Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Art of photography: landscape, street, wildlife?  (Read 2490 times)

BJL

Art of photography: landscape, street, wildlife?
« on: November 30, 2018, 11:02:59 pm »

The Art of Photography has only two sections for particular genres: “Landscape” and “Street”. Isn’t there enough interest for one or two others, such as “Wildlife”or “Nature”? For one thing, a home for RSL’s Sandhill Crane!

BJL

Re: Art of photography: landscape, street, wildlife?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 03:13:03 pm »

I’ve almost been persuaded to reverse my suggestion: I still think that image sharing and discussion belongs under “The Art of Photography”, not “Equipment and Techniques” (where “Landscape and Nature Photography” lives), but fragmenting genres and then debating what goes where seems to have been an unfortunate or at least controversial idea.

Maybe just use “User Critiques” (as happened with monochrome), or for those who are more interested in sharing than criticism, how about a new grand unified “Image Showcase”?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 04:24:07 pm »

There are five pages of the same debate in this thread:

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=127760.msg1080375#msg1080375

BJL

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 07:29:04 pm »

There are five pages of the same debate in this thread:

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=127760.msg1080375#msg1080375
No; that was yet another outbreak of the possibly futile debate about defining “street”—and in an absurd location for such discussion. I am now asking if we should cut the Gordian knot by eliminating genre–segregation in showcases.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 09:02:38 pm »

No; that was yet another outbreak of the possibly futile debate about defining “street”—and in an absurd location for such discussion. I am now asking if we should cut the Gordian knot by eliminating genre–segregation in showcases.

You didn’t read that thread fully, it seems. It is not about Street, but about genres and categorization.

On page 2, response #33, I said:

Or much, much simpler: one forum - Showcase.

Within that forum, anyone can start a thread on whatever theme, genre, etc. It could be a single picture thread, or an open thread. Open threads can develop into multiple pages, just like Rob’s Without Prejudice.

BJL

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 10:54:15 pm »

You didn’t read that thread fully, it seems. It is not about Street, but about genres and categorization.

On page 2, response #33, I said:..
I’ll confess that after suffering through a few more posts debating street semantics, your promise of five more pages (and at least 32 before getting to the one you quote) discouraged me from reading on. So thank you for quoting your comment; with which I am now inclined to agree. But I do think it is best aired here, not only in following comments on an image post in a showcase!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2018, 11:54:23 pm »

... But I do think it is best aired here, not only in following comments on an image post in a showcase!

Agreed.

It is a pity that Hans’ thread got so hijacked.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 11:57:13 pm »

I must admit that I strongly support Slobodan's suggestion for a single forum: Showcase.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2018, 05:24:13 am »

I must admit that I strongly support Slobodan's suggestion for a single forum: Showcase.

+100

;-)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2018, 06:51:21 am »

I also fully agree with this idea and that it (the newly combined Showcase Section) should then be placed at the top of the forum listings, or very near to it. After all, whenever Kevin (or Michael when he was in control) post one of their images to the site, it is always showcased right at the top of the first page, so people browsing the site are more inclined to look at it. So if this site wants to attract many more paying viewers to its forum, then surely that part of the forum where paying users are willing to upload and showcase their work, should also be placed in a prominent part of the site, or at least in a prominent part of the forum area of the site?

I also believe the image viewing sections of this site, are where the bulk of the visitor hits take place, so why isn't it in a suitably prominent place on the site to make it easier to find?

Dave

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2018, 08:12:09 am »

I also fully agree with this idea and that it (the newly combined Showcase Section) should then be placed at the top of the forum listings, or very near to it. After all, whenever Kevin (or Michael when he was in control) post one of their images to the site, it is always showcased right at the top of the first page, so people browsing the site are more inclined to look at it. So if this site wants to attract many more paying viewers to its forum, then surely that part of the forum where paying users are willing to upload and showcase their work, should also be placed in a prominent part of the site, or at least in a prominent part of the forum area of the site?

I also believe the image viewing sections of this site, are where the bulk of the visitor hits take place, so why isn't it in a suitably prominent place on the site to make it easier to find?

Dave

Once again, +100.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 10:08:55 am »

I agree with the "Holistic Showcase" suggestion.

But to, honestly, there are more necessary clean-ups in the entire forum categories; there is too much redundancy/overlap, not enough clarity where to post things.

Arlen

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 02:20:13 pm »

Dave

But to, honestly, there are more necessary clean-ups in the entire forum categories; there is too much redundancy/overlap, not enough clarity where to post things.

I agree with both of these sentiments.

faberryman

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 02:24:52 pm »

I agree with both of these sentiments.
The are probably more photos in the Fun With XXX threads in the equipment section than in the Art of Photography section.

John R

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2018, 02:02:45 am »

My view. Yes, one Showcase will work (and for all intents and purposes is currently working) because there are so few contributors. But you still need some basic organization and simple rules to help facilitate viewers and contributors interest. This will become even more necessary when the number of posters and images goes up. Think about viewers coming to LuLa for first time and not just long time contributors. Why change Landscape as category (or sub-showcase), especially on site called LuLa? It works beautifully. Architecture appears to be about 20 or more percent of images posted, that would be nice too. Why so many threads on bw work? Simply create one sub-showcase for all bw work. You can always post in or create other threads within or outside of BW. These should be at least some sub-showcases under one Showcase. How about the showcasing of Medium format images? Should it have its own sub-showcase instead of a thread? That may drum up interest for medium format. You never know when someone Googles medium format, and what comes up may be LuLa. All the rest can go under One Showcase until change is needed. Very basic. I have nothing against one showcase, but some organization will help facilitate viewers interest. If people want to try one showcase with no categories, by all means try it.

What I like most about contributors on this site is that they often make interesting comments about their images. Stories, why they took an image or what they like about it, how they took it, etc...

JR

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 05:17:43 am »

I'm all for keeping it simple. How about this:

Main category Showcase with subsections:
- usercritique
- landscape & nature
- urban & people
- miscellaneous

To be decided:
- bw & monochrome
- abstract & impressionist
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Martin Kristiansen

• Martin Kristiansen
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 05:40:54 am »

I'm all for keeping it simple. How about this:

Main category Showcase with subsections:
- usercritique
- landscape & nature
- urban & people
- miscellaneous

To be decided:
- bw & monochrome
- abstract & impressionist

I think that is the most sensible and straightforward suggestion.
Commercial photography is 10% inspiration and 90% moving furniture around.

John R

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 03:24:42 pm »

I think that is the most sensible and straightforward suggestion.
I wasn't going to include Critique in the Showcase, but I am good with it and like it overall.

JR
Pages: [1]   Go Up