Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CaptureOne V12: do try it …. but be warned  (Read 1953 times)

JaapD

CaptureOne V12: do try it …. but be warned
« on: December 03, 2018, 07:03:44 am »

There is a 30 day evaluation period. The goal of this is to try out whether or not upgrading will be useful for you as end user. So, if you find out that it’s not sufficiently useful then there shall be a way back to a previous working situation.

A backup won’t help here after 30 days of computer use. I expect I don’t have to explain it here.

In my honest opinion PhaseOne should during installation create a copy of the original catalog, in order to be able to always go back to a previous working situation. This is a no brainer to me. A second best scenario would at least be a popup warning on screen such as “PhaseOne are going to modify your catalog and you cannot go back to a previous situation. Do you want to continue Y/N?”

Well, PhaseOne hasn’t implemented this. So please be warned….

Apart from this I’m really happy with V12, it’s working great and can recommend it to everyone.

Regards,
Jaap.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 07:10:54 am by JaapD »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: CaptureOne V12: do try it …. but be warned
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 07:36:09 am »

A backup is made, and placed inside your catalog. In the case you want to revert versions you can do so following these instructions; it’s fast and easy.

A message indicating the backup is being made, with a cancel and continue button, is displayed when you first upgrade your catalog.

JaapD

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 08:11:55 am »

Thanks Doug, your reply is much appreciated and your link to the instructions might come in handy for those that want or need to revert.

Regards,
Jaap.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 08:33:00 am by JaapD »

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 11:12:03 am »

...Thanks Doug.  As an addition this has been in place as far as I can remember (for me thats back to Capture One 7)
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

JaapD

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 01:01:18 am »

Thanks David for jumping in here. The only question now is “how are your customers aware of this?”.

See also the shut down topic “Capture One V. 12: Don't "Try It".

Regards,
Jaap

jeremyrh

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 07:58:45 am »

Thanks David for jumping in here. The only question now is “how are your customers aware of this?”.

See also the shut down topic “Capture One V. 12: Don't "Try It".

Regards,
Jaap

Because the customers see the message in the window shown in reply #11 of the shut down topic.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 01:49:15 pm »

Besides the common issue that many users do not take the time to read the dialogues, it might be not clear for some users that the updated catalog will not be compatible with the old version of the software. This is not just capture 1, is the same with Lightroom and any other application that uses a database.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 02:13:22 pm »

the common issue that many users do not take the time to read the dialogues,
Self inflicted injury then.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 02:51:40 pm »

Self inflicted injury then.

Ah, but as you know, we all have a high, nanny-ish duty to protect anyone liable to (or, as the parlance goes, "at risk of") self-inflicted injury from inflicting injury upon themselves.

Jeremy

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2018, 03:42:47 pm »

Besides the common issue that many users do not take the time to read the dialogues, it might be not clear for some users that the updated catalog will not be compatible with the old version of the software. This is not just capture 1, is the same with Lightroom and any other application that uses a database.
True, but how the info is provided to the user (the wording) is quite different. As shown in the shut down (why??) post as an example.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2018, 05:46:39 am »

I've been using Capture One Pro for about 3 years now. Each release gets better and better. Version 12 is awesome and very stable.

I have my preferences set to back up my catalog (referenced files) every time that I quit the application as I have found the catalogues of previous versions to be rather fragile.

Regards,
Bud James

Please check out my fine art and travel photography at www.budjames.photography or on Instagram at www.instagram.com/budjamesphoto.
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up