Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't match two monitors  (Read 3039 times)

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
Re: Can't match two monitors
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2018, 05:00:04 am »

But the problem is immediately obvious and very significant. So, would it be possible to simplify the sensing to solve the problem? I.e. the right tricolor sensor, or even some kind of bicolor sensor, might be able to solve this on the cheap.

No, it wouldn't - it would only made things much worse. The problem is that our perception works in a dynamic and complex way. "It's like trying to measure a moving
target with a rubber ruler" ;)
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

GWGill

• Author of ArgyllCMS & ArgyllPRO ColorMeter
    • ArgyllCMS
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2018, 07:55:00 am »

The issue is most probably caused by postreceptoral chromatic adaptation.
Two spectra being a color match is a property of the cone responses though, and has nothing to do with post cone processing, unless you are in the mesopic light levels and rods contribute.

It is possible that there are other factors though, for instance different colored surrounds or ambient lighting around the displays can throw off a color match by setting different adaptation points, or the fact that the 10 degree observer has a different CMF (due to less macula pigment), so a match at 2 degrees may appear as a mismatch at 10 degrees if the two displays have different spectra.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2018, 09:58:10 am »

Two spectra being a color match is a property of the cone responses though, and has nothing to do with post cone processing, unless you are in the mesopic light levels and rods contribute.

It is possible that there are other factors though, for instance different colored surrounds or ambient lighting around the displays can throw off a color match by setting different adaptation points, or the fact that the 10 degree observer has a different CMF (due to less macula pigment), so a match at 2 degrees may appear as a mismatch at 10 degrees if the two displays have different spectra.

I'm matching ambient lightning to L*50 grey on a display:

I use various 2 deg and 10 deg CMF's as workaround solution - I'm calibrating display using different observers until I find the one that gives good matching, but there's no CMF that works well for both displays with different backlight.

Doug Gray

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2018, 11:13:31 am »

Matching two monitors that have different backlight tech can be done if your profiling software can be set to xy coordinates. and not just CCT. You profile your main one normally, usually in combo with your hard proof lighting, then find the "white" on the second monitor that visually appears the same as white on the first. I've used Photoshop by creating a "white" blank image on the second monitor then adjusting the RGB levels so that the white appears the same as the first monitor. Then measure the xyY (xy is color, Y is luminance) with the same device that you will use to profile the second monitor. Profile the second monitor but set the color using the measured xy and the light level using the measured Y usually in cd/m^2.

This is the best approach I've found to getting cooperation between two monitors with different backlight tech but you need profiling software that lets you set the xy values.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2018, 11:51:32 am »

Matching two monitors that have different backlight tech can be done if your profiling software can be set to xy coordinates. and not just CCT. You profile your main one normally, usually in combo with your hard proof lighting, then find the "white" on the second monitor that visually appears the same as white on the first. I've used Photoshop by creating a "white" blank image on the second monitor then adjusting the RGB levels so that the white appears the same as the first monitor. Then measure the xyY (xy is color, Y is luminance) with the same device that you will use to profile the second monitor. Profile the second monitor but set the color using the measured xy and the light level using the measured Y usually in cd/m^2.

This is the best approach I've found to getting cooperation between two monitors with different backlight tech but you need profiling software that lets you set the xy values.

Yes - it's obvious, but time consuming. Once you'll find CMF that gives neutral results for a certain backlight type it makes thing easier and faster for the next time. Although I have impression it's not CMF related issue, still it's stupid but (sometimes) works, so it isn't stupid ;)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2018, 12:23:11 pm »

Yes - it's obvious, but time consuming.
Indeed and all this is easily solved by spending more money: buy two identical color reference displays.  ;)
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2018, 06:13:30 pm »

It's like trying to read the same coordinates from two different GPS's.   They'll never match.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up