Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Art of Street Photography - A Magnum Course  (Read 4041 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: The Art of Street Photography - A Magnum Course
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2018, 12:04:18 pm »

Really funny. As it happens I think pigeons are as overused as an old ABBA album. I have a list of stuff I hate in “street” photography. Pigeons are very high up.
My street pidgeon shot.  Glad you like them. :)
Mealtime by Alan Klein, on Flickr

Ivophoto

The Art of Street Photography - A Magnum Course
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2018, 12:28:33 pm »

It does look interesting. I may give it a go. Thing is street isn’t really such a biggie for me. Do I want to devote so much time to it. I will give it serious thought.

It is about photography. I don’t care on Street as such, but it’s interesting to see how Parr, Gilden, Etc approach it.
For me, it is the best about photography I saw the last years. (The BBC documentary ‘The genius’ was also good, but much more bloated than this Magnum course)

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 12:45:16 pm »

That’s a good point IVO. I may have a go in the new year. Winding up work in the next week then off the the Drakensberg over Christmas. I plan on doing some landscape photography. I turn 58 on the 25. Perhaps I will make this course my birthday gift to myself.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 02:31:20 pm »

https://www.magnumphotos.com/theory-and-practice/the-joy-of-seeing-magnum-street-photography/

Great sell by Magnum!

Really liked the very last shot by Chris Anderson: Street Portrait, Shenzhen, China.

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 05:15:56 pm »

... Okay, Slobodan. What do you you think is my definition of street photography?

Mind reading is still on my to-do list, Russ ;)

Dare I suggest it is on you to tell us what your definition is? After all, you must have some criteria, based on that secret, personal definition, for your categorical categorization of photos published on LuLa or elsewhere as Street or Not Street. Furthermore, your proclamations of "this is Street" or even "this is good Street" leave most of us scratching our heads.

And what makes you think the picture on the start of that email is street photography?

You say it isn't? I thought that the opening photo of the Magnum course on Street Photography would have something to do with it. Silly me.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 07:44:34 pm »

Come on, Slobodan. I know you've read this: https://luminous-landscape.com/on-street-photography/. Re-read the first paragraph. That's my definition. And no, I don't think a picture of birds in the air is street photography, and I don't think the people at Magnum think so either. If they do, then they've forgotten what HCB and the others taught them.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 04:44:11 am »

Come on, Slobodan. I know you've read this: https://luminous-landscape.com/on-street-photography/. Re-read the first paragraph. That's my definition. And no, I don't think a picture of birds in the air is street photography, and I don't think the people at Magnum think so either. If they do, then they've forgotten what HCB and the others taught them.

Magnum is in the business of selling Magnum; it will travel any legal route to do that, and if latching onto the fantasies of the mass of wannabe great snappers out there helps it make a few buck, then it will. Good luck to it: everybody sells a dream - even to himself. What else can it do? It's traditional news magazine market hardly exists, I suppose, so alternatives have to be found or the doors closed. I'd rather they stay open. I'm a sentimentalist, you know.

;-)

Ivophoto

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 07:14:29 am »

Magnum is in the business of selling Magnum; it will travel any legal route to do that, and if latching onto the fantasies of the mass of wannabe great snappers out there helps it make a few buck, then it will. Good luck to it: everybody sells a dream - even to himself. What else can it do? It's traditional news magazine market hardly exists, I suppose, so alternatives have to be found or the doors closed. I'd rather they stay open. I'm a sentimentalist, you know.

;-)

True, Magnum is looking for income. By selling square prints, or selling on line courses, whatever.
Anyhow. This doesn’t make Magnum photographers a bunch of clueless, detached from their God, pointless marginal figures.
Personally, I like to listen to the story of a Peter Van Agtmael, Bruce Gilden or even Mark Power. They have something to tell and I’m not to moldy  to take out of that story what can help me in my photographic evolution.

