Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1, Nikon Z7, and FTZ: Missing lens profiles  (Read 994 times)

johnvanatta

• Website
C1, Nikon Z7, and FTZ: Missing lens profiles
« on: December 10, 2018, 04:36:01 am »

Has anyone had success getting C1 v12 (with nominal Nikon Z support) to automatically load the lens profiles for FTZ adapted lenses? I've got a Nikon 20/1.8 G, which C1 has a profile for, but it isn't loading automatically. Probably because the FTZ isn't writing very much EXIF information.

I've done some experiments, and C1 seems to use very simple string matching based on EXIF fields. I suspect that all I need to do is find the magic string to write to the file with exiftool and I'll be all set. But nothing I guessed so far has worked.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: C1, Nikon Z7, and FTZ: Missing lens profiles
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 08:57:49 am »

I believe it's due to the mirrorless system.

If the 20 1.8 is a G lens, then I don't think C1 or LR will load a profile automatically.  Nikon like Fuji and most other mirrorless cameras, embed the lens info and it can't be changed.  But like you point out this is only going to be for a mirrorless Z lens.  I believe that it's going to have to be a manual add like you have found.  But not sure if anything change can be done since all focus by wire mirrorless lenses seem to all have the lens info automatically sent to the raw file and that is what is loaded when the file is opened in C1 or LR. 

LR would have no lens info loaded either for this solution as there would be no Z lens info carried forward to the exif. 

I have yet to find a mirrorless solution that doesn't work this way, from Sony, Fuji and now Nikon.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Walter Rowe

• WalterRowe.com
Re: C1, Nikon Z7, and FTZ: Missing lens profiles
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 02:52:30 pm »

Has anyone had success getting C1 v12 (with nominal Nikon Z support) to automatically load the lens profiles for FTZ adapted lenses? I've got a Nikon 20/1.8 G, which C1 has a profile for, but it isn't loading automatically. Probably because the FTZ isn't writing very much EXIF information.
I reported this to PhaseOne with some sample images. They have acknowledged the issue and said they have tested a fix that will be forthcoming. I also asked that they include release notes info on how we are correct images we have already imported without losing any of our other metadata we already added.
Walter Rowe
Pages: [1]   Go Up