Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Quetion: How do you look at the posted pictures  (Read 806 times)

rabanito

Newbie Quetion: How do you look at the posted pictures
« on: November 24, 2018, 09:03:09 am »

I was looking at the many beautiful pictures posted around here and  I asked to myself
"Am I looking at what the artist posted or just something similar?"
Probably the photographer made some effort to present his photographs exactly as he wanted.
But now. If I watch them on my calibrated monitor there is something there and if I see them on my uncalibrated one there is something different
So is there a recommended standard which everyone of us should follow when posting pictures or looking at them?
Say something like a warning  "It's to be expected that a posted picture is the result as seen in a calibrated monitor. If otherwise, you very probably are not going to be able to appreciate it correctly"
Most of people who are not photographers or similar use uncalibrated monitors.
Please note  that I am just a newbie and perhaps do not express myself clearly and maybe an answer is among the post I didn't still read. Tks

JNB_Rare

• JNB54
Re: Newbie Quetion: How do you look at the posted pictures
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 10:27:07 am »

Compared to the average web-goer, a higher percentage of LuLa participants will be using a calibrated monitor. A smaller percentage of LuLa participants will be using a monitor (and browser!) capable of displaying a gamut larger than 95-100% sRGB, however. And almost no one outside of photographers and the graphics industry will. My images will always be processed on a calibrated, high-gamut system. However, I output sRGB jpegs for posting on the web, both here and elsewhere. It's the best compromise I can think of (but I'm always interested in others opinions).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 10:33:28 am by JNB_Rare »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 11:49:55 am »

Just check it on an iPad or iPhone, that’s how it should look. In other words, if your system is properly calibrated, an image processed on your desktop will look pretty much the same on iPhone or iPad. And these dayes, that is where most of non-photographer crowd is going to see it anyway.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 08:51:57 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

rabanito

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 06:44:37 am »

Just check it on an iPad or iPhone, that’s how it should look. In other words, if your system is properly calibrated, an image preceded on your desktop will look pretty much the same on iPhone or iPad.

Hmmm... I gave it a try and actually it doesn't. Maybe because my phone uses Android?
Jokes aside, and accepting that I'm not knowledgeable in iPhone's (or anyother phone's) displays, my monitor seems to be properly calibrated.
First of all I trust my Spider 3. What else could I do ? :-) Secondly I recalibrate  my monitor every 4 months and Thirdly the soft proofing seems to work satisfactorily with the profiles provided by Hahnemühle and Epson, the papers I use so this also looks acceptable.

Another question to the forum could be "Why do we speak of 'properly calibrated' instead of just 'calibrated' "?
Kind of a "pleonasmus" isn't it?
IMHO a monitor is either (properly-) calibrated or it is not. No shades of gray :-)

Please correct me, I came here to learn.

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 08:53:43 am »

Pet peeve: unless you are using a monitor that can load LUTs, or a hardware LUT box, you are not calibrating your displays, you are profiling them. Quite the difference.

rabanito

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 10:10:59 am »

Pet peeve: unless you are using a monitor that can load LUTs, or a hardware LUT box, you are not calibrating your displays, you are profiling them. Quite the difference.
I stand corrected but actually it is forgiveable that I as a lowly amateur use the vocabulary of the masses and the manuals from Datacolor  ;D

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 10:41:15 am »

Hear, hear, Rab.  :D :D
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

degrub

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 01:14:20 pm »

I stand corrected but actually it is forgiveable that I as a lowly amateur use the vocabulary of the masses and the manuals from Datacolor  ;D

you can start with this post. There are tutorials abounding here about the subject. And several experts (not me) in the subject.
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=127659.0

rabanito

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 04:13:48 pm »

you can start with this post. There are tutorials abounding here about the subject. And several experts (not me) in the subject.
https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=127659.0

I've already taken a look. Thank you.

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 01:03:48 pm »

Just check it on an iPad or iPhone, that’s how it should look. In other words, if your system is properly calibrated, an image processed on your desktop will look pretty much the same on iPhone or iPad. And these dayes, that is where most of non-photographer crowd is going to see it anyway.
Are you a Mac salesman?  ;D The majority of non-photographers will be looking at it on an Android device.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 01:12:10 pm »

Are you a Mac salesman?  ;D The majority of non-photographers will be looking at it on an Android device.

Apple is the master product, defining the category, others are just me-too. Just as we use "googling" to mean searching the internet.

rabanito

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 01:21:22 pm »

The majority of non-photographers will be looking at it on an Android device.
In some countries you can get shot for looking at art in a cellphone.
A great insult.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 01:56:42 pm »

In some countries you can get shot for looking at art in a cellphone.
A great insult.

In some counties you can get shot for looking at the wrong person  ;)

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 04:33:58 am »

Apple is the master product, defining the category, others are just me-too. Just as we use "googling" to mean searching the internet.
True but you can loose control of a trademark of you let it become generic, I will be hoovering my carpet this morning with a Dyson vacuum cleaner  ::) .
Pages: [1]   Go Up