Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with ColorNavigator 6 and i1Profler profiles on High Sierra (10.13)  (Read 990 times)

Louie

After an ordeal to get the latest ColorNavigator (6.4.24) installed on my system (See below) , I setup a new target to match my original target (lost in the update process) and went through the calibration and validation process using a i1Display Pro 3. Everything seemed fine, in fact the Delta-e values reported in the validation were very low. even in the saturated dark blue. It still reported the highest Delta-e but was less than 2, so it looked very good.

However, as soon as I went back to use my computer I immediately started seeing strange artifacts, especially in Finder windows. All the text is being displayed with a light gray highlight. Which will also sometimes switch to black or red or dark grey. It also seems to appear and disappear when switching between Finder windows or tabs. It also appears in Safari but not as frequently.

It seems to be directly related to the active monitor profile because as soon as I switch back to a profile built before all the upgrades all the artifacts disappear.

Since I also have the i1 Photo Pro 2 I tried to making a display profile using i1Profiler and the i1Display Pro 3. Basically the same result.

I have the following hardware configuration, a Mac Pro 2012 (MacPro5,1) with a Radeon RX580 8192 and a Eizo CG241W. My original graphics card failed a while back and I had to scramble for a replacement. In the process I discovered non of the original graphics cards for the Mac Pro towers would support Mojave. Long story short I purchased a Sapphire Pulse RX580 card. It installed just fine and I got my computer back and running. All seemed well.

It came time to recalibrate my CG241W and ColorNavigator suggested an update to 6.4.24 which on the Eizo site is supported in 10.13 and 10.14 and released on Nov 1 this year. After I installed I could not get it to display the main application window. The application would start and show up in active apps list (Cmd-Tab in Finder). Eventually I discovered that if I clicked the CN icon on the Dock it would launch the main window. I was able to workaround this by un-checking the "Use ColorNavigator Agent" box int the "Other" tab of CN Preferences.

I reported this all to Eizo technical support via email. Although they responded quite quickly on a weekend their initial advice to erase all preference files on my computer has now caused me to loose all my previous custom targets and calibration history reports.

Subsequent phone conversations with both Eizo and Xrite support has not helped.

-louie

Louie

So far no real help from either X-Rite or Eizo. I have even tried making another profile using my i1Pro 2 device and still the same problem.

Is there anyone here that has a Mac Pro tower (MacPro5,1) with a Radeon RX 580 installed on either 10.13 or 10.14?

What is your experience profiling your monitor?

-louie

Louie

Back to report a resolution to thie problem. It seems to have been due to incomplete or buggy  support in the OS and/or the driver for the RX 580 card in High Sierra. Will probably never know exactly what the problem was.

Finally ended upgrading to Mojave(10.14.2) and all the problems  with the highlighted text fields went away.

So if you have or want to use the Radeon RX 580 and probably the RX 680 the best bet is to move as quickly as feasible to Mojave.

-louie

alecdann

You might want to upgrade to CN 7 as well.

Louie

Unfortunately CN7 does not support my CG241W monitor and Eizo has not clarified if it will or not.

-louie
Pages: [1]   Go Up