Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Low permanence ratings of Canon Pro-11 inks  (Read 1476 times)

stanbowman

Low permanence ratings of Canon Pro-11 inks
« on: November 14, 2018, 10:18:55 am »

Have some of you seen Henry Wilhelm's latest paper on the low permanence of the new Pro-11 inks for the new Canon Pro series printers? He  shows these inks as almost half as permanent as the older inks used in the Canon 8300-8400 printers and lower than current Epson and HP inks. I am waiting to see if Aardenburg testing also confirms this. I have been thinking of upgrading my 8300 to a Pro-4000 but am now hesitating.
Anyone have thoughts about this?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 09:58:25 am by stanbowman »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Low permanence ratings of Canon Pro-11 inks
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 10:36:54 am »

You must be thinking of the Nov. update paper from Wilhelm Imaging as you wrote about this back in August https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=126315.0. Thanks for bringing this update to our attention. Looking at the data, as I commented before, one needs to ask what priority one should assign to the permanence ratings amongst so many other aspects of selecting a printer. It could be high, medium or low depending. And within that consideration, there is a subset consideration of what one will be doing with the prints. If they are going into dark storage (e.g. being bound into books or going into clamshell boxes), it doesn't matter - whether Epson or Canon it's all good for over 200 years. If being displayed, then the display conditions matter a lot, and the difference between an Epson at 64 years or Canon at 31 years (for one of the papers without UV protection) could be important if they are being displayed that long, but much less important if being displayed with UV protection where the numbers are much improved for both (the Epson remaining longer than the Canon), and so on.

Then of course there are the added dimensions brought to bear by the Aardenburg approach. Latest information I've read suggests these inks are under test, so I would hold off judgment on any of it till we see those results.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

stanbowman

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 12:09:03 pm »

Thanks Mark, yes I am thinking of the Nov. update which I just came across.

Here is the question for me. I have a small printing business and print for a lot of local artists who sell their artwork locally. My Canon 8300 still makes great prints but is now about 7 years old so I am thinking about an upgrade before it suddenly quits on me (did that once about a couple of months ago but got it going again). But the real question is what to tell my clients about the archival permanence of the prints I make for them if I upgrade to a Canon Pro 4000 which according to the Wilhelm data makes prints less permanent than my current 8300.

What I am interested to know if there are others here on Luminous Landscape who seeing the Wilhelm data have similar permanence concerns about the Pro 4000 inks, whether as a printer for others or for their own personal work. And if not, why not?

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 12:41:16 pm »

The permanence rating shouldn't be that gradual between the x300 and Pro series otherwise, I don't think they would have released the new ones.  The ratings are still doing pretty well and the Pro series have been out for about 2 1/2 years and haven't heard many issues on longevity so far.  If there are any issues, it's usually a paper problem or wrong setting used to print with.  I can't say if this is the same for all customers we've sold to but from my personal experience with those I've sold to directly and from what I've heard.  This may be different from other reps (or companies selling them), so I can't confirm these, but I've used the 4000 since it was launched and believe they did a very good job on updating it from the x400 series.

With the updated features and new inkset, it should be pretty close (hopefully better) than the x400 series; but seems like the testing is still in progress with Wilhelm (if I'm not mistaken by a Canon rep's knowledge).

As Mark mentioned, how long are you looking to have the prints for and how will they be handled (presented; storage box, clamshell, etc)?  This will help on the printer choice, but they are all close to the same longevity (except for HP's much longer timeframe IN storage per Wilhelm results).

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 01:12:16 pm »

The permanence rating shouldn't be that gradual between the x300 and Pro series otherwise, I don't think they would have released the new ones.  The ratings are still doing pretty well and the Pro series have been out for about 2 1/2 years and haven't heard many issues on longevity so far.  If there are any issues, it's usually a paper problem or wrong setting used to print with.  I can't say if this is the same for all customers we've sold to but from my personal experience with those I've sold to directly and from what I've heard.  This may be different from other reps (or companies selling them), so I can't confirm these, but I've used the 4000 since it was launched and believe they did a very good job on updating it from the x400 series.

With the updated features and new inkset, it should be pretty close (hopefully better) than the x400 series; but seems like the testing is still in progress with Wilhelm (if I'm not mistaken by a Canon rep's knowledge).

As Mark mentioned, how long are you looking to have the prints for and how will they be handled (presented; storage box, clamshell, etc)?  This will help on the printer choice, but they are all close to the same longevity (except for HP's much longer timeframe IN storage per Wilhelm results).

