Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200 Profile Problem..Too much ink?  (Read 544 times)

jhein

Z3200 Profile Problem..Too much ink?
« on: November 12, 2018, 10:13:22 pm »

I am attempting to profile the Breathing Color Metallic Canvas on my Z3200.  Right after the calibration the Z3200 starts to print out the profile pattern.  I noticed weird banding and immediately killed the job so as not to waste my precious canvas.  It is just a 17"x10ft roll.  I am using the HP Premium Satin Setting.  Attached is a photo of the problem. I circled the problem areas. Any ideas?

thanks
Jim

Doug Gray

Re: Z3200 Profile Problem..Too much ink?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 11:03:34 pm »

For what it's worth, the pattern in the printed patches matches the pattern of lightly portions of the metallic canvas and doesn't vary with ink color. This indicates it is not a problem in the printer but just a limitation of the way the printer prints on the rather coarse canvas.

The printer's spectro reads over a fairly large area so you might well get decent profiles anyway. Seems to be intrinsic to the metallic canvas.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 03:07:07 am »

For what it's worth, the pattern in the printed patches matches the pattern of lightly portions of the metallic canvas and doesn't vary with ink color. This indicates it is not a problem in the printer but just a limitation of the way the printer prints on the rather coarse canvas.

The printer's spectro reads over a fairly large area so you might well get decent profiles anyway. Seems to be intrinsic to the metallic canvas.

It is a bit hard to read the image. Is it the texture showing through the print but peaks and valleys covered equally well with ink or is the canvas less compatible with the ink and not distributed evenly, ink flowing into the valleys?

Edit; looking more carefully I think Doug is right.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 09:36:23 am by Ernst Dinkla »

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 06:11:07 am »

If you have a short roll that has been tightly wound, that would account for the banding which is probably from carriage/head strikes hitting the curl of the surface. You might consider rolling out the canvas and decurling it and loading it in as a sheet using a table behing the printer to support it.You can also load it as a roll without it being rolled up. The flatter the better if you want to save your canvas.

Best, Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up