Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Veteran  (Read 1624 times)

Rob C

Another Veteran
« on: November 25, 2018, 01:04:05 pm »

https://potd.pdnonline.com/2018/11/54498/#gallery-1

Unless I'm confusing myself, I think he was also a painter.

degrub

Re: Another Veteran
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 01:10:30 pm »

https://www.louisstettner.com/biography/

He certainly understood light.

John R

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 10:06:29 pm »

Just went through his works. I found it eye-opening that not one image was razor sharp. But all were fine shots nonetheless. Jis paintings and sculptures were very interesting. Some kind of symbolism in those works, I think.

JR

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 03:45:48 am »

Just went through his works. I found it eye-opening that not one image was razor sharp. But all were fine shots nonetheless. Jis paintings and sculptures were very interesting. Some kind of symbolism in those works, I think.

JR

Yep, outwith commercial considerations, ultimate sharpness can be more of a distraction than a blessing. As I have alluded to before, it's the reason for dim lights, soft music and careful makeup. Reality, by definition, includes warts and all.

By the very same token it's why I see the madness surrounding lens mania, pixel mania and all the rest of this stuff as a massive subversion and distraction by the servants of Mammon. Those things have nothing much positive (lovely word, that) to do with photographic art - quite the opposite, because they destroy fantasy which is at the foundation of all art and artifice. Of course, if one seeks employment in forensics, then other ideals will apply.

;-)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 08:55:44 am by Rob C »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2018, 08:21:40 am »

Yep, outwith commercial considerations, ultimate sharpness can be more of a distraction than a blessing. As I have alluded to before, it's the reason for dim lights, soft music and careful makeup. Reality, by definition, includes warts and all.

By the very same token it's why I see the madness surrounding lens mania, pixel mania and all the rest of this stuff as a massive subversion and distraction by the servants of Mammon. Those things have nothing much positive (lovely word, that) to do with photographic art - quite the oppposite, because they destroy fantasy which is at the foundation of all art and artifice. Of course, if one seeks employment in forensics, then other ideals will apply.

;-)

Exactly! What needs to be sharp is the photographer's eye. . .  and his brain.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 09:14:44 am »

Exactly! What needs to be sharp is the photographer's eye. . .  and his brain.

Now that's a frightening thought as the years roll past...

A day or two ago I watched an English expat with a business in Belgium and branches throughout Europe explain, without pause for words or hesitations of any kind, why, for her, Brexit represented partial ruin and a disaster in the making. Now, all politics aside, I was thunderstruck to observe a person so focussed and aware as to be able to speak, on camera, so clearly, distinctly, without pause, and with neither an err, umm, like, nor other extraneous word whatsoever. I would have found mysef lost for words, my mind in absolute confusion and incipient meltdown. I see the same ability in my granddaughters. Clearly, nothing much there genetic from me!

Rob

faberryman

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 09:38:43 am »

Well, there is lack of sharpness from unintentional camera shake, unintentional out of focus, and low lens resolution. I see a lot of people claiming sharpness is a bourgeois concept to excuse the first two which are just poor technique. The third reason is forgivable, though not really relevant with respect to modern lenses.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2018, 10:11:28 am »

Clearly, nothing much there genetic from me!

Rob

Don't be too sure of that, Rob. Age takes it toll. When I was teaching, when I was mayor of my city, I could think on my feet. Can't do that very well any longer. A week ago I gave a lecture on light -- specifically on boosting and correcting ambient with speedlights. Had to lay out the whole thing in advance. Didn't use a script, but had a list of topics in front of me that I wouldn't have needed at all forty years ago. Time marches on. Clump, clump, clump.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 11:37:12 am »

Well, there is lack of sharpness from unintentional camera shake, unintentional out of focus, and low lens resolution. I see a lot of people claiming sharpness is a bourgeois concept to excuse the first two which are just poor technique. The third reason is forgivable, though not really relevant with respect to modern lenses.

Which brings us neatly to the sharp print of a fuzzy concept. Where would you categorise that as fitting in the grander scheme of photographic thought?

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 12:47:18 pm »

I'd prefer to use a lens that is capable of "sharpness" when needed rather than a lens that isn't.

That's the beauty of the pencil.

faberryman

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 01:27:19 pm »

Which brings us neatly to the sharp print of a fuzzy concept. Where would you categorise that as fitting in the grander scheme of photographic thought?
Well, at least it's sharp, so your technique is reasonably good, and you can now work on improving your vision. Beats a fuzzy print of a fuzzy concept.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 01:36:04 pm by faberryman »

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 03:23:54 pm »

Well, at least it's sharp, so your technique is reasonably good, and you can now work on improving your vision. Beats a fuzzy print of a fuzzy concept.

But there you are: basing credibility on crispness!

:-)

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 03:25:53 pm »

I'd prefer to use a lens that is capable of "sharpness" when needed rather than a lens that isn't.

That's the beauty of the pencil.

And of the Swiss Army Knife!

faberryman

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 03:56:24 pm »

But there you are: basing credibility on crispness!
Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion, but you are welcome to it.

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 04:34:41 pm »

And of the Swiss Army Knife!

Well, yes, I suppose the Swiss Army Knife is capable of putting a point on that pencil.

My point was the pencil is capable of producing both a sharp or soft image, as are many lenses, whereas the knife is only of use when sharp.

;-)

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 05:00:20 pm »

Well, yes, I suppose the Swiss Army Knife is capable of putting a point on that pencil.

My point was the pencil is capable of producing both a sharp or soft image, as are many lenses, whereas the knife is only of use when sharp.

;-)

For a knife, isn't that enough? Especially when whittling sticks?

Pages: [1]   Go Up