Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question about moving a catalog from one computer or drive to another  (Read 5768 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

Hello,

After several days of location photography shooting with the Nikon Z7 tethered to my MBP and using Capture One Pro 12, writing the files into a C1 catalog on a portable SSD. Now that I am back in the studio, I want to move those files into my archive and backup disk arrays. Do I simply copy the catalog over to the archive array and then open that catalog on my desktop computer which also has C1 Pro 12 installed or is it more complicated than that?

To those of you with considerably more Capture One workflow experience than me, thank you for your advice.

tcphoto1

• http://www.tonyclarkphoto.com
Re: A question about moving a catalog from one computer or drive to another
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 11:00:43 am »

Yes, I simply copy the Capture One shoot folder to the two external drives I use for backup. I will usually try to cull the images before doing so in order to keep it lean.

spb_ch

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 01:52:07 pm »

BUT are we saying here that you simply can copy the Catalogue in its entirety from one drive to another?

I am very new to C1 12 and am having issues with catalogue. When I import I choose to leave the files in their current location and not import them to the Catalogue. The Catalogues I create live on the same external drive under a folder name C1-Catlogues. Each set of projects images have their own folder.

So a secondary question is it better to create a new catalogue for every project as against having a much larger catalogue say with one year's worth of images?

uptownguydenver

• Denverphotoscapes
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 12:33:36 pm »

If you shoot into a catalog or import into a catalog then all the images are inside the catalog and you can move it from one drive to another.

If you import the images into a catalog as referenced file and move the catalog to another drive but leave the images in the same place the catalog will know know where they are and you will be fine.

If you move the reference files from one drive to another Capture One will not be able to find them. The thumbnails will have a question mark on the lower right corner. The images in the viewer will say offline. Just select all of the images and right click and select Locate... and a Finder window will open and you select the new location.

For individual projects I create Sessions. They are self contained and can be moved around without any issues at all. If you want to add them to a catalogue later you can do a File > Import > Session.

Hope this helps. Capture One can handle almost any workflow you throw at it.

Phase One Certified Professional. Available for Digital-Tech and photo assistant work in the Denver

spb_ch

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 02:55:48 pm »

If you move the reference files from one drive to another Capture One will not be able to find them. The thumbnails will have a question mark on the lower right corner. The images in the viewer will say offline. Just select all of the images and right click and select Locate... and a Finder window will open and you select the new location.

For individual projects I create Sessions. They are self contained and can be moved around without any issues at all. If you want to add them to a catalogue later you can do a File > Import > Session.

Hope this helps. Capture One can handle almost any workflow you throw at it.

It certainly does. Thank you very much. I had seen the "thumbnails will have a question mark" and I begin to feel more like trying Catalogu again but am already happy with Sessions. Capture One is really a top class product.
Pages: [1]   Go Up