Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows and Apple networking and iMac value  (Read 4946 times)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
Re: Windows and Apple networking and iMac value
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2018, 12:27:00 am »

Actually, I won't need the computer for another three months while the room is made ready.  So do you think the price might go down even more?  I might pay to wait?

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2018, 07:44:10 am »

Actually, I won't need the computer for another three months while the room is made ready.  So do you think the price might go down even more?  I might pay to wait?

With Apple is difficult to know but the iMac has a long overdue update... maybe it happens in the next three months

http://dgpfotografia.com

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2018, 09:14:38 am »

Better yet, get it now and start playing with it so you can learn it’s OS.  The same happened to me years ago.  After decades of being a windows guy, my wife wanted a Mac so she got one.  Like no story short, no windows machines left in my home, but 5 Macs, a couple of iPhones and watches, plus a few iPads. Just for the record there was no real problems with networking Macs and PCs.  But we do use iCloud quite a bit now even though I have a very high capacity NAS.
Craig Lamson Photo

degrub

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2018, 10:39:09 am »

That scenario (learn the OS) would push me towards a mini that would sit behind my monitor and integrate with existing kb/mouse.

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2018, 11:50:30 am »

That scenario (learn the OS) would push me towards a mini that would sit behind my monitor and integrate with existing kb/mouse.

That as exactly what I did after buying my wife a MacBook Pro. I still have it😁
Craig Lamson Photo

Joe Towner

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2018, 12:56:19 pm »

Hey Alan, you should go look at it, but I would hesitate to purchase at the moment.  How are your wifes eyes, and for that matter, how are yours? 

The 21.5" screen is running at 4K, and while that works great for some, others have an issue with the small pixel sizes.  Doing either the 2018 Mac Mini, or even the 2014 model Mac Mini and pair it with a better monitor for her - be it non-4K or just a larger size.
t: @PNWMF

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2018, 02:19:52 pm »

Why would you want a mini instead of an iMac?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2018, 02:35:07 pm »

Hey Alan, you should go look at it, but I would hesitate to purchase at the moment.  How are your wifes eyes, and for that matter, how are yours? 

The 21.5" screen is running at 4K, and while that works great for some, others have an issue with the small pixel sizes.  Doing either the 2018 Mac Mini, or even the 2014 model Mac Mini and pair it with a better monitor for her - be it non-4K or just a larger size.
he 21.5" iMac is 2k not 4k screen. 

Joe Towner

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2018, 01:04:35 am »

The 21.5" iMac is 2k not 4k screen.

Check again Alan - the model in your the Best Buy link is the 4K screen "21.5-inch (diagonal) 4096-by- 2304 Retina 4K display"  Only the base model iMac for $1,099 has a 2K screen.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-21-5-imac-intel-core-i5-3-0ghz-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-silver/4881100.p?skuId=4881100

The reason for a Mac Mini instead of an iMac is that you can pair it with any display you want, not just the one Apple sells.  The Mac Mini is more powerful and will have longer legs, but that doesn't sound like an upside for you.  It comes down to the screen for most folks - and horsepower.  The Mac Mini can be upgraded and accessorized to compete with the Mac Pro's - especially with the new eGPU's (external graphics cards).

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2018, 01:27:25 am »

Check again Alan - the model in your the Best Buy link is the 4K screen "21.5-inch (diagonal) 4096-by- 2304 Retina 4K display"  Only the base model iMac for $1,099 has a 2K screen.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/apple-21-5-imac-intel-core-i5-3-0ghz-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-silver/4881100.p?skuId=4881100

The reason for a Mac Mini instead of an iMac is that you can pair it with any display you want, not just the one Apple sells.  The Mac Mini is more powerful and will have longer legs, but that doesn't sound like an upside for you.  It comes down to the screen for most folks - and horsepower.  The Mac Mini can be upgraded and accessorized to compete with the Mac Pro's - especially with the new eGPU's (external graphics cards).

Sorry Joe, that was the wrong link I gave.  Here's the right one.  It has limited power.  But my wife only browses and does simple home office type stuff.  This model has 21.5" 1920x1080 native resolution screen.  Drive=  1 TB 2.5" SATA (5400 rpm), 8gb memory, Intel I5 dual core 2.3GHz cpu[/font][/size]

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1342554-REG/apple_mmqa2ll_a_21_5_imac_mid_2017.html

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2018, 08:09:48 am »

Please don't buy in 2018 any computer without a SSD, without more than 8GB or RAM, and without a HiDPI (retina) screen.

