Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sessions or Catalogues  (Read 1091 times)

spb_ch

Sessions or Catalogues
« on: December 08, 2018, 04:56:27 pm »

Is it better to keep images in Sessions or in albums within a catalogue, say 1 catalogue per year?

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
Re: Sessions or Catalogues
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 12:49:45 pm »

That is a big question. I would check out some of the tutorials. "Catalogs & Sessions" and "Advanced Sessions" and "Creating a Catalog" and see what might work best for you.

I prefer Sessions for individual projects.  And catalogs for general photography outings. I copy my images into a folder structure based on location and import them into the catalog as referenced files. Sessions can be imported into catalogs. If the files are on your hard drive and not inside that catalog you have total control over them.

I have seem to start a new catalog after a couple of years or some other point where it makes sense.

Hope that helps a little.
Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

FJH

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 12:59:34 pm »

Here is a link to a discussion by Doug Peterson from 2017 regarding catalogs versus sessions.
https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/catalogs-vs-sessions-epic-battle-times/

spb_ch

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 01:20:29 pm »

That is a big question. I would check out some of the tutorials. "Catalogs & Sessions" and "Advanced Sessions" and "Creating a Catalog" and see what might work best for you.

I prefer Sessions for individual projects.  And catalogs for general photography outings. I copy my images into a folder structure based on location and import them into the catalog as referenced files. Sessions can be imported into catalogs. If the files are on your hard drive and not inside that catalog you have total control over them.

I have seem to start a new catalog after a couple of years or some other point where it makes sense.

Hope that helps a little.

Thank you! I did find "Catalogs & Session" video, very good. I have decided to go with Sessions as that seems to be more akin to waht I have been used to over the years. (Take photos, retourn to computer, upload to a named project folder). Now I will just create a Session on an external drive, and copy the images to the output folder.

Not sure about catalogues so will have to learn more before I use that.

Stephen

spb_ch

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 01:22:05 pm »

Here is a link to a discussion by Doug Peterson from 2017 regarding catalogs versus sessions.
https://www.dtcommercialphoto.com/catalogs-vs-sessions-epic-battle-times/

Thanks I will be trying to learn some more about Catalogue. Getting happier with Sessions at the moment.

Walter Rowe

• WalterRowe.com
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 02:56:44 pm »

Sessions are great for independent projects over time – editorial assignments, portrait sessions, events, etc. If you like to filter and search your archives, you can import sessions into a master archive catalog so you can filter and search across your entire body of work. The caveat is that there is no syncing between sessions and catalogs. When you import a session into a catalog, it imports all the adjustments and metadata and stores it in the catalog database. Any changes you make to the session after that point in time are not recognized by the catalog, and any changes you make within the catalog are not pushed back into the session data. It is a one-time, one-way process.
Walter Rowe
Pages: [1]   Go Up