You can't come to any findings about longevity within 2 1/2 years on the market when the analyses are about decades and centuries - or let me put it this way - if you did it would make utter nonsense of the products and all this testing. And no, they are NOT all close on longevity. Look carefully at the data between Canon and Epson for the different papers and different display conditions and you will see some very considerable variance of estimated outcomes.

deanwork

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 07:32:35 pm »

Yes, Canon totally screwed up and thought we wouldn’t notice their drastic plunge in ink stability. They switched places with Epson. Epson made significant improvements to their yellow channel that helped them get to where Canon was, and Canon went backwards. This is probably the biggest disappointment in the pigment industry, what Canon did.

I’m in the same condition as you. I use my “restored” IpF 8300 still for production work, and will keep it going as long as possible. This is the most durable solid printer I’ve ever owned and I’ve had 7 big Epsons and two Hpzs. My sense is that if the Canon 8300 is cared for, really the most I would expect is to have to replace is heads when they reach their limit. The next most sensitive parts are the head board and main board.  If you avoid power surges the electronics are robust on the Japanese made 8300s, but  even if you had to replace a circuit board I think it would be worth doing if you love the printer as much as I do.  But that all depends on if they have jacked the prices up on these components.

With all these trade wars going on between the US and the rest of the world, especially China everything is up in the air. My Chinese made silk just went up 25% overnight. I expect to see a lot of Chinese made electronics going up.

From what I know right now if I were to have buy a new production printer in the 44” size it would be an Epson ....their greater pressurization of the ink flow seems to have cut way down on the clogging situation....unless we find the new HP’s are getting the job done with black and white after removing their light gray. ( I seriously doubt, but who the hell knows right now) .  Their roll out has been so poorly done that no one seems to know what’s going on with the sample prints they’ve sent out. If you only do color the new HP’s could be the answer, they are fast with excellent permanent inks and user replaceable heads, and those are important factors in the long term, the replaceable heads and frugality of ink. My z3200 is great but too slow for big orders.

In a related note, Is anyone who is doing subtle art photography using the new HpZ series? It’s been very quiet around here fom what I’ve seen.

John

You can't come to any findings about longevity within 2 1/2 years on the market when the analyses are about decades and centuries - or let me put it this way - if you did it would make utter nonsense of the products and all this testing. And no, they are NOT all close on longevity. Look carefully at the data between Canon and Epson for the different papers and different display conditions and you will see some very considerable variance of estimated outcomes.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 07:38:58 pm by deanwork »

stanbowman

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 07:26:54 am »

From what I know right now if I were to have buy a new production printer in the 44” size it would be an Epson ....their greater pressurization of the ink flow seems to have cut way down on the clogging situation....unless we find the new HP’s are getting the job done with black and white after removing their light gray. ( I seriously doubt, but who the hell knows right now) .  Their roll out has been so poorly done that no one seems to know what’s going on with the sample prints they’ve sent out. If you only do color the new HP’s could be the answer, they are fast with excellent permanent inks and user replaceable heads, and those are important factors in the long term, the replaceable heads and frugality of ink. My z3200 is great but too slow for big orders.

I have been considering switching to Epson also, but had not thought of HP. Wilhelm's data gives HP inks the highest rating in terms of permanence. But then I have had the feeling that HP was pulling back from the wide format printer arena to focus more on the business community and smaller printers. But maybe not. On the other hand Epson seems to keep moving forward and making improvements with each new printer offering, both with technology and inks.

Sure is curious that Canon would make a stumble like this with their inks. They haven't stumbled with their cameras and their printers still are mechanically excellent. Yes maybe they thought no one would notice but then maybe they just didn't really give attention to ink permanence and just thought their new inks were great, which they are in terms of gamma. Maybe they were as surprised as all of us when Wilhelm published his findings.

The question is what will they do now. And also should we, as potential purchasers of their new printers, care that much about lower permanence ratings if the prints coming out of their printers visually look great.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 10:11:55 am »

I have been considering switching to Epson also, but had not thought of HP. Wilhelm's data gives HP inks the highest rating in terms of permanence. But then I have had the feeling that HP was pulling back from the wide format printer arena to focus more on the business community and smaller printers. But maybe not. On the other hand Epson seems to keep moving forward and making improvements with each new printer offering, both with technology and inks.

