Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Affinity Photo supports Nikon Z7  (Read 1805 times)

jeremyrh

Affinity Photo supports Nikon Z7
« on: December 07, 2018, 02:39:25 am »

Despite not being officially listed as being supported, Z7 NEF files open in Affinity without any obvious issues.

JaapD

Re: Affinity Photo supports Nikon Z7
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 02:10:50 pm »

Can Affinity Photo be seen as the new Photoshop?

Any opinions in this regard?

Regards,
Jaap.

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 04:31:57 pm »

Dunno about "new Photoshop" but it's certainly a viable alternative. I like the iOS version a lot.

-Dave-

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 08:09:28 pm »

Affinity photo is quite capable and can do just about everything photoshop can, lots of tutorials online and certainly quite inexpensive. Give it a try, some things are very similar some functions you need to look at the tutorials. Worth it in my opinion but like anything out there, there is a learning curve.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 06:42:58 am »

IMHO, Affinity Photo is a great alternative for Photoshop, much more affordable and yet very powerful. It is a well thought-out application, sometimes even better than Photoshop. The latest Photoshop, for example, even added calculations in numerical input fields that Affinity already has had since its inception. Maybe AP has made Photoshop a bit better. ;)  Competition can be good for innovation.
AP can also use many Photoshop Plugins that people have learned to depend on.

Affinity Photo also integrates well (where applicable) with Serif's other editors, Affinity Design (with a focus on Vector Art, and Web design) and Affinity Publisher (with a focus on Publications), currently in Beta. They all use a similar kind of User Interface (but obviously with targeted controls for the task at hand), thus reducing the learning curve where possible.

The user forums are very helpful, and the moderators/developers also listen very well to their (potential) customers. There is a sense of being taken seriously. Their Video Tutorials are excellent and to the point, also highly recommended for getting up-to-speed and learning about efficient solutions to specific challenges.

AP also has some quite usable implementations of Panorama stitching, Focus stacking, and HDR imaging/tonemapping built into its basic functionality, and it can work with virtually lossless 32-bit floating point file formats (very useful for CGI work and extreme tonal corrections).

Highly recommended, but despite the similarities, it helps to spend time and immerse oneself in the application to get the most out of it. It may offer better solutions to achieving things, and it won't help to attempt to replicate Photoshop's way of doing things. So at occasions, there is some unlearning of habits involved, especially where more powerful possibilities are offered.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

JaapD

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 08:50:43 am »

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback Dave, Alan and Bart. I’m currently still on CS6 but my next step looks like evaluating AP, mostly for cloning & healing and compatibility towards the FocusMagic-, NeatImage- and Nik2018 plugins.

O jeah, I also get a warm feeling when GPU processing is properly supported, not just for some silly Liquify filter or similar that I’ll never use.

Regards,
Jaap.

Pages: [1]   Go Up