The person who recommended against 4k screen is clueless. The 1080p screen and the 4k screen display UI elements (buttons, text) at exactly the same size, only at 2x more linear resolution (4x more pixels!). If you have bad eyesight, the retina display is strictly better (plus on retina screens you can change the size of the UI elements...). There is no justification for a low-DPI screen today. Just like there isn't any for a HDD today. And my web browser uses more than 8GB RAM alone.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 08:15:02 am by Aram Hăvărneanu »

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2018, 11:20:26 am »

Please don't buy in 2018 any computer without a SSD, without more than 8GB or RAM, and without a HiDPI (retina) screen.

The person who recommended against 4k screen is clueless. The 1080p screen and the 4k screen display UI elements (buttons, text) at exactly the same size, only at 2x more linear resolution (4x more pixels!). If you have bad eyesight, the retina display is strictly better (plus on retina screens you can change the size of the UI elements...). There is no justification for a low-DPI screen today. Just like there isn't any for a HDD today. And my web browser uses more than 8GB RAM alone.

Aram,  Thanks for your thoughts.  My wife doesn't do photography.  She only does internet, email, iPhone,  messages, Word, Excel, printing, etc.  Shouldn't this unit be sufficient?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1342554-REG/apple_mmqa2ll_a_21_5_imac_mid_2017.html

jrsforums

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2018, 11:28:12 am »

Aram,  Thanks for your thoughts.  My wife doesn't do photography.  She only does internet, email, iPhone,  messages, Word, Excel, printing, etc.  Shouldn't this unit be sufficient?

Alan, what monitor do you have on PC.  I would expect she would be happy with similar.  Possibly not with less.
John

Joe Towner

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2018, 01:30:01 pm »

Alan, the B&H link for $900 is perfectly fine - if you start playing with it I would recommend taking it in and doing the SSD & RAM upgrade.

As for advocating against 4K and such, not everyone is a spring chick, and having folks look at and use the screen to confirm what their eyes are most comfortable with is important.  HD at 27" is fine - I had a client who was using a 42" screen at 720P because of viewing distance and usability.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2018, 06:01:51 pm »

My Windows PC monitor is 24 inch 1080. I think the 21 and a half inch would be fine for her. I doubt if I would have to modify the system. The only thing holding it up now is that she can't use it right now until the room is built and I'm wondering whether or not I should wait if they going to come out with an updated model in the next three months.

faberryman

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2018, 06:08:48 pm »

My Windows PC monitor is 24 inch 1080. I think the 21 and a half inch would be fine for her. I doubt if I would have to modify the system. The only thing holding it up now is that she can't use it right now until the room is built and I'm wondering whether or not I should wait if they going to come out with an updated model in the next three months.
The may come out with an updated model, but it will certainly be more expensive.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2018, 07:35:50 pm »

The may come out with an updated model, but it will certainly be more expensive.
But won;t the ones that are out now drop in price so I can get more bang for the buck?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2018, 07:52:19 pm »

would I be better off with 256M SSD rather than 1TB HD @5400?

degrub

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2018, 08:56:27 pm »

for speed of access, initial boot, and reliability,  yes, i would always choose and SSD or NVme over rotating rust. Once you get past initial application or OS loading or file loading, you may not see much practical difference for your wife's usage.
For backup or less frequent usage storage, regular USB C/USB3 drives are fine. 
For your wife's application (light office), though all you really need is 128GB of boot disk/local storage in an SSD or NVme drive.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2018, 10:11:01 pm »

for speed of access, initial boot, and reliability,  yes, i would always choose and SSD or NVme over rotating rust. Once you get past initial application or OS loading or file loading, you may not see much practical difference for your wife's usage.
For backup or less frequent usage storage, regular USB C/USB3 drives are fine. 
For your wife's application (light office), though all you really need is 128GB of boot disk/local storage in an SSD or NVme drive.

There's a $300 premium upgrade charge for replacing the 1tb HD with a 256gb SSD.  Is it worth it?
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=6490&fct=fct_imac-model_6406%7cimac-21.5in&N=4110474295
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up