Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Untitled  (Read 699 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Untitled
« on: November 22, 2018, 07:59:40 am »

Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

Re: Untitled
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 08:29:09 am »

I know that guy!

:-)

RSL

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 09:27:23 am »

Right, Rob. This guy reminds me of a Jonathan Winters radio skit from the sixties. A young man is cast ashore in a tropical paradise. The tribe’s gentle medicine man takes him under his wing, and teaches him the local ropes, ending each instructional aphorism with the words, “my son.” Eventually the guy screws up and goes to bed with the wrong girl. When he’s hauled out before the tribe to be executed, he appeals to his teacher, saying: “But I’m too young to die.” After a short silence, the medicine man comes back with a quiet: “T.S., my son.” Of course that was in the sixties, so Winters quickly explains, “Tough situation. That means ‘tough situation.’”

John R

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 09:42:08 am »

Funny story Russ. But the well seen angle of light really does give him the definition that reinforces his benign look. He may look benign, but he still reminds me of Easter Island sculptures, a story that did not end well for the people of that island.

JR

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 10:42:07 am »

Funny story Russ. But the well seen angle of light really does give him the definition that reinforces his benign look. He may look benign, but he still reminds me of Easter Island sculptures, a story that did not end well for the people of that island.

JR

And as far as I can remember, those islanders are still trying to get one back from the U.K.! Some folks never learn. Just like the Greeks, who also want back some marbles.

I despair: history is supposed to teach us a lot.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 11:45:10 am »

And as far as I can remember, those islanders are still trying to get one back from the U.K.! Some folks never learn. Just like the Greeks, who also want back some marbles.

I despair: history is supposed to teach us a lot.

They are indeed: in fact, a leader from Rapa Nui has been in London just this week, doing a dance outside the British Museum.

The only thing that history teaches us is that we learn nothing from history. I forget who said that.

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 12:48:27 pm »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/21/world/asia/american-killed-andaman-island-tribe.html

"Isolated Tribe Kills American With Bow and Arrow on Remote Indian Island"

BobDavid

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 03:01:56 pm »

amusing photo even without the story

RSL

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 03:36:16 pm »

JR

It wouldn't surprise me, John, to find that he was copied from a picture of an Easter Island sculpture. I shot him at a very busy garden sale, so I couldn't ask. I doubt the vendor had a clue anyway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up