Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Derelict  (Read 965 times)

stamper

Derelict
« on: December 07, 2018, 05:18:31 am »

Fifty years of decay.

32BT

• Pictures
Re: Derelict
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 07:00:02 am »

Classic to the point of cliché, but very lovely light and color. Interesting how this looks much more like natural sky than this? That's not a stab at Hans' picture, which has beautiful rendering of the greens, but merely an observation about the sky.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

thierrylegros396

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 07:14:17 am »

Classic to the point of cliché, but very lovely light and color. Interesting how this looks much more like natural sky than this? That's not a stab at Hans' picture, which has beautiful rendering of the greens, but merely an observation about the sky.

I think that Hans' photo is simply taken much earlier.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 07:22:16 am »

I think that Hans' photo is simply taken much earlier.

Have a Nice Day.

Thierry

No, it's the "flatness" that worries me. Like printing ink yellow, not like luminous sunrise yellow.
Regards,
~ O ~

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 09:35:53 am »

A fine shot, well composed.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 09:46:56 am »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 10:12:51 am »

No, it's the "flatness" that worries me. Like printing ink yellow, not like luminous sunrise yellow.

I think that is probably due to how the image was processed (probably using something like the ProPhoto RGB colour space) and then lossy compressed into a Jpg before upload, rather than how the scene looked at the time of capture. So I imagine it looks a whole lot better on Hans's computer screen and print, than it does in the link you provided.

But after saying all that, I have also noticed how reds, oranges and yellows, of the type seen in sunsets/sunrises, are so easily blocked up during processing files from modern sensors. So if you are not really careful when tweaking the colour enhancement sliders in whatever processing software you choose to use, then it can so easily start to go horribly wrong very quickly.  ;)

Dave

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2018, 11:00:47 am »

Lovely. Whole different sky from Hans'.

stamper

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 11:33:35 am »

Thanks for the feedback.

thierrylegros396

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 12:41:09 pm »

I think that is probably due to how the image was processed (probably using something like the ProPhoto RGB colour space) and then lossy compressed into a Jpg before upload, rather than how the scene looked at the time of capture. So I imagine it looks a whole lot better on Hans's computer screen and print, than it does in the link you provided.

But after saying all that, I have also noticed how reds, oranges and yellows, of the type seen in sunsets/sunrises, are so easily blocked up during processing files from modern sensors. So if you are not really careful when tweaking the colour enhancement sliders in whatever processing software you choose to use, then it can so easily start to go horribly wrong very quickly.  ;)

Dave

You're right, I know the problem  ;)

Thierry

Cornfield

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 08:43:47 pm »

The processing looks odd to me.  Huge halos around the structure.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 11:51:39 am »

Interesting to see my picture ripped apart in this thread and nobody commented on it being flat and going horribly wrong etc. in the thread where I posted the picture. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with somebody not liking the picture or the processing I have done or if it looks like what the scene looked like originally. I can't even tell what the scene looked like when I took the photo and I'm not trying to make it look like what it "looked" like when I shot it. But I would prefer any comments made in the thread where the picture was posted rather somewhere else where I just by accident saw the comments.

My picture was edited in Lightroom so yes it is Prophoto and of course exported as JPG when uploaded to Flickr and there is some compression in the conversion to JPG and maybe also on the Flickr site. I don't know, but it does not look very different from what it looks like in Lightroom. It looks pretty much the same also on my iPhone Xs Max, but different and less contrasty (you could say more flat)  on my iPad Pro from 2015. You can also see how the sky looks different as the sun gets up if you look at the pictures further down in the thread. Stampers picture is so different since the sun is much lower under the horizon. So I think comparing the two pictures is a bit meaningless.

stamper

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 12:05:38 pm »

Unfortunately hijacking of threads in Lula is common and imo disrespectful to the member who started the thread. I don't think the moderator can do anything about it? Some members are a law unto themselves.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 12:19:20 pm »

Interesting to see my picture ripped apart in this thread and nobody commented on it being flat and going horribly wrong etc. in the thread where I posted the picture.

That's because nobody (including me) thought anything like that. I only commented on the different representation of (luminous) sky. The flatness, for all i know, could be due to the limitations of my viewing device which is an android tablet that i presume spits out sRGB.

Regards,
~ O ~

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 12:30:36 pm »

That's because nobody (including me) thought anything like that. I only commented on the different representation of (luminous) sky. The flatness, for all i know, could be due to the limitations of my viewing device which is an android tablet that i presume spits out sRGB.

Isn't it a bit silly to comment like this based on a viewing device that most likely has a poor screen? It would be better to at least double check on a better screen before making comments like this. Honestly I could not see your point based on what I saw on my computer screen which is a MBP 2016 and a 5K LG screen sold by Apple. I run both uncalibrated and have gone away from calibration as I saw this being a problem by viewing on other devices, but even the iPad Pro that a several years old do not have the nice crispy look as the newer devices have like my computer screens and the new iPhone with the OLED display.
Pages: [1]   Go Up