Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is knowledge ?  (Read 1440 times)

Krug

What is knowledge ?
« on: December 03, 2018, 09:46:39 am »

Perhaps not merely to know how to - but also to know when to ??

I am reluctant to (re)open this particular 'can of worms' but surprised that I have seen no comments or discussion on David Osborn' heroic piece of image juggling. Personally I am in (slightly confused) awe at what he has done ... and do not, in any way, question his right to do it. However in the final product I only see what appears to me to be a doll house without totally convincing perspective and an instant impression of unreality. This does not sound as if it is what David was aiming for. Now of course such a surrealist image (if that is what was the aim) has forerunners in painted art but the better ones conveyed more impact and questioned the value of 'true' reality in an interesting way.

I do not wish to be negative but I do keep coming back in my mind to the question " Why David - apart from the fact that you could ?"  ... and wondering if that is enough.
John Ashbourne
 www.johnashbourne.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: What is knowledge ?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 10:02:14 am »

I like the final result... perhaps that’s “why.”

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 11:16:32 am »

I like the final result... perhaps that’s “why.”
Me too, and to me that is 100% the reason Why
But of course we don't all have to like it so I understand Krug's POV ...

faberryman

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:24:59 am »

However in the final product I only see what appears to me to be a doll house without totally convincing perspective and an instant impression of unreality. This does not sound as if it is what David was aiming for.
Could you post a link to the image in question?

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield

faberryman

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 11:40:00 am »

https://luminous-landscape.com/zero-to-hero-knowledge-saved-the-day/
I read the article and couldn't for the life of me figure out why he was only carrying a 50mm lens. I like what he did with the sky though.

EricV

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 05:10:12 pm »

I do not like the sky, not because it is not interesting, but because it is not consistent with the rest of the image.  My sense of reality objects to the impossibly sharp shadows produced by this sky.  Maybe the result was meant to be deliberately unrealistic, but I did not get that impression.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 06:49:13 pm »

I kind of agree with Eric.  To me the image looks almost too clean to be a photo, i.e. A representation of what was there at the time.  It looks to me as though it could be a cgi image. That is not to say it is not interesting and not worthy of consideration; it is both.  It is just not quite to my taste, though it may be to other people.

Best wishes,
Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

alainbriot

• http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
    • http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2018, 02:28:05 pm »

Personally my favorite version of the image is the one titled 'composite and details' (see below).  It gives a great sense of perspective and dynamism.  I also like the sky which goes with the very light and filled-with-light quality of the image.

Arguably the white areas in the sky and the building could be filled although I like the postmodern look that the original stitch has.  Being from Paris I have seen countless 'traditional' views of the Invalides (a monument I find personally daunting because it is both a mausoleum and a historical weapons museum) so I find quite enjoyable to see a different vision of it.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:37:21 pm by alainbriot »
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up