Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Otters on a piece of string  (Read 7814 times)

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
Otters on a piece of string
« on: October 26, 2006, 04:20:08 am »

Can anybody (Chris ?) explain to me what the otters-on-a-string are for (Bangladesh segment, towards the end) ? They seem to be chasing fish into a net...  I've never heard of domesticated otters before.

Birds-on-a-stick, yes. Otters-on-a-string, never....
--
David Mantripp

michael

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 08:25:07 am »

That's what they're doing – herding fish.

In China they use Cormorants to do the same thing.

Michael

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 09:27:29 am »

Birds-on-a-stick, yes. Otters-on-a-string, never....
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82323\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you follow the 'Next' links on the Bangladesh Play page of the DVD, you will find a description of these smooth-coated otters and their fishermen friends

C

David Mantripp

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 09:28:29 am »

If you follow the 'Next' links on the Bangladesh Play page of the DVD, you will find a description of these smooth-coated otters and their fishermen friends

C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82346\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ah. Ok, I'll do that. Last night when I was watching it my internet link was dead....  hopefully it is now fixed.
--
David Mantripp

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 11:20:53 am »

No 'net connection needed - it's on the DVD  

Paul Williamson

• http://www.mustbeart.com
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 11:36:42 am »

If I'm not mistaken, those screens weren't included in the "Play All" sequence of the DVD.

I wonder what other tidbits I've missed by watching "Play All" and not stepping through every menu option?

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 12:29:11 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, those screens weren't included in the "Play All" sequence of the DVD.

I wonder what other tidbits I've missed by watching "Play All" and not stepping through every menu option?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82368\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It was just part of the Bangladesh piece.

David Mantripp

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 04:48:26 pm »

It was just part of the Bangladesh piece.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82382\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

huh? don't get it ....  I guess I'll have to go and look again.  I just watched the whole piece and didn't notice any further links.

getting old and stupid I guess...

Yep, I see.  I assumed "Back" and "Next" referred to the main menu titles.  Yes, I'm dense, but at the same time, speaking as A User Experience Design Professional (ahem), I'd say that ii a touch ambiguous.... normally this sort of menu item on a DVD is labelled "Extras"

...actually, it is all a bit skewed now I look closely.  Go to the "green" screen.  Click "back" - you get the "red screen". Click "next", you get to the "blue screen" related to the red screen, rather than the green screen again - you'd generally expect "back" and "next" to be reversible.   And the difference between the "red screen" and the "green screen" finally is not so clear.

Having said this, most DVD menus are an absolute pig's ear. I've never tried to build one myself - maybe there are some inherent limitations. Or maybe movie makers are not so good at interactive design :-)  Or maybe that white Merlot I just helped to empty was even better than I thought.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 05:22:30 pm by drm »
--
David Mantripp

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 06:57:44 pm »

Yep, I see.  I assumed "Back" and "Next" referred to the main menu titles.  Yes, I'm dense, but at the same time, speaking as A User Experience Design Professional (ahem), I'd say that ii a touch ambiguous.... normally this sort of menu item on a DVD is labelled "Extras"

...actually, it is all a bit skewed now I look closely.  Go to the "green" screen.  Click "back" - you get the "red screen". Click "next", you get to the "blue screen" related to the red screen, rather than the green screen again - you'd generally expect "back" and "next" to be reversible.   And the difference between the "red screen" and the "green screen" finally is not so clear.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=82415\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'll call it Extras or More NEXT time, David
Pages: [1]   Go Up