Sure is curious that Canon would make a stumble like this with their inks. They haven't stumbled with their cameras and their printers still are mechanically excellent. Yes maybe they thought no one would notice but then maybe they just didn't really give attention to ink permanence and just thought their new inks were great, which they are in terms of gamma. Maybe they were as surprised as all of us when Wilhelm published his findings.

The question is what will they do now. And also should we, as potential purchasers of their new printers, care that much about lower permanence ratings if the prints coming out of their printers visually look great.

I don't think Canon "stumbled". They have teams of world-class researchers/scientists and marketing types working on these products and they know what they are doing. They also know there are trade-offs. The ink, the hardware and papers all need to come together to meet certain explicit objectives they work towards in what they design. It could well be that in ranking the priorities of the various objectives to which they designed the products that certain trade-offs were inevitable and they ended-up with a longevity profile that they thought the market would find satisfactory. And I very much doubt they were the least bit surprised by anything Wilhelm published. Wilhelm doesn't conduct these expensive tests and write reports for the fun of it. They are paid. So in this case it was either Fila (Canson) or Canon who paid them to do this work, and Wilhelm would have needed the client's permission to publish the results. But getting back to objectives and priorities, bear in mind that the printing market is far larger than the relatively smaller number of fine art photographers and curators concerned about prints lasting hundreds of years. I'm reminded of this over and over again when I discuss the printer and printing market with those in the industry serving the whole spectrum of their clientele and seeing the broader picture. If it so happens that their longevity data doesn't conform with your or my particular wants or needs, then of course we can always use something else that better fits our priorities. That's what markets and choice are all about, and good thing we have it.

Now, as to how far their longevity profile suits our needs, it's worthwhile looking at the data to make that decision. I make prints that I bind in books or conserve in archival storage/presentation boxes. I have no idea once I pass what will really happen to all this material. The inheritors may treasure it or junk it, up to them; so when I see dark storage data greater than 200 years for any of these contemporary professional printers and inksets I simply set that whole issue aside. Doesn't matter. But even for dark storage, museums and other archival institutions will be concerned about whether the number reaches 200 years and from there onward the longer the better. For other purposing of prints - display, again, how important the data is depends a lot on the display conditions, how long they will be displayed, and how important to the owners of these works the length of the integrity period under display really is. So, it's a very mixed bag and you need to know the purposing and the objectives to determine the relative importance of this single criterion. And again, I would suggest not only focusing on Wilhelm data, but also Aardenburg when published.

As to what Canon will do next: They aren't about to tell us. One thing I happen to know for sure - they are conducting serious market research on the importance of longevity and they are talking to people. So they are taking it seriously and I would expect that given they have undertaken the time and expense of making these inquiries, they will consider the outcome of their research on the matter and from that data make informed decisions about their next steps.

Your last question: should we care about longevity if the prints look great? I don't see this as a trade-off. Prints look great from all of these printers, and longevity is a separate concern. Again, look at what the data says relative to your own and your customers' wants and needs to see to what extent any specifically relevant information matters. It's not binary, this or that; like so much of this, it depends.........

deanwork

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 02:15:01 pm »

It’s absolutely a trade off if your clients exhibit the prints in public spaces which are slammed with daylight everyday, a big trade off. And there was no huge gamut increase to justify that drop in stability.

Like I said, Epson went forward and Canon went backward. We all know that.

As far as Wilhelm goes, I don’t trust his methods or the data he provides. The methodology and the results are flawed - 200 year ratings for cheap rc media loaded with dye brighteners, please. I’m referring to Aardenburg tests that I do trust. Now how much longer those reliable tests will be available for say paper companies and artists to evaluate these various inksets is the primary question. Most likely not very long.

[quote wauthor=Mark D Segal link=topic=127542.msg1078167#msg1078167 date=1542294715]
I don't think Canon "stumbled". They have teams of world-class researchers/scientists and marketing types working on these products and they know what they are doing. They also know there are trade-offs. The ink, the hardware and papers all need to come together to meet certain explicit objectives they work towards in what they design. It could well be that in ranking the priorities of the various objectives to which they designed the products that certain trade-offs were inevitable and they ended-up with a longevity profile that they thought the market would find satisfactory. And I very much doubt they were the least bit surprised by anything Wilhelm published. Wilhelm doesn't conduct these expensive tests and write reports for the fun of it. They are paid. So in this case it was either Fila (Canson) or Canon who paid them to do this work, and Wilhelm would have needed the client's permission to publish the results. But getting back to objectives and priorities, bear in mind that the printing market is far larger than the relatively smaller number of fine art photographers and curators concerned about prints lasting hundreds of years. I'm reminded of this over and over again when I discuss the printer and printing market with those in the industry serving the whole spectrum of their clientele and seeing the broader picture. If it so happens that their longevity data doesn't conform with your or my particular wants or needs, then of course we can always use something else that better fits our priorities. That's what markets and choice are all about, and good thing we have it.