RSL

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 08:45:37 am »

You're right, Ivo. You can learn a lot from these guys. But don't confuse what you learn with street, as Slobodan seems to. They're in the photojournalism business. Don't forget that when they founded Magnum, Capa told Cartier-Bresson he should call himself a photojournalist if he wanted to succeed. The other thing you need to remember, if you ever knew it, is that most of Cartier-Bresson's work was photojournalism. Before the war he did a lot of street, and during the Magnum period he occasionally did street. But these guys were photojournalists, telling an understandable story, which is why Life magazine and others of its type ran their stuff.

faberryman

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 01:31:29 pm »

You're right, Ivo. You can learn a lot from these guys. But don't confuse what you learn with street, as Slobodan seems to. They're in the photojournalism business.
I am just wondering how you have concluded that one cannot learn anything about street from the video. Have you viewed it?

RSL

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 01:52:05 pm »

Hi Fab, have you?

faberryman

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2018, 01:56:14 pm »

Hi Fab, have you?
Nice deflection. I haven't viewed it, but then I haven't passed judgment on its usefulness. I am just wondering how you arrived at your conclusion. And whether your view should be listened to in making my decision about purchasing it.

RSL

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2018, 02:04:04 pm »

Nice deflection. I haven't viewed it, but then I haven't passed judgment on its usefulness. I am just wondering how you arrived at your conclusion. And whether your view should be listened to in making my decision about purchasing it.

Well, first of all, why do you think it was a "deflection?" You asked me whether or not I'd read it. Seems fair to ask whether or not you've read it. Please explain where, exactly, I "pass[ed] judgement on its usefulness." I pointed out that these guys are photojournalists. If they tried to make a go of it on street photography they'd starve. Also, I've read just about everything published by Magnum photographers literate enough to write about their profession. I'll probably read this stuff too. And as far as whether or not you should be listening to me, I'd suggest instead of that you go back to your landscape and rocks and architecture. I stays still while you shoot it.

faberryman

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2018, 02:15:26 pm »

Well, first of all, why do you think it was a "deflection?" You asked me whether or not I'd read it. Seems fair to ask whether or not you've read it.
Because you still have not answered the question.

Please explain where, exactly, I "pass[ed] judgement on its usefulness." I pointed out that these guys are photojournalists. If they tried to make a go of it on street photography they'd starve.
Your judgment as to the usefulness of the course for street:

You're right, Ivo. You can learn a lot from these guys. But don't confuse what you learn with street, as Slobodan seems to. They're in the photojournalism business.

And as far as whether or not you should be listening to me, I'd suggest instead of that you go back to your landscape and rocks and architecture. I stays still while you shoot it.
The guy posing on the Canon looks like he stayed pretty still while you took his picture.

RSL

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2018, 03:20:18 pm »

Because you still have not answered the question.
You need to learn to read more carefully, Fab. I answered the question.

Your judgment as to the usefulness of the course for street:
Again, you need to learn to read more carefully. I didn't say the course wasn't useful. What I said was: "You can learn a lot from these guys. But don't confuse what you learn with street."

The guy posing on the Canon looks like he stayed pretty still while you took his picture.

Absolutely. The shot took me a full second and a half. He stayed quite still for the whole period.

faberryman

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2018, 03:27:28 pm »

Also, I've read just about everything published by Magnum photographers literate enough to write about their profession. I'll probably read this stuff too.
I'm not sure what you are planning on reading. The Magnum course consists of ten videos. You really are out to lunch.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 03:33:54 pm by faberryman »

RSL

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2018, 03:58:41 pm »

You're really straining at gnats, Fab. I guess that's all you can do at this point. It's like that old advice for lawyers: If you have the facts on your side, hammer the facts; if you have the law on your side, hammer the law; if you have neither the facts nor the law on your side hammer the table. Pound away my friend.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2018, 09:52:46 am »

Thanks for the link, I will study the content.

I find it sad all this discussion about what is and it isn't "Street". Sounds like kids arguing in the play ground...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up