Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fstoppers street critique  (Read 4410 times)

32BT

• Pictures
Fstoppers street critique
« on: December 12, 2018, 05:18:16 pm »

https://fstoppers.com/critique-community/street-photography

And before we pass judgement, let's wait for the actual selected images. I think they do a showcase of the top images.

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Rob C

Re: Fstoppers street critique
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 04:54:22 am »

Nice to see that other places are as polarized as LuLa; also, that as here, from the shown pics, few have the slightest idea what street is, other than that a street can be involved.

Had the "genre" simply been Candid, then yes, a few would qualify, but then that would still not mean that, though candid (in this context, meaning unposed), they had anything new, funny, deep, or meaningful to relate.

Truly funny, though the defensive nature of some of the remarks on the side.

If there is one lesson to be learned from there, as from here, it's that people take their photographs way too seriously. It's the thing that makes non-photographers think photographers are, well, a bit strange.

Rob

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 07:49:09 am »

Nice to see that other places are as polarized as LuLa; also, that as here, from the shown pics, few have the slightest idea what street is, other than that a street can be involved.

Had the "genre" simply been Candid, then yes, a few would qualify, but then that would still not mean that, though candid (in this context, meaning unposed), they had anything new, funny, deep, or meaningful to relate.

Truly funny, though the defensive nature of some of the remarks on the side.

If there is one lesson to be learned from there, as from here, it's that people take their photographs way too seriously. It's the thing that makes non-photographers think photographers are, well, a bit strange.

Rob

The alternative is that LuLa just becomes yet another form of social media. In truth and at times I can't help thinking for some it's already there.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 09:22:38 am »

The alternative is that LuLa just becomes yet another form of social media. In truth and at times I can't help thinking for some it's already there.

It always has been but another slot within the social media world; if there's a difference today it's that marketing is an ever more obvious part of its function, and I can understand why that must be so. My own, tiny Internet existence is consuming a large proportion of my pension income, and I am a minnow in comparison with what LuLa is able to offer, and what I presume it must spend in order to do what it does... little that's desirable usually comes free.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/social-media

Rob

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 09:29:26 am by Rob C »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 10:49:08 am »

It always has been but another slot within the social media world; if there's a difference today it's that marketing is an ever more obvious part of its function, and I can understand why that must be so. My own, tiny Internet existence is consuming a large proportion of my pension income, and I am a minnow in comparison with what LuLa is able to offer, and what I presume it must spend in order to do what it does... little that's desirable usually comes free.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/social-media

Rob

Ah, what you need is to monetise that internet existence to boost that pension. A pay for chat room of your very own, focusing on and defining photographic genre, perhaps?

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 11:41:57 am »

Ah, what you need is to monetise that internet existence to boost that pension. A pay for chat room of your very own, focusing on and defining photographic genre, perhaps?

;-)

I can think of fewer responsibilities I'd rather avoid than running a blog.

Worse than a having a regular job!

:-)

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 04:49:02 pm »

For the record: the results are in
Regards,
~ O ~

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 07:48:45 pm »

Thanks, Oscar. Pretty sad.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 08:15:58 am by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 08:29:13 pm »

Thanks, Oscar. Petty sad.

Is that a freudian slip? ;)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 08:29:34 pm »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 08:31:26 pm »

... few have the slightest idea what street is, other than that a street can be involved....

Few have the slightest idea what the illuminati think Street is, other than that, most reasonable people accept the broader definition.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 12:06:52 am »

Few have the slightest idea what the illuminati think Street is, other than that, most reasonable people accept the broader definition.

;D +100

faberryman

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 07:09:14 am »

Actually, I think it is the illuminati that don't have the slightest idea what street is.

RSL

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 08:18:48 am »

You guys need to stop worrying your heads about this. It'll make you old before your time.

Ivophoto

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 08:18:57 am »

Actually, I think it is the illuminati that don't have the slightest idea what street is.

Let’s be fair to the Illuminati.
They have an idea what street ‘was’
Like my grandfather believed all guns are muzzleloaders.

RSL

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 09:25:17 am »

See that, Ivo. If you think your grandfather thought much about muzzle-loaders it's clear you're already old before your time. I told you so.

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 01:20:15 pm »

That's cheap: you have to define what reasonable people means for it to make sense or lend any gravitas to that statement.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 01:27:19 pm »

That's cheap: you have to define what reasonable people means for it to make sense or lend any gravitas to that statement.

"Reasonable person" is a legitimate concept in the Western justice system. It is not defined there either, yet sufficient for courts and judges, precisely because it's meaning is self-evident. If the Supreme Court doesn't engage in semantic hairsplitting about its meaning, why would I?

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2018, 01:59:32 pm »

"Reasonable person" is a legitimate concept in the Western justice system. It is not defined there either, yet sufficient for courts and judges, precisely because it's meaning is self-evident. If the Supreme Court doesn't engage in semantic hairsplitting about its meaning, why would I?

Because justice is self confessedly blind, whereas you, Slobodan, are clearly not. You already know that the law is an ass.

Rob

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2018, 05:01:19 pm »

Instead of going into another stupid round of regurgitated discussion, i decided to do a little critique challenge myself by selecting a top 3 from the preselection made for the video. I can't stomach looking at all the entries, so forgive me my lazyness.

Of the selected images these are my favourites.

https://fstoppers.com/entry/318250

This image nicely depicts how we carry the burdens of our own grotesque imagination and how that affects our existence. A perfect metaphor about what life feels like at times for most of us. Head bend down looking at the ground, no longer looking where she might want to go, no longer knowing where she is heading, just pulling and pushing through life, tugging away each day from start to finish, from when we are born til the day we die. The burden so large it seems like start and finish right there in the image.

I believe this is great street, since it captures our attention with its to-the-point but balanced composition, its soft light and understated processing, which then makes one think about life. About the life of that particular individual, and then about life in general. This then allows you to make the connections between the elements in the picture and what they represent metaphorically, and thereby creating a solid narrative.

https://fstoppers.com/entry/318032

Perfectly captures every conceivable contrast in just two elements. Small & big, light & dark, back & front, hunched & open, thereby even dislike & joy, defense & acceptance, young & old. With those last forms of contrast it even teaches us something about life: the older we get, the more we learn to accept the tribulations of life as a cleansing of the soul, nicely captured in the older person's religiously connotated stance in a downpour of rain.

Obviously, i'm assuming this is an actual and spontaneous situation. In that case it represents a great narrative quality derived from a slice of life. That makes it good street. If it is more or less posed or even composited, it remains solid narrative photography, but it would no longer qualify as street. In addition, if it was directed, i would also expect a slightly better balance in composition, something easily forgiven in an actual spontaneous streetshot.

https://fstoppers.com/entry/318493

A little symphony in color. Not metaphorical street, but, as Rob likes to say, streetart. A fleeting impression of complementary elements and befitting colors sliced straight from life in an urban setting. Not posed as in a candid or informal portrait, but a brief moment of beauty as one could encounter while commuting to work. Perfectly composed, captured, and processed. The composition could stand on its own, but with the aptly sized and serendipitously appropriate figurine added, the image gets an entirely new layer of meaning from its colors and shapes.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 05:30:38 am by opgr »
Regards,
~ O ~
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up