Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Epson Yellow in previous series printers.  (Read 594 times)

deanwork

New Epson Yellow in previous series printers.
« on: November 24, 2018, 09:45:54 am »

I have a refirbushed Epson 7890 that is like new with new heads and dampers installed. The whole printer is like new and barely used. I haven’t been using it really yet but when turned on never is there even a hint of a clogged nozzle.

I’m seriously thinking about putting an inkjet mall refillable cart in it and putting the new Epson yellow in it by taking the new ink out of its cart and refilling it. I can then put in Cones new MK and PK that have significantly darker dmax. These blacks are working perfectly in these printers. Of course I have to make custom profiles.

I know Epson would tell you to buy a new printer, they always do, but I’m wondering if anyone is doing this or if anyone knows for sure if there is an obvious viscosity difference that would make the new yellow clog the heads.

Obviously I don’t want to destroy the new print head but I really want the longevity improvement if I’m going to use this printer a lot.

John
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 09:49:24 am by deanwork »

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: New Epson Yellow in previous series printers.
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 02:07:36 pm »

John
Great question. I am interested as well.
I refill my 9900 with OEM K3 ink and would love to know the compatibility between the K3 and K3HD and K3 HDX.
We also run a P8000 setup as dye sub and a standard P800.
I have a whole new box of HDX carts that came with the P8000 and would like to try the same same you are contemplating.
By the way the refillables work great in the 9900.

BrianWJH

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 05:06:36 pm »

John
Great question. I am interested as well.
I refill my 9900 with OEM K3 ink and would love to know the compatibility between the K3 and K3HD and K3 HDX.
We also run a P8000 setup as dye sub and a standard P800.
I have a whole new box of HDX carts that came with the P8000 and would like to try the same same you are contemplating.
By the way the refillables work great in the 9900.

Dan, my understanding is that the 9900, 7900, 9890 and 7890 all use as stated by Epson literature "Epson UltraChrome K3/HDR", so there is implied compatibility with K3HD and the aforementioned printers whereas the newer K3 HDX inks only appear to be branded HDX for the Orange, Green and Violet pigments used in the newer SureColor range of printers.

The recent Aardenburg Conservation Display ratings as I understand it used the HD ink set for the testing not the newest HDX inks, I may be wrong and stand corrected if so.

Brian.

deanwork

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 08:26:20 pm »

The new yellow is absolutely a different ink, and as Mark has observed, that is the variable in the new inkset that is bumping up the fade test improvements. I’ve been kind of holding off doing this untill someone else has tried it :-) .  The thing is the heads are the same on these new printers but they do have a revamped pump set up offering more pressure, and apparently less clogs. Cones new high  density MK is functioning normally in the 9890/7890s so I can’t imagine why a yellow would cause issues.

Dan, my understanding is that the 9900, 7900, 9890 and 7890 all use as stated by Epson literature "Epson UltraChrome K3/HDR", so there is implied compatibility with K3HD and the aforementioned printers whereas the newer K3 HDX inks only appear to be branded HDX for the Orange, Green and Violet pigments used in the newer SureColor range of printers.

The recent Aardenburg Conservation Display ratings as I understand it used the HD ink set for the testing not the newest HDX inks, I may be wrong and stand corrected if so.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up