Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arcbody lenses and bellows repair  (Read 2025 times)

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
Arcbody lenses and bellows repair
« on: November 12, 2018, 02:20:29 pm »

Hi,

I have an Arcbody with a damaged bellows and the bellows is no longer available from Hasselblad :-( It is severely warped and deformed on both sides and actually protrudes into the film plane. can it be repaired or replaced by making a new one? Maybe someone could recommend a shop in the NYC area ?

I’m also looking for some lens information. I have both the 35mm and 45mm rodenstock apo grandagon lenses; the 45 is extremely sharp but the 35 not quite as much. Was the 45 a sharper lens ? I can’t find any mtf curves comparing the two. Are the optical formulas of these Hasselblad versions the same as the regular versions used on view cameras and by Horseman ? The bayonet lens and filter mounts and helical focus are obviously specific to Hasselblad but it looks like the copal 0 shutter and lens groups are interchangeable with “generic” versions  of the lens.

Paul
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 02:24:43 pm by Paul Ozzello »

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: Arcbody lenses and bellows repair
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 02:33:57 pm »

I can confirm that the 45mm lens was extremely sharp but unfortunately I didn't own the 35 so can make no comparisons. That said I would expect the 45 to be the sharper. I'll look when I can to see if I have any MTF charts.

I haven't kept up with availability and prices but it might be worthwhile looking into buying another used body for spares.

Two23

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 06:02:02 pm »

I've had this place make new bellows for several of my 100+ year old cameras.  They do a great job and are reasonably fast:
http://www.custombellows.co.uk/

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 06:22:01 pm »

I can confirm that the 45mm lens was extremely sharp but unfortunately I didn't own the 35 so can make no comparisons. That said I would expect the 45 to be the sharper. I'll look when I can to see if I have any MTF charts.

I haven't kept up with availability and prices but it might be worthwhile looking into buying another used body for spares.

Thanks Keith, that’s a good idea - getting parts for that camera is next to impossible. I might do the same for my SWC/M. Yes the 45 is incredibly sharp - I feel it even has the edge on the SWC. I’m asking as I recently got the 35 and want to make sure it’s ok.

Do you know if Rodenstock still services these lenses ?

I hope you find those MTF !

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 06:27:59 pm »

I've had this place make new bellows for several of my 100+ year old cameras.  They do a great job and are reasonably fast:
http://www.custombellows.co.uk/

Kent in SD

Thanks for the recommendation ! How is the quality ? Do you think it would be better than the original ?

Two23

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 10:42:32 pm »

Thanks for the recommendation ! How is the quality ? Do you think it would be better than the original ?

Quality is excellent.  I highly doubt you'll find anything better available in the world.  These guys are professionals.  Reasonable prices too.

Kent in SD
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Ken

• http://kenschuster.com
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 11:49:10 pm »

I have seen no sharpness difference among all three lenses (35 Apo-Grandagon, 45 Apo-Grandagon and 75 Grandagon-N) other than the 35 falls off more sharply as you move away from the center. About 20 years ago I was told by a Hasselblad technician and separately by a Rodenstock "guru" that the helical focusing ArcBody lenses are exactly the same as the non-focusing lenses. I was referred to the Rodenstock data sheet for MTF charts which I can send to you at the email address on your website.

KLaban

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 07:24:12 am »

Thanks Keith, that’s a good idea - getting parts for that camera is next to impossible. I might do the same for my SWC/M. Yes the 45 is incredibly sharp - I feel it even has the edge on the SWC. I’m asking as I recently got the 35 and want to make sure it’s ok.

Do you know if Rodenstock still services these lenses ?

I hope you find those MTF !

Hi Paul, I've now looked but sadly it seems the MTF charts are long gone if I had them at all: it was after all a long time ago ;-(

I wonder if there are charts available for the original Rodenstock lenses?

EDIT: I see from Ken's post above they are.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 12:21:17 pm by KLaban »

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 12:47:10 pm »

Quality is excellent.  I highly doubt you'll find anything better available in the world.  These guys are professionals.  Reasonable prices too.

Kent in SD

I contacted them and they are able to make a new bellows ! Apparently they were contracted to make the original ones for Hasselblad 20 years ago :-))

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 12:49:48 pm »

I have seen no sharpness difference among all three lenses (35 Apo-Grandagon, 45 Apo-Grandagon and 75 Grandagon-N) other than the 35 falls off more sharply as you move away from the center. About 20 years ago I was told by a Hasselblad technician and separately by a Rodenstock "guru" that the helical focusing ArcBody lenses are exactly the same as the non-focusing lenses. I was referred to the Rodenstock data sheet for MTF charts which I can send to you at the email address on your website.

I can’t find those MTF charts anywhere and would love a copy, my email is :

paul.ozzello (AT) gmail.com

Thank you so much !

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 02:28:01 pm »

Here's a screenshot of the 45mm from Rodenstock
and the 35 (not as detailed, unclear what f-stop) from Horseman

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 11:55:13 pm »

Thanks everyone for helping me get this camera sorted  :D

Any idea why the 35mm lens might be “less sharp” ? The lens has no dings and is cosmetically flawless, no hazing or fungus or separation or marks whatsoever on the glass...

Is there a camera shop in NYC that could test the MTF ?

I might sound picky but I drumscan all my negative to print 44”x44” and any flaws become very apparent at that size.

Paul

KLaban

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 07:21:39 am »

Thanks everyone for helping me get this camera sorted  :D

Any idea why the 35mm lens might be “less sharp” ? The lens has no dings and is cosmetically flawless, no hazing or fungus or separation or marks whatsoever on the glass...

Is there a camera shop in NYC that could test the MTF ?

I might sound picky but I drumscan all my negative to print 44”x44” and any flaws become very apparent at that size.

Paul

When you say the 35mm is less sharp do you mean across the whole image? I would expect the sharpness to fall off towards the edges as indeed the MTFs would suggest.

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 12:35:31 pm »

When you say the 35mm is less sharp do you mean across the whole image? I would expect the sharpness to fall off towards the edges as indeed the MTFs would suggest.

Across the whole image. Frame after frame the 45 is consistently sharper.

I came across this interesting post :

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?17944-Apo-Grandagon-35-Question-amp-Seek-Opinion&highlight=Arcbody

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 09:27:14 am »

Someone on the large format photography forums posted MTF graphs for both lenses - thought I would share for anyone interested :) The 35 indeed is not as good at higher frequencies..
Pages: [1]   Go Up