Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Offset photo book printers in China  (Read 975 times)

Gellman

• http://www.jgphoto.com
Offset photo book printers in China
« on: November 09, 2018, 11:37:18 pm »

I am self-publishing a 176 page coffee table book of my photographs. Some images are color, and others are black and white. I need recommendations for printing companies in China (Hong Kong) that can offset print, bind, and ship high quality books in short runs. Maybe in runs as small as 500 units, but more likely 1,000 units. I am NOT looking for digital printers. High quality offset is what I'm after. I have found two printers from my own research. They are Magnum Offset Printing (www.magnumoffset.com.hk) and Jade Productions  (www.jadeproductions.com.hk) in Hong Kong. All I know about them is what is on their websites. Has anyone used either of these companies, or know about their quality and reputations?  Can anyone recommend any other printers? I remember reading a post by Michael Reichman several years about his experience with either a Chinese or Italian printing company, but I have searched for Michael's post and could not find it. Can anyone help with this?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 11:48:49 pm by Gellman »

aaronchan

Re: Offset photo book printers in China
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 04:32:48 am »

I am self-publishing a 176 page coffee table book of my photographs. Some images are color, and others are black and white. I need recommendations for printing companies in China (Hong Kong) that can offset print, bind, and ship high quality books in short runs. Maybe in runs as small as 500 units, but more likely 1,000 units. I am NOT looking for digital printers. High quality offset is what I'm after. I have found two printers from my own research. They are Magnum Offset Printing (www.magnumoffset.com.hk) and Jade Productions  (www.jadeproductions.com.hk) in Hong Kong. All I know about them is what is on their websites. Has anyone used either of these companies, or know about their quality and reputations?  Can anyone recommend any other printers? I remember reading a post by Michael Reichman several years about his experience with either a Chinese or Italian printing company, but I have searched for Michael's post and could not find it. Can anyone help with this?

I am a Hong Kongnese.
Well, there are many small offset print house still have their facilities in Hong Kong.
But I do have a question for you, are you living in Hong Kong?
If not, why would you print in HK.
If yes, that will be much easier because no matter what, it is better to go by yourself and QC with your own eyes.

Aaron

Gellman

• http://www.jgphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 12:07:38 am »

Hi Aaron - Thanks for your reply. I do not live in Hong Kong. I live in Asheville, North Carolina, USA. I am interested in having my book printed in Hong Kong or elsewhere in China because I have heard the printing quality there is top notch, and because of price. The two estimates I have received so far are each substantially less than the lowest estimate I have received from U.S. based printers. In fact, less than half the prices I was quoted domestically. So though it would certainly take longer, the difference in cost is so great that I have to seriously consider offshore options. I am also awaiting estimates from some Italian printers. I would be grateful if you could share the names of any Hong Kong or China based printers that you think are capable of offering high quality printing in short runs of around 1,000 books.

-John

narikin

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 08:04:17 pm »

You need to use a print broker, who will have a relationship with all the various Far East print and repro houses and sort this out for you.
China and HK are good, as are many other places.

For some reason nobody can explain, USA is very expensive to print in.
Most USA publishers print abroad, yes in the East, but high end photo books are often made in Italy and/or Germany even.
The Europeans often have the very latest and best Heidelberg machines - UV printing, high pigment, etc - but come in with prices 30-40% below USA.

Check out books you like by publishers and you'll see  in there where they are printed - like Aperture's books made at EBS in Verona, or Optimal in Germany, amongst others.

good luck

Stephen Ray

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 10:35:49 pm »

You might check into these guys. They've done some books for landscape photographers.

Everbest printing based in Hong Kong
Pages: [1]   Go Up