Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Autumn (Fall) in the Rockies  (Read 941 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Autumn (Fall) in the Rockies
« on: November 12, 2018, 07:05:28 am »

I know, it is a bit of a well worn cliche type of shot isn't it, but what the heck, as we all seem to have to have at least one of these types of shots in our repertoire don't we? It's almost as if this is some kind of immutable law of landscape photography and as such, a law which we must all obey without question or reason.

But there I was and this lovely stand of trees were all there stood to attention staring right back at me and the light was reasonably soft and there wasn't even the slightest of a breeze, so what's a landscape photography guy with a camera and tripod in his hands supposed to do?

Dave
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 07:13:24 am by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Autumn (Fall) in the Rockies
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 07:17:37 am »

Beautiful.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 07:50:37 am »

so what's a landscape photography guy with a camera and tripod in his hands supposed to do?

He takes a snap and is justifiably proud of it. This seems to transcend the cliche though, with the a-typical scorching at the bottom. You know whether that's due to a recent fire? Drought related?

I'd personally be inclined to reduce saturation in the white bark. Don't really remember ever seeing as much blue reflection and exactly the drawing and pattern in the bark is what makes this picture stand out for me. By reducing the attention to color, it increases the attention in drawing. The leaves are fine especially in combination with a more neutral stem.
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Ghaag

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 08:23:44 am »

I know, it is a bit of a well worn cliche type of shot isn't it, but what the heck, as we all seem to have to have at least one of these types of shots in our repertoire don't we? It's almost as if this is some kind of immutable law of landscape photography and as such, a law which we must all obey without question or reason.

But there I was and this lovely stand of trees were all there stood to attention staring right back at me and the light was reasonably soft and there wasn't even the slightest of a breeze, so what's a landscape photography guy with a camera and tripod in his hands supposed to do?

Dave
Beautiful Image!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 09:25:35 am »

He takes a snap and is justifiably proud of it. This seems to transcend the cliche though, with the a-typical scorching at the bottom. You know whether that's due to a recent fire? Drought related?

I'd personally be inclined to reduce saturation in the white bark. Don't really remember ever seeing as much blue reflection and exactly the drawing and pattern in the bark is what makes this picture stand out for me. By reducing the attention to color, it increases the attention in drawing. The leaves are fine especially in combination with a more neutral stem.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions - the shot was actually taken as the light was fading near to darkness, although the bark on these trees seemed to give off its own glow. So due to the low light levels, it is quite a long exposure and the shot actually came out with a very blue tone and which I thought I had more or less balanced out across the shot about right, but yes maybe a little more of what is left of the blueishness of the light might add to the shot, I will give it a go later  :)

Also I don't really know what was going on with the grasses, as we had just arrived in the Rockies from the UK the night before and this was at the end of the following day and then we decided to drive on early the next morning and then continued on for a few hundred miles more before our next stop.

Dave

thierrylegros396

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2018, 10:26:24 am »

Beautiful.

Nothing to change for me.

Thierry

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 08:50:00 pm »

Nothing to change for me.

Thierry

Mmmm, you might be correct Thierry, because I haven't found myself rushing to the computer to re-edit and re-upload the image as I would normally do, so perhaps subconsciously, I must be agreeing with you.  ;)

Dave

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 06:55:12 am »

Nice image, tree "bases" are really great too
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Mark Greenberg

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 08:25:17 am »

Beautiful cluster of aspens, especially since they have not been marred by graffiti.  I really enjoy the composition and processing.

Mark

Don Libby

• Iron Creek Photography
    • Iron Creek Photography
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2018, 01:34:14 pm »

Please don't change a thing....

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 04:09:37 pm »

Thank you so much everyone, you are making a grumpy old man, very happy indeed  :D

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up