page size, media type, roll/manual, portrait/landscape will work correct again for both QU and driver.

http://ddisoftware.com/tech/qimage-ultimate/z3200-custom-paper-addition-and-qu-issue/
http://ddisoftware.com/tech/qimage-ultimate/v2019-105-issuescomments/

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

felix5616

Re: HP Z3100/Z3200 + Qimage users
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 07:27:01 am »

why use Q image? what does it do the the Z does not?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 08:18:11 am »

A lot that I am not going to sum up here.. Get a demo version I suggest.

http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage-u/

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 05:34:26 pm »

Unlimited print length

Nesting of multiple image layouts ( that I rarely do ).

But the reason I use it besides print length is the resampling algorithms that give me cleaner and sharper results when upsampling within the printer driver for big prints from less than optimum sized dslr files. Send the files as they are without interpolation and let the printer do everything from QImage.

John

enduser

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 06:25:12 pm »

The ability to nest many images with a different profile for each one.

felix5616

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 06:29:36 pm »

I tried the demo and did not find it intuitive at all.

Ethan Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 06:38:13 pm »

I tried the demo and did not find it intuitive at all.

That it isn't. Mike Chaney made the decision years ago to roll his own user interface. Drag and drop onto buttons? Sure. Why not. If you use QImage occasionally as I do, your swearing creativity will be put to the test. Use it often enough to remember the quirks and the UI is incredibly efficient. A point in QImage's favor is that documented is more extensive than the norm for image editing software and there are numerous learn-by-example tutorials covering all essential features.

If you print large layouts of complex images, QImage does a phenomenal job of efficiently using paper, resizing images, etc.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 03:17:43 am »

That it isn't. Mike Chaney made the decision years ago to roll his own user interface. Drag and drop onto buttons? Sure. Why not. If you use QImage occasionally as I do, your swearing creativity will be put to the test. Use it often enough to remember the quirks and the UI is incredibly efficient. A point in QImage's favor is that documented is more extensive than the norm for image editing software and there are numerous learn-by-example tutorials covering all essential features.

If you print large layouts of complex images, QImage does a phenomenal job of efficiently using paper, resizing images, etc.

+1

I do not think intuition is a good guide for a program packed with so many features. Read  the manual and forget the instructions for what you will not need, Concentrate on what you need day by day. Search in the Learn by Example when you need to do something new. If you can not find it ask Terry or Fred in the Qimage Ultimate forum. Mike may come to the rescue when they don't know. If the feature does not exist Mike might be convinced it is an addition worth some programming time and add it. If you have more wishes then put them in the Qimage Ultimate Wish list. Sure one day you need four key combinations as a shortcut to feature 1001. It is that kind of a program.

felix5616

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 07:55:59 am »

I was hoping to use the nesting feature but searching online and forums and guides does no seem to make senses. Simpler to buy different size rolls and skip nesting since my time is more valuable than the cost of paper.

Garnick

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 09:01:30 am »

I was of the impression that there would soon be a Mac version of Qimage.  However, after checking their site it would seem that they have abandoned the Mac version completely.  Is that indeed the case?  I have no other reason for running Windows apps on the Mac, so Fusion or Parallels is not the answer for me.  Just a firm yes or no, as is seemingly stated on the Qimage site.  Of course there's also the possibility that I am quite a few months behind here, since I haven't been following the progress for the Mac version or lack of such for some time.

Gary
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 09:25:58 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Binartem

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 09:56:51 am »

Qimage One (for Windows and macOS) was developed in cooperation between ddisoftware, Inc. and Binartem, Inc. and has been available for almost a year. Qimage One focuses on printing, rather then editing and all the capabilities of Qimage Ultimate. We just added rulers, grids and snapping. You can try a free 14-day demo at:

https://www.binartem.com/downloads/
Binartem, Inc.
ddisoftware, Inc.

howardm

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 10:39:33 am »

Mike,

Can you add some form of color wheel (like PS Variations or the Canon print tool) ?

Garnick

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 11:16:41 am »

Qimage One (for Windows and macOS) was developed in cooperation between ddisoftware, Inc. and Binartem, Inc. and has been available for almost a year. Qimage One focuses on printing, rather then editing and all the capabilities of Qimage Ultimate. We just added rulers, grids and snapping. You can try a free 14-day demo at:

https://www.binartem.com/downloads/

Thanks for this Mike.  I do recall the Binartem site now, but somehow it had disappeared from my bookmarks listings.  I will download the Demo and watch some tutorials ASAP.
Much appreciated  :)

Gary
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 12:12:06 pm »

I was hoping to use the nesting feature but searching online and forums and guides does no seem to make senses. Simpler to buy different size rolls and skip nesting since my time is more valuable than the cost of paper.

Nesting is automatic in Qimage, unless you want to change its behavior (e.g. disallow rotation, or optimize paper use, or cutting efficiency).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

mfrohman

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 04:51:26 pm »

Changing roll sizes seems way more hassle. If you're on a mac, I second the Binartem Qimage for nesting. There's also an inexpensive program called ImageNest which is basic on features but works well for nesting even though they never seem to update it. The HP driver can also do nesting though you have less control over it and it doesn't always make the best choices. I used to use it but switched to ImageNest.
2 x HP Z3200, Canon 4100, Epson p-800

Binartem

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 12:14:43 pm »

Mike,

Can you add some form of color wheel (like PS Variations or the Canon print tool) ?

We'll take a look.  Thanks for the suggestion!
Binartem, Inc.
ddisoftware, Inc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up