• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
For Rob
« on: November 17, 2018, 09:33:47 pm »

A better car metaphor:

Rob C

Re: For Rob
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 08:55:58 am »

Nope, if I was going to do it then it would really have to be Dixie, with appropriate soundtrack when required.

It simply doesn't work out with a UK translation. Only the Beatles were able to raise obscure British locations to any sort of wider recognition; as I have pointed out in the past, there's something to San Francisco, NY. NY., with Route 66 and Sweet Home Chicago that doesn't work with the A1, the M24, Glasgow, Ipswich or Nottingham.

It has to have the trace memories of Hollywood, Nashville, New Orleans and a zillion other items to generate the familiarity and the dream - the American Dream, I guess, which everbody recognises wherever they live. If you live in a celler, then maybe France and Italy can bring you a credible movie-based alternative.

Love 'em or loath some of 'em, the USA is still The Man when it comes to these things.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2018, 11:47:19 am »

It is a Brexit* metaphor ;)

* or the latest incarnation: Brexsh*t

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2018, 12:28:04 pm »

It is a Brexit* metaphor ;)

* or the latest incarnation: Brexsh*t

Right over my head! But yeah, that Mini sure boxed itself into a trap.

Brexit is on for breakfast today and even for lunch. The best part of it is watching the reactions of an uncomprehending Europe on its own media.

If the rest of my countrymen looked beyond their nose for a different perspective, instead of watching and cheering the antics of the Conservative grandees, the apparent paralysis of the Opposition to do anything but punt both ways at once, the tv personalities play at pundits and do little but pour gasoline on the flames, there might be a brief crack in the craziness for a little sobriety to shine through just long enough to be noted, along with the rocks, and a little rudder applied.

Well, maybe the Mini will be craned out again... Ironic if Mini, Rolls-Royce and Bentley are physically removed to be built elsewhere, right at home inside their parent companies.

But who'd a thunk it could happen!

N.B. This has been an apolitical exchange based on car decoration and television programming; no need for hysteria, so unbuckle your gunbelts, dear boys.

Rob

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 12:41:12 pm »

N.B. This has been an apolitical exchange based on car decoration and television programming; no need for hysteria, so unbuckle your gunbelts, dear boys.

It started like that but it, like Mae West, it has drifted. My hand is poised over the open flap of the holster.

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 02:06:38 pm »

It started like that but it, like Mae West, it has drifted. My hand is poised over the open flap of the holster.

Jeremy

;-)

High Noon avoided - I think!

Rob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 07:25:57 am »

Jeremy

No gunfighter in the old west would dare have a flap on his holster...His sure death.

Peter

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 07:47:27 am »

Exactly, Peter. I can see that Jeremy never watched "Have Gun, Will Travel."
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2018, 07:48:27 am »

No gunfighter in the old west would dare have a flap on his holster...His sure death.

Peter

I wasn't going to say, but yes, and a swivel holster would have been even faster. However, this takes us into format arguments and GAS, so I won't follow through any further.

:-)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 01:43:30 pm »

Exactly, Peter. I can see that Jeremy never watched "Have Gun, Will Travel."

Correct, Russ. In my defence, I was four when it finished and living in a different country.

But I shall make sure that my next holster has no flap, just in case.

I do recall a cartoon a long time ago, I think in the New Yorker, showing two men wearing large hats standing over the body of a third. The caption read "It must be an awful blow to the ego to consider oneself the fastest gun in the West and then discover one isn't". Or something like that.

Jeremy

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2018, 04:08:07 pm »

Probably not a blow to the ego unless your ego goes with you into the hereafter.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2018, 04:51:49 pm »

That's a matter of split-second timing.

:-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up