Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newspaper Rock  (Read 746 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Newspaper Rock
« on: December 04, 2018, 09:14:00 am »

This is a very large Pano image of the Newspaper Rock from Canyonlands NP, as I know there are other Newspaper Rocks across America, because I visited several of them during my recent drive right across the US (yikes, isn't it BIG!!!). But none seemed to be as good (photographically speaking) as the one in Canyonlands, although it is still not that easy to photograph in this way.

Clocked up something like 5,500 miles in around 28 days, and one of the unforeseen highlights during the long, long driving days for me, was munching on an endless supply of Caramel M&M's. Which for some reason are not being made available in the UK, probably because they contain such a high level of sugar, we would all end up with Type 2 Diabetes or something.  ;)

Oh and I cloned out a couple of pieces of modern graffiti and several of the more obvious bullet holes...

Dave

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Newspaper Rock
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 11:58:14 am »

That's just the tip of the iceberg, Dave!

Newspaper Rock is just a small sampling of the rock art sites in Canyonlands and is probably one of the more recent panels. 13 Faces and the All-American Man are a few hours of hiking/driving, if you have the right permits and and are in pretty good physical shape.

My favorite is across the park in Horseshoe Canyon, a couple of hour's drive from pavement and another long couple of hours walking and a drop of about 250 meters (that you've got to walk up on the way back!)

The first time was when I came in from the east 30 years ago after a long day's drive over old mining/petroleum exploration roads and some dead reckoning to get there. My friend petered out half-way there, but the ingress/egress into the canyon didn't seem so bad.

The last time was two trips 15 years ago to photograph it in summer and later fall for a magazine assignment. This was just a few months after Aron Ralston got caught between a rock and a hard place in Blue John Canyon a few kilometers up the canyon. He's the young man you had to use his knife to cut off his arm to escape the boulder that pinned his arm against the canyon wall, then climb down and walk toward civilization.

In any case, it's a humbling and spiritual experience to travel to this glorious site.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 07:55:55 am »

Excellent shot Larry  :)

We just didn't have time to do much other than the easy to get to 'Tourist' views I am afraid, as we had to keep on moving to the next location, if we were ever going to make it to our final destination and the flight back home from Washington DC, after starting our great American road trip from Denver. Although I would certainly love to go back and make the time, but alas my wife thinks that if we are going to do something this ambitious (and costly) ever again, then we should spend our quickly diminishing resources, driving across another continent such as Africa.

Oh and thanks for the comments Larry  ;)

Dave

langier

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 03:51:18 pm »

I've got the same issues with time and distance and I live here! I now have to travel by plane to get to my destination...or I'll never arrive since there's so much to see!

Same issue when I'm over the pond. I know when I'll be showing up and leaving and usually have no itinerary, other than to make it to the airport in time for my flight home. I've been so blessed traveling this way. There's always something I can't see while I'm there, so I leave it to the next trip in the theory that I'll make it back and pick up where I've left off.

Glad you had a great journey to this side of the pond, Dave, and hope you'll be able to have another adventure soon, if not here, somewhere else in the world that I'll know you'll share nice pix!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 11:22:51 am »

Very well done.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 11:18:57 am »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 07:13:55 am »

That's a nice photo, and I'm glad that you appear to have enjoyed your "classic American road trip." Yeah, it's a big country. We've done the drive twice, once to the Pacific Northwest and once to Utah and the Four Corners area, both from the East Coast. Lots of long days on the road.

I remember our first trip to Europe, we went to Ireland for our honeymoon in the mid-80s. I was amazed that we could drive across the entire country in a few hours :)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 04:18:45 pm »

That's a nice photo, and I'm glad that you appear to have enjoyed your "classic American road trip." Yeah, it's a big country. We've done the drive twice, once to the Pacific Northwest and once to Utah and the Four Corners area, both from the East Coast. Lots of long days on the road.

I remember our first trip to Europe, we went to Ireland for our honeymoon in the mid-80s. I was amazed that we could drive across the entire country in a few hours :)

Thanks Ken, I am glad you like the shot  :)

Yes the UK (and Southern Ireland) are not that broad in their width. For instance where I live on the Isle of Skye on the West Coast of Scotland, if I want to drive over to the East coast of Scotland, I can do it in under an hour an a half easily, but the coastline is so serrated and covered in inlets, peninsulas and coves, that the coastline around Scotland alone measures over 6,000 miles in length. And if you add in all the Scottish Islands (of which there are 790 of them by the way), then that figure jumps to over 10,000 miles in length - so not short of a few places to go and things to see and photograph. In fact I think I would need at least a couple more lifetimes, just to visit and photograph half of it.

To be honest, it is a bit of a landscape photographers paradise over here, as most things are so easily accessible and when you get there, the place is usually totally empty and quiet, but Shhh don't tell anybody, or else everybody will find out and start to come over here in their droves and I might have to start sharing it  ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 04:24:54 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2018, 08:39:44 am »

To be honest, it is a bit of a landscape photographers paradise over here, as most things are so easily accessible and when you get there, the place is usually totally empty and quiet, but Shhh don't tell anybody, or else everybody will find out and start to come over here in their droves and I might have to start sharing it  ;)

Yeah, Scotland is on my list for retirement. My wife and I are long distance hikers, and you all have quite the selection of trails. Add in the amazing landscapes and my love of whisky, and I could spend a long time wandering around over there.

I won't tell anyone, though :)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 12:12:39 am »

Superb, both Dave's and Larry's photos.

langier

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 08:32:23 pm »

Thanks, Rajan!