Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mirrorless war - Canon vs Nikon - who is the current winner?  (Read 52896 times)

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
Re: Mirrorless war - Canon vs Nikon - who is the current winner?
« Reply #520 on: September 13, 2019, 01:39:02 pm »

Replace the battery or spend $1000 on a new phone.? Let’s see...
My Google Pixel phone battery was failing and I looked into DIY replacement which is pretty complicated.  You also don't have to spend $1K on a cell phone these days.  Perfectly acceptable phones are available for much less.  I ended up getting a discounted Pixel phone as the new models are slated for this fall and prices were dropping on the older ones.

John Camp

« Reply #521 on: September 13, 2019, 04:57:10 pm »

A high-end camera that I'd like to see is a Leica Q2 with the ~47mp sensor and an exceptional ~24-105 fixed f2.8 (or larger) lens (like some available on other cameras, but better than those) and at about half the price of the current Q. Dream on.

I don't think Fuji should be considered in any debate about APS-C, because Fuji is its own ecosystem. It's like Panasonic/Olympus and m4/3. They're outside the mainstream, which is fine, but they're not quite in the same competition as Nikon, Canon and Sony.

All the major camera makers have to find some way to compete outside the sensor/mp race, because it's pretty clear that for the jobs these cameras do, 99 percent of the users don't really need more resolution. We're there. Amateur enthusiasts for whom pixel counts are used as status markers might continue going after higher and higher resolutions, but I doubt serious people (pros and enthusiasts) will keep buying cameras based on pixel count. Why would they throw money after something that will make no human-perceptible difference to the output? I have an 80-inch 8K Samsung TV hanging on my wall which will be more than covered by a 40+ mp camera. You really want more than that?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #522 on: September 13, 2019, 05:58:27 pm »

I am using an iPhone 4S and have no desire to upgrade. Not sure why anyone upgrades.

One very large category of upgraders is corporate phone users whose phone gets replaced every
couple of years.

They are a key target of the iPhone 8, Xr and now 11 btw.

I am one of them.

Other than that many private owners replace their phones for the exact same reason you are replacing your camera(s). Meaning a want more than a need. And I would argue that, if you use your phone as a camera, it makes a lot more objective sense to upgrade a phone than it does to upgrade a camera in terms of ability relative to actual needs.

Most of our caméras have been good enough for 10 years with zero actual reason to upgrade, while phones are only getting there (and many here seem to think they are not there yet).

If you think phones aren’t suitable cameras (yet) you should understand right there one of the key reasons why people upgrade their phones. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

jtmiller

« Reply #523 on: September 14, 2019, 10:20:45 am »

Another consideration is that once phones are no longer supported they no longer get software updates making them more susceptible to exploits.

Neither Android nor iOS are bulletproof.

jim

faberryman

« Reply #524 on: September 14, 2019, 10:49:13 am »

Another consideration is that once phones are no longer supported they no longer get software updates making them more susceptible to exploits. Neither Android nor iOS are bulletproof.
The iOS updated on my 4S last night. It still makes calls, runs apps, and takes pictures. I skipped the 5, 6, 7, 8, X, and I’ll skip the 11 too.

RobertJ

« Reply #525 on: September 15, 2019, 05:56:51 pm »

I still have the 5C.  I never use my phone for anything, to be honest.  There's nothing on it.  No pictures, videos, email, text messages, apps, nothing.  Nada. 

I never really got into using mobile devices for the web/pictures/videos/social media, even though I'm a millenial who loves technology, and I enjoy building my own computers (Windows PCs).

But everything I do is on a desktop.  When I'm at social gatherings, I'm the only person not staring down at their phone, because not only do I NOT use it, but half the time, I don't even have it with me.

jtmiller

« Reply #526 on: September 15, 2019, 06:55:54 pm »

The iOS updated on my 4S last night. It still makes calls, runs apps, and takes pictures. I skipped the 5, 6, 7, 8, X, and I’ll skip the 11 too.

Won't run iOS13 due out next week.

jim

faberryman

« Reply #527 on: September 15, 2019, 07:35:51 pm »

Won't run iOS13 due out next week.
None of my apps require iOS13.

jtmiller

« Reply #528 on: September 16, 2019, 03:24:19 pm »

I never suggested your apps wouldn't run. I said you would be increasingly exposed to exploits.

Unlike Microsoft who provides updates on old operating systems (e.g. Win7 for a few more months) Apple only provides functional and security updates for their current version of iOS, soon iOS13.

As of next week you are on your own.

Good luck.

Jim

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #529 on: September 16, 2019, 06:33:04 pm »

I never suggested your apps wouldn't run. I said you would be increasingly exposed to exploits.

Unlike Microsoft who provides updates on old operating systems (e.g. Win7 for a few more months) Apple only provides functional and security updates for their current version of iOS, soon iOS13.

As of next week you are on your own.

Good luck.

Jim
That is not entirely true, security updates are put out for several OS versions back.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

jtmiller

« Reply #530 on: September 16, 2019, 08:28:51 pm »

Delivered how?

jim

BJL

Mirrorless war - Canon vs Nikon - No, let’s argue about phones
« Reply #531 on: September 16, 2019, 08:46:48 pm »

RobertJ

« Reply #532 on: September 19, 2019, 08:44:13 pm »

Back on topic: Nikon 60MP mirrorless or DSLR is coming soon, with 16 bit NEF available: https://nikonrumors.com/2019/09/19/first-indications-of-the-rumored-nikon-camera-with-60mp-and-16-bit-nef-files.aspx

I'm ready to skip the A7R4 and just go with the 60MP Nikon.  Just need adapters for my Sony FE Voigtlander APO lenses.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]   Go Up