Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fine art paper  (Read 1259 times)

Prepper753

Fine art paper
« on: November 13, 2018, 11:49:00 am »

I'm looking for help on a special project I have to print.  We have an Epson 7900 normally used for contract proofing in our prepress department and I have a request to print 42 14"x29" prints for framing.  Request is for a textured paper, similar to a fine letterhead stock, or could be a canvas type I guess.  So my question is, does anyone here know of an Epson paper I could use for this, so I could use standard settings in the printer, or a different brand paper if you know the settings for it?

Thanks for any input

aaronchan

Re: Fine art paper
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 03:18:50 pm »

Epson cold press
Or the new epson legacy Etching paper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 03:21:40 pm »

I'm looking for help on a special project I have to print.  We have an Epson 7900 normally used for contract proofing in our prepress department and I have a request to print 42 14"x29" prints for framing.  Request is for a textured paper, similar to a fine letterhead stock, or could be a canvas type I guess.  So my question is, does anyone here know of an Epson paper I could use for this, so I could use standard settings in the printer, or a different brand paper if you know the settings for it?

Thanks for any input

What do you mean by "standard settings"?

Epson Legacy Etching would be an excellent textured matte, but you would need to use settings tailored to that paper.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 03:47:27 pm »

Also depends on how much texture you're looking for.  You want fine texture or coarse?

Prepper753

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 06:05:42 pm »

Also depends on how much texture you're looking for.  You want fine texture or coarse?

Fine, I think.  Looking for ideas and pulling samples together.

Prepper753

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 06:07:56 pm »

What do you mean by "standard settings"?

Epson Legacy Etching would be an excellent textured matte, but you would need to use settings tailored to that paper.

I simply meant paper settings that are already in the printer, but I realize that may not be possible now, looking for a cotton paper, with a texture.
Thanks

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 06:20:41 pm »

Since there are a variety of papers out there, we do carry swatchbooks from the manufacturers which will offer you the look and feel of the paper before purchasing it.  You can contact us with your info so we can mail them to you if you'd like; no charge.

A nice fine art paper that is fine texture will be available through most brands (Epson, Hahnemuhle, Canson, Moab, etc).

Standard settings on the printer would depend on the type of paper you're printing on.  If you're focused on quality matching the monitor, than you would want to best setting on the printer if it's not the same brand as the printer.  There are profiles from the fine art manufacturers for the printers available as well that you can download otherwise.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 09:00:04 pm »

I simply meant paper settings that are already in the printer, but I realize that may not be possible now, looking for a cotton paper, with a texture.
Thanks

What I recommended is an Epson paper with cotton substrate and texture, as you requested. The settings for using it properly are in the printer driver. You need to select them for that paper following Epson's instructions.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

howardm

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 02:32:12 pm »

VFA is very nice paper although a bit thin/light

Prepper753

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 04:04:00 pm »

Any suggestions for a replacement for Red River's River Linen 2.0 that would come in 24" rolls? Or sheets big enough for 14x29 prints?
Thanks

Garnick

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 08:04:07 am »

Any suggestions for a replacement for Red River's River Linen 2.0 that would come in 24" rolls? Or sheets big enough for 14x29 prints?
Thanks

There have been a variety of papers mentioned here, but if you want to stay with Epson papers you might want to try a sample of the Cold Press Natural.  It's a heavy 325 gsm, 21 mil paper with a rather fine texture that suits many requirements.  I use it almost exclusively for the fine art reproductions I do for my Artist customers.  It's almost a dead ringer for 300lb watercolour paper, so it fits very nicely in my situation and my customers love it as well.  One aspect of a heavy fine art paper you should consider is the curl with roll paper.  Obviously you have no choice but roll stock for the print size you'll be working with, but it is definitely an issue you will have to overcome.  I use two 24" De-Rollers for both the Fine Art paper and the Luster as well and it does a great job of removing the curl.  When you remove the print from the printer it will immediately spring back to its initial roll formation and without some method of overcoming that curl, framing would be difficult to say the least.  Just a couple of issues to keep in mind before you go down this road.

Happy printing  :)

Gary     
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up