Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IQ4-150 machine  (Read 1461 times)

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
IQ4-150 machine
« on: December 11, 2018, 12:39:21 am »

Hi all,

So if you were going to put an new IQ4-150 in your camera back....how would you set up your new PC  (not mac).

Ready...GO....

;-)

A
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

aaronchan

Re: IQ4-150 machine
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 08:02:56 am »

CPU:    Intel i7 9700K
FAN:     BeQuiet! SHADOW ROCK 2
MB:     Asus PRIME Z390-A
RAM:   DDR4 3200Mhz 32GB
Disp:   Asus DUAL GTX1070-O8G
SSD:    Samsung 970 EVO M.2 512GB
HDD:   WD Blue  3TB x2 (Raid 0)
Case:   As you like
PSU:    Corsair RM750i

If you want to lower your cost, you can use GTX-1060, the reason why I picked 1070 is because I personally like to use DisplayPort rather than HDMI for my monitors.

Also, I'm a fan of Intel

aaron

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 02:54:47 pm »

All NVMe storage and a current mid to upper video card and you'll be fine.  32 or 64gb of RAM (later if you stitch).

Spinning rust only for backup/archive use.  Maybe a 10gbps network card and external storage setup for non-working data.
t: @PNWMF

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 04:20:57 pm »

My take is 512Gb hot storage aren’t enough I would go for at least 1TB. As capture one scales great in graphic cards I would choose a 2070/80 with NVIDIA or a r9 290 with AMD.

32GB is more than enough for C1 and normal edition, however if you work with more layers 64 or 128GB are better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

faberryman

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 04:39:31 pm »

Maybe a 10gbps network card and external storage setup for non-working data.
Why would you need a 10gbps network card? Is your local network 10gpbs?

Joe Towner

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 05:49:09 pm »

Why would you need a 10gbps network card? Is your local network 10gpbs?

Yep, and I can't recommend it enough.  I wouldn't recommend buying a NAS that doesn't speak 10gbps at this point - with data tiering with SSD's in front of an array of platter drives you'll want that greater than 1gbps connection.  Asus has a $99 card, OWC has a TB3 model is $160, and you can snag Qlogic SFP+ cards off ebay for $20 with the cable.  I'm normally a Synology guy, but the QNAP models with SFP+ are super slick & cheap - especially with M.2 SSD caching (allowing you to offload files faster, shared access with other machines, direct to cloud backups, etc).  Even if initially you only do a 10gbps link between the workstation & NAS (without a switch), you'll see a difference.
t: @PNWMF

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 05:59:22 pm »

Thanks Aaron,

Interested in why you wouldn't go the i9-9900K

Thank you.  Joe.  I always value your opinion on computer set ups.

Also wondering why you're all suggesting 8-bit graphics cards?

A
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

aaronchan

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 11:20:10 pm »

Thanks Aaron,

Interested in why you wouldn't go the i9-9900K

Thank you.  Joe.  I always value your opinion on computer set ups.

Also wondering why you're all suggesting 8-bit graphics cards?

A

My configuration is like the min. For your need since you didn’t mention your budget.

Aaron

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 02:00:28 am »

As far as I know we have the following problems with 10bit. Only PS works with 10bit, LR and C1 do not.

For me a fast graphic card is very important as C1 makes full use of them. If i wanted to fett he same processing power as my r9/Rtx 2070 i would need to spend huge amount of money on a „pro grade“ card.

In my former workstation I had a 10bit card and it was nice, however, I’m pretty sure my clients and i wouldn’t say my prints gotten worse since changing back to a „consumer“ card.

Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

JaapD

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2018, 09:09:30 am »

First thing is to decide what RAW converter to choose. Hopefully you’ll pick one that makes proper use of GPU processing, like CaptureOne. Looking at your camera I presume you'll do. For the rest is depends on the budget.

For GPU processing I’d recommend an NVidia RTX 2080.
Another no brainer is m.2 SSD’s as HDD’s are sloooow.
Memory: 64 Gb
Processor: these days I’d go for one that supports many lanes (for video card and PCIE-SSD’s) such as Intel i9 or even an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990wx. (C1 also supports all cores!)
Cooling and case: something quiet.

Regards,
Jaap.

Dan Wells

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 12:53:31 am »

Given the cost of the IQ4-150, I wouldn't skimp on the computer... Unless you have somebody in house who can troubleshoot a homemade computer as fast as the best tech support people from a workstation manufacturer (and without taking you away from photography at the day rate to support the IQ4-150), I'd call HP and get one of their Z-series workstations, or some smaller manufacturer with excellent service  (as I recall, lots of people like Puget Systems, but there are others) and get one of their higher-end photography-focused systems...

Here's a nearly $5000 photographer's dream machine (taking into account that C1 likes graphics cards) using a 9900K from Puget Systems Link to system here.

And here's another one, this time with a 16-core Intel HEDT processor for about $1000 more Link to system here.

And here we are with a Threadripper, for those who prefer AMDLink to system here

All of these have:

64 GB RAM

A GeForce 2080 RTX, since C1 uses GPU power, and can use all the help it can get with that 150 MP back

A 2 TB Samsung PCIe SSD (that's the only storage on them other than the DVD drive Puget includes as standard, since images that huge are going on an external RAID of some sort - the very fast Samsung is for Windows, applications and the C1 library/project files and previews. You could certainly dedicate that drive to C1 files alone, and add a similar 512 GB drive for Windows and applications...

You said no Macs, but I'd consider an iMac Pro (or the new Mac Pro if and when it appears).

HP's workstation line would be a great choice, probably some configuration of the Z4, but it means much more expensive Quadro or FirePro graphics - at least in their online configuration wizard, they won't let you pick a GeForce or a Radeon Vega (I don't think C1 cares between the consumer and pro cards) - if it does, that makes the extra money in the HP's graphics setup worth it (the same graphics performance will be a couple of thousand more in Quadro guise)...

Pages: [1]   Go Up