Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: p6000 p7000 Gsmut differences  (Read 1412 times)

Matthew63

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 26
p6000 p7000 Gsmut differences
« on: December 13, 2018, 10:44:28 am »

Hello all,
I am getting an upgrade to my wonderful fun and SMALL p800, either p6000 or p7000 Epson

After scouring the web, there is very little readily available actual comparisons, mostly subjective ideas and not data references stating either; "the non orange green ink sets are a little lacking",  from the extra ink sets with those added ie 7000 or 9000, to, "I saw images from each and could not tell the difference...."


 Any review which states the 6000 is a nice printer is to shallow to address this. Maybe there are great reviews some where I have not found?

personal experiences >?


Does anyone have direct experience comparing a larger gamut print to same image r similar on the new ink 800 or 6000 inksets.?????

Cost evens out over time BUT the 7000 now is costing me 900$ more new shipped vs new shipped
Logged

Mark D Segal

  • Contributor
  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12525
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: p6000 p7000 Gsmut differences
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 11:19:45 am »

Much depends on the paper and the character of the photos you are printing. Not having either printer on hand, the easiest way of seeing a statistical difference for a very wide gamut paper that is quite popular in the fine art community, as an easily attainable example, one can evaluate the profiles for Canson Baryta Photographique as prepared by Canson for each of the printers. See attached figure. The gamut volume for the SCP700 is definitely larger, and it shows, characteristically, in the Yellow/Green to Orange/Red segments of the spectrum. From my experience seeing very similar gamut volume/gamut shape comparisons translated into prints of real photographs, the difference is noticeable only for those photos that really stretch the colour saturation requirements in those parts of the spectrum; so for example, vivid sunsets, photos of birds with brilliant yellow/green plumage.
Logged
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

  • Contributor
  • Sr. Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12525
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: p6000 p7000 Gsmut differences
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 11:21:03 am »

I should add - in the illustration, the white shape is for the SCP6000 and the multicolour for the SCP7000.
Logged
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

JeanMichel

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 524
Re: p6000 p7000 Gsmut differences
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 01:33:05 pm »

I have both the P800 and P6000. I of course cannot make comparisons between the 6000 and 7000. The chart that Mark posted gives an objective comparison. My take is that if you are a competent printer and get prints that satisfy you from your P800, then you will get essentially identical prints from a P6000. Of the two printers I use the P800 much more. There is only so much wall (mine or clients) space for larger prints. If you have an extra $900 to spend, you might want to consider getting the 44 inch version instead.
Logged

Matthew63

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 26
Re: p6000 p7000 Gsmut differences
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 05:39:13 pm »

Well, and here is the rub, I am learning relatively new and yes, paper and images are of course the best... found a deal from a dealer so... that looks like its the p6000..
BUT
I love deals, and Epson, maybe for you of the community here... has the P9000 refurbished as a deal for under 2500, like 2450 with a 3 year in house warranty, the current promo is done before the 31st...

I am happy with the p6000 as a step up from the p800 in size... and the ink really is much less expensive as I do research ...
again thank you all

« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 06:28:08 pm by Matthew63 »
Logged

mearussi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 805
Re: p6000 p7000 Gsmut differences
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 11:34:11 pm »

Well, and here is the rub, I am learning relatively new and yes, paper and images are of course the best... found a deal from a dealer so... that looks like its the p6000..
BUT
I love deals, and Epson, maybe for you of the community here... has the P9000 refurbished as a deal for under 2500, like 2450 with a 3 year in house warranty, the current promo is done before the 31st...

I am happy with the p6000 as a step up from the p800 in size... and the ink really is much less expensive as I do research ...
again thank you all
Really not as much of a deal as it initially looks when you realize that no ink comes with it, whereas the new one at $4,500 comes with 11 110ml ink carts worth about $800.
 
Logged

JeanMichel

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 524
Re: p6000 p7000 Gsmut differences
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 12:12:02 pm »

Really not as much of a deal as it initially looks when you realize that no ink comes with it, whereas the new one at $4,500 comes with 11 110ml ink carts worth about $800.
 

The P6000 currently retails for $2,800 Canadian at Vistek in Toronto, Canada. I imagine that this means that it can be had for around $2,000 US.
Logged

Matthew63

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 26
Re: p6000 p7000 Gsmut differences
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 08:44:24 pm »

Sorry!
Epson had the P9000 at 2450.. and they all come with ink... the 9000 is the big bro to the p7000, the larger gamut ink but in a 44 inch wide

The p6000.. that I ordered was below the epson cannot sell below price which is 1995.. as its a Demo" I was able to get it another 300 off, or 1699$ unused never opened with a full ink cart set...
so, for me it was the 6000 or wait, as its what my budget could sustain and at 1699$ shipped new in the box I am SUPER happy, and also know no equipment can take the place of experience...

on a side note I printed up my first christmas card order .. and with the thousands of images from very expensive cameras and lenses, this winner I printed came from an iphone! go figure
thanks to all...
I wanted to especially than those who said " you dont know photography until you see your prints"
Logged

Matthew63

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 26
Re: p6000 p7000 Gsmut differences
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 05:43:38 pm »

OK, for those interested in my choice, I ordered the p6000 and an after market 3 year on sight warranty for less than 1900 shipped with everything above..., new unused unit.. 3 year warranty on site.. did some yellow orange tests on my p800 as well.
I had one major reason to get the Epson vs the Canon as many love the canon, even the local Epson dealer here in Colorado due to low humidity so....and it is paper throughput.... I plan on doing both cut and rolls... and have begun stocking up on Epson inks to feed this beast ....
I sm suprised that it the p6000 will print to  almost anything in a sheat... some one mentioned wood sheet! crazy...
Logged

I.T. Supplies

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 529
Re: p6000 p7000 Gsmut differences
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 05:28:35 pm »

The P series will not be able to properly print on metal or wood if there is no pigment coating to have the ink stick to it.  Even if it looks like it will stick, chances are it won't last since the ink isn't made for those substrates.  Wood sheet is more used towards Dye-sub printing.

I would also be careful with refurb P printers as we've sold a handful of them from Epson directly and about 90% of them had many issues where Epson had to repair or replace them.  We'd recommend going with a new model where you shouldn't get as many issues upfront (if any).  If you want to go with a refurb unit, make sure to have the warranty as back up.  Demo units are also good as long as they were managed properly.

Epson also has a promo until end of Dec where you purchase a P7000/P9000 and get 2-year extended warranty for free (per Epson).  You just pay the printer price.  This hasn't been done before and a good add on for those that want a new Epson printer with the Orange and Green inks.
http://www.itsupplies.com/v/vspfiles/downloadables/Epson_PSeries_NovDec18.pdf

So, if you would be printing anything with skin tones and/or trees/grass, make sure the profile made for the printer/media can manage the additional colors so you use them vs just having them look used but go through cleaning cycles mainly.  The small downfall on the Epson end with the 2 additional colors.  ProPhoto RGB/CMYK do help use those additional colors too.

The Canon end would use all colors if the profile can apply it to the media properly and don't need to do anything extra.  The Pro series has 11 colors with Optimizer (mainly for gloss prints), but you access all colors at some point.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up