Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Synchronizing folders  (Read 559 times)

hea7

Synchronizing folders
« on: December 16, 2018, 01:14:06 pm »

I went to my Image Bank (all my LR photos) and clicked on synchronize folder and it came up with 1900 photos. Many of these appear duplicates but may have different names. Some are jpegs that I would not have changed the name of.
I see there is a checkbox for do not import duplicates but if it i the same photo with a slightly different name then they will be imported anyway.

What do you suggest as a solution? Folder by Folder? Also, how can I prevent this from happening in the future?

I images in my image vault on my hard drive that do not appear in my LR folders. This could be where some of the issue is however, I do not know how this is happening.

I set up a folder in LR to import the images not in a LR folder but they are grayed out. So they must be in LR somewhere.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 01:38:49 pm by hea7 »

howardm

Re: Synchronizing folders
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 01:41:22 pm »

Did the different names come from you renaming it/them?  If so, did you do it *inside* Lightroom
or did you do it outside (ala computer operating system) ?

John Caldwell

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 04:51:43 pm »

But independent of what means might have been used to rename the files, inside or outside of LR, LR will not see tow files of differing names as duplicates of one another. Your best strategy, as I see it, is ti Synchronize, import all files of differencing names but files which are likely to represent the same image; apply some dummy keyword and color label at the time of importation that allows you to find the new imports later on, and then sort according to capture time. Unless capture time has also been changed, in which case you are hosed, the dupe will live next to its original file. The color label will be a visual cue to the files you're like to want top get rid of, but virtue of its being a duplication (of differing name) of the file you wish to keep.

John Beardsworth, and possibly a few others, may have better suggestions that prove my offering here to be more clunky the needed.

I've been where you are. It's a nuisance. The bright side is that it's only a few hundred files...

John Caldwell

hea7

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 07:19:33 pm »

John, thanks. I have 1900 to do. Still trying to figure another way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up