Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A new ink?  (Read 789 times)

enduser

A new ink?
« on: November 21, 2018, 06:49:53 pm »

The name "Durafirm" is resonating around the re-filling world at the moment. This quote from their site makes some claims that members here might know about.
 "Our Durafirm Technology ink is a Uni-Kit exclusive product, and is used in hundreds of professional refill stores around the world as well as by thousands of home and business refillers. Durafirm Technology inks print as well or better than some OEM (original equipment manufacturer) inks, with vibrant and vivid colors, archival photo printing qualities (prints last longer when exposed to UV rays), and more waterproof qualities than most OEM inks."
Any comments?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: A new ink?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 07:16:13 pm »

Yes. Do they cite independent verification of their claims?
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

enduser

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 08:03:24 pm »

As you and I suspect, all the claims are without any verification of any sort.  The claim that "prints last longer when exposed to UV rays" is laughable, but, could that be at all possible?  When doing research in a lab I was always given goggles whenever UV light was involved and I've only ever regarded UV exposure as damaging for any imaging papers.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:09:34 pm by enduser »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 08:05:13 pm »

Yup - what I thought.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 04:38:27 am »

I guess that ad information lacks the line "compared to dye inks" .

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 09:06:45 am »

As you and I suspect, all the claims are without any verification of any sort.  The claim that "prints last longer when exposed to UV rays" is laughable, but, could that be at all possible?  When doing research in a lab I was always given goggles whenever UV light was involved and I've only ever regarded UV exposure as damaging for any imaging papers.
It's possible that they have developed a new polymer for encapsulating color molecules making them more UV resistant.  However, a quick Google search indicates that the product is a dye based ink and I cannot find any link other than seller pages that make the claims that this ink has better permanence.  Unless one has access to the formulation or actual permanence testing it's all a bunch of BS.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 09:32:46 am »

It's possible that they have developed a new polymer for encapsulating color molecules making them more UV resistant.  However, a quick Google search indicates that the product is a dye based ink and I cannot find any link other than seller pages that make the claims that this ink has better permanence.  Unless one has access to the formulation or actual permanence testing it's all a bunch of BS.

Probably. I think the bottom line is that without credible independent thirty-party testing, this is "use at your own risk".
Pages: [1]   Go Up