Now, as to how far their longevity profile suits our needs, it's worthwhile looking at the data to make that decision. I make prints that I bind in books or conserve in archival storage/presentation boxes. I have no idea once I pass what will really happen to all this material. The inheritors may treasure it or junk it, up to them; so when I see dark storage data greater than 200 years for any of these contemporary professional printers and inksets I simply set that whole issue aside. Doesn't matter. But even for dark storage, museums and other archival institutions will be concerned about whether the number reaches 200 years and from there onward the longer the better. For other purposing of prints - display, again, how important the data is depends a lot on the display conditions, how long they will be displayed, and how important to the owners of these works the length of the integrity period under display really is. So, it's a very mixed bag and you need to know the purposing and the objectives to determine the relative importance of this single criterion. And again, I would suggest not only focusing on Wilhelm data, but also Aardenburg when published.

As to what Canon will do next: They aren't about to tell us. One thing I happen to know for sure - they are conducting serious market research on the importance of longevity and they are talking to people. So they are taking it seriously and I would expect that given they have undertaken the time and expense of making these inquiries, they will consider the outcome of their research on the matter and from that data make informed decisions about their next steps.

Your last question: should we care about longevity if the prints look great? I don't see this as a trade-off. Prints look great from all of these printers, and longevity is a separate concern. Again, look at what the data says relative to your own and your customers' wants and needs to see to what extent any specifically relevant information matters. It's not binary, this or that; like so much of this, it depends.........
[/quote]

stevenfr

• Steven Friedman Landscape Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 02:24:38 pm »

i thought the gamut was less with the new series of Canon printers. This series is a step back for Canon. If you sell prints why would you want a inkset with less longevity.

I spoke to Canon over a year ago. I will wait and see how Canon responds with their next release, I have been doing some testing with the HP Z9+ in a remote sense. So far, I am not convinced it is the right answer for me, more testing needs to be done. 

Steven

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 02:46:23 pm »

It’s absolutely a trade off if your clients exhibit the prints in public spaces which are slammed with daylight everyday, a big trade off. And there was no huge gamut increase to justify that drop in stability.

Like I said, Epson went forward and Canon went backward. We all know that.

As far as Wilhelm goes, I don’t trust his methods or the data he provides. The methodology and the results are flawed - 200 year ratings for cheap rc media loaded with dye brighteners, please. I’m referring to Aardenburg tests that I do trust. Now how much longer those reliable tests will be available for say paper companies and artists to evaluate these various inksets is the primary question. Most likely not very long.

Yes I agree, in the context of continuous bright daylight exposure the longevity issue looms large. That's why I said whether it matters depends on the context and for some people it will matter more or less than for others, depending. As for trade-off, once we know that excellent quality prints can be had from any of these printers we're discussing, it is no longer a matter of trade-off, because you can have your cake and eat it, depending on the flavour of cake you want. That's all I meant, in response to Stan. Canon did increase the gamut and print quality of the new Pro series relative to the 6400 for example (I had an opportunity to observe that in their printer lab just outside of Toronto). For what I tested, the differences between the P800, P5000 and Pro-1000/2000, in terms of gamut you see readily on paper from normal photographs, no, the differences are not "huge", but they exist. The Canon Pro gamut fits between an Epson P800 and an Epson P5000, as I demo'd in my review of the Pro printers - I think the Pro 1000 (same head and inkset as the larger models).

I don't have the technical background of a Henry Wilhelm to pass serious technical judgment on the validity of his methods or data, but he's been at this for decades, has an obviously very sophisticated research facility and is highly reputed internationally. That said, I've read Mark MacCormack Goodhart's issues with aspects of that work and I broadly understand how he is dealing with these issues with his own approach, which looks to me very worthwhile. I also support his work both in contribution and word-of-mouth, and needless to say I hope he will be able to continue doing what he is doing.

Abdo

• Abdo Abdala - Photography
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 03:36:18 pm »

Do not buy Canon .. so you solved your problem ... simple like this ..

Pages: [1]   Go Up