Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nvidia new generation GPU leads with Quadro RTX Workstation Cards  (Read 974 times)

narikin

Unusually, Nvidia announced their newest generation GPU's in August by leading with the Quadra Pro Graphics workstation line:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13217/nvidia-announces-turing-powered-quadro-rtx-family

Ordinarily, the Quadra range is at the end of the line to get upgrades, but times are-a-changin as the market in visual effects is so large and wealthy that they are swapping it about, and leading with these. Gaming cards are only following this month.

The point: Anyone used one of these in Capture One as yet?  I'd imagine with up to 48Gb GDDR 6 memory they are the fastest things out there bar none - assuming you want a 10bit workstation, not an 8bit capture station.

Sadly the very best are out of reach for ordinary mortals @ $10,000 for top of the line! but the RTX 5000 at around $2000 might meet many people's needs.

DP

Re: Nvidia new generation GPU leads with Quadro RTX Workstation Cards
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 08:20:12 pm »

Gaming cards are only following this month.

so all those quite recent RTX2080, RTX2070 are now old generation ? how decent of NVidia ! GeForce RTX 20 Series were announced on August 20, 2018 and in a month from now they are already prev. generation - in a less than 6 mo since announcement... I like it !   ;D ;D ;D

on a serious note - I bet somebody here already has RTX2080/RTX2080Ti and CaptureOne is only using OpenCL for compute/calculations tasks, so the difference is not a magnitude and price is affordable

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 08:24:21 pm by DP »

JaapD

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 12:56:40 am »

Between Quadro and Geforce there is no difference in bit depth at the capture side or the OpenCL processing side. It’s only 10 versus 8 bit as presented to the monitor. I barely see the difference and even more it is of zero impact in my process steps towards the end stage: the customer’s product.

In the end I think we’re far better off with the Geforce RTX 2080/2080Ti cards.

Regards,
Jaap.

narikin

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 03:28:24 pm »

so all those quite recent RTX2080, RTX2070 are now old generation ? how decent of NVidia ! GeForce RTX 20 Series were announced on August 20, 2018 and in a month from now they are already prev. generation - in a less than 6 mo since announcement... I like it !   ;D ;D ;D

on a serious note - I bet somebody here already has RTX2080/RTX2080Ti and CaptureOne is only using OpenCL for compute/calculations tasks, so the difference is not a magnitude and price is affordable

Nope - same generation chip inside - both are 'Turing'.

The only difference is that the first Graphics Cards to get this generation was the 10 bit Quadro Pro Graphics line, not the 8bit Gaming/General ones. It's always been the other way around, with Graphics Pro's at the end of the line.

If you have an RTX 2080, you have the latest/current generation. Sleep well!

narikin

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 03:36:31 pm »

Between Quadro and Geforce there is no difference in bit depth at the capture side or the OpenCL processing side. It’s only 10 versus 8 bit as presented to the monitor. I barely see the difference and even more it is of zero impact in my process steps towards the end stage: the customer’s product.

In the end I think we’re far better off with the Geforce RTX 2080/2080Ti cards.

Regards,
Jaap.

Yes... I've had this discussion before, and my best thought on this is:

If you are building a Capturestation, for a digital tech for example, then, yes, get a high end 8bit consumer/Gaming Graphics Card - e.g. the RTX 2080.
If you are building a Workstation, on which you will do Capture One and Color Editing in Photoshop and Printing, etc, then it's probably worthwhile going Graphics Pro 10bit card - e.g. Quadra or Radeon Pro.

I have a 10bit pipeline and do everything on my one workstation, so I'm option 2.  YMMV, of course, no worries.

narikin

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 04:02:50 pm »

Oh, and lastly to say the 'old' generation (2017!) Pro cards are now affordable:
NVIDIA Quadro P4000 is around $740, which is a good deal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up