Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rendering in Windows "Photos"  (Read 2640 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Re: Rendering in Windows "Photos"
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 11:04:30 am »

Figure 3 is encoded with sRGB gamma and 4 with linear gamma, both properly tagged via Photoshop (v2).   

You need to explain further: what does "encoded" en "properly tagged" mean?
If fig 3 is linear data tagged as sRGB, i would interpret that to mean that the darker reproduction is correct.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

TonyW

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 11:05:15 am »

In my experience there is still something wrong with Edge, colours look too saturated in wide gamut displays.
Agreed as that is what I see as well too saturated Edge and IE 11.  However, they appear to match and look "correct" in Firefox, Chrome and Opera
http://www.gballard.net/firefox/

I tend to only use Firefox reverting if necessary to others for those websites that do not play nice

Ethan Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 12:18:17 pm »

Images appear identical in chrome on Win 10. All flags to default.

TonyW

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 01:06:35 pm »

Images appear identical in chrome on Win 10. All flags to default.
Why am I seeing a difference with Chrome with all flags default?  Windows 10.  Attached Firefox on left Chrome (Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit))

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2018, 06:00:54 pm »

Why am I seeing a difference with Chrome with all flags default?  Windows 10.  Attached Firefox on left Chrome (Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit))

There seems to be something wrong with the images. I see the difference in Chrome too, but Photoshop CS 2019 reports that there is an issue with the embedded profile and discards them. In addition, they apear to be in color mode: B&W with a color icc profile, something that is not allowed, at least in recent versions of photoshop.

Extracting the ICC profile with exiftool, changing the color mode to RGB and assigning the profile in photoshop shows the image correctly, so I would say it is not Chrome to blame in this instance.

Ethan Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2018, 08:57:15 pm »

Something definitely strange with how Chrome. I get the dark image on my laptop and three other workstations. Identical images on my main desktop. The only difference that I can tell is the number of monitors hanging off the computer.

Good detective work Francisco! That could well be the issue. Invalid use of profiles.

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2018, 03:28:14 am »

There seems to be something wrong with the images. I see the difference in Chrome too, but Photoshop CS 2019 reports that there is an issue with the embedded profile and discards them. In addition, they apear to be in color mode: B&W with a color icc profile, something that is not allowed, at least in recent versions of photoshop.

Extracting the ICC profile with exiftool, changing the color mode to RGB and assigning the profile in photoshop shows the image correctly, so I would say it is not Chrome to blame in this instance.

Hmm, the image represented grayscale data, was recognized as Gray by PS CS5 at the time (this was a couple of years ago) and as I recall was then assigned a 'Gray Gamma 1.0' ICC profile.  The profile was created and assigned in PS CS5 by modifying the built-in Gray Gamma 2.2 profile to linear.  I believe this is all standard stuff so it should work, and in fact it does work (some of the time)*.

However obviously things have progressed since then because I see that CC2019 now complains when opening the relative file.  When the image is downloaded from the web page and opened in CC 2019, PS still recognizes it as Gray but marks it as untagged, saying that the ICC profile is invalid.  Plus, while the image still appears dark on the web page viewed via Chrome, if I point Chrome directly to the downloaded file it shows it at the correct brightness.  Weird, let's assume it is a 'old' profile issue.

I'll replace the old image in the article with the same with a Gray Gamma 1.0 profile assigned in CC2019, that should do it (for now:-).  Let me know if it fixes it for y'all.

[Edit: I see in fact that it does not fix it, at least via Chrome on my 3 Win 10 computers and two Android phones.  On the other hand now CC2019 no longer complains when opening it - back to the Color Management drawing board, Chrome.  BTW, Photos hangs on either version, while File Explorer W10 displays the old file correctly but not the new ones.  This CM stuff is a hoot!].

Thanks for the feedback, learn something new every day
Jack

*Incidentally, for those of us that don't do this every day, when PS opens an untagged image it tries to figure out its type (RGB, CMYK, Gray, etc.) and displays it as is.  It's up to you to then tell it how to deal with its tones by assigning a suitable profile.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 05:08:38 am by Jack Hogan »

TonyW

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2018, 06:07:24 am »

Yes, the embedded profile seems to be the big issue, good investigation Francisco  :)

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2018, 03:08:15 pm »

[Edit: I see in fact that it does not fix it, at least via Chrome on my 3 Win 10 computers and two Android phones.  On the other hand now CC2019 no longer complains when opening it - back to the Color Management drawing board, Chrome.  BTW, Photos hangs on either version, while File Explorer W10 displays the old file correctly but not the new ones.  This CM stuff is a hoot!].

Right, the issue is still there, maybe CM in Chrome works only for RGB images.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2018, 03:13:12 pm »

I use the internet downloadable and free Irfanview when handling photos either from email attachments, or from other sources.  It's fast and I don;t need to open my photo editing program like Lightroom or Elements.  It handles cropping, resizing and many other simple functions quickly.  I don;t use it for serious editing however.  Get the plugin as well from them.
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS746US746&ei=opoeXJrnKsbH5gLN_4jgAQ&q=irfanview+download&oq=irfanview&gs_l=psy-ab.1.2.35i39l2j0l8.4270.7568..11027...0.0..0.138.1119.0j9......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i10i67j0i67j0i10j0i20i263.o_WBN9p80OY

Jack Hogan

• Hikes -more than strolls- with my dog
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2018, 03:04:08 am »

Useful thread as I learned that as of recently Chrome is color managed, at least with RGB files.  That means that we can now browse the web with Chrome on wide gamut monitors without all the garish colors.  That was not the case until earlier this year - and it is the only reason why in my two monitor setup one monitor is not wide gamut (couldn't stand the tones).  With this additional knowledge when I replace it, it will be wide gamut as well.

Jack

mlewis

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2018, 12:21:29 pm »

Chrome now (at least on Windows 10) is fully colour managed.

Here a couple of links for testing:

The following link from color.org will let you test if your browser supports v2 & v4 profiles (in firefox you need to change the default configuration to fully support v4)

http://www.color.org/version4html.xalter

The following link lets you test your browser for profiles with LUTs:

http://displaycal.net/icc-color-management-test/

Based on the previous links, Chrome and Firefox fully support colour management while Edge does it partially (it does not support LUTs)
Edge understands embedded colour profiles in images but assumes the monitor is sRGB. It is not properly colour managed. On wide gamut monitors images will look oversaturated.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up