Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CrashPlan users, how is your life post migration to CrashPlan SmallBusiness ?  (Read 2390 times)

DP

CrashPlan users, how is your life post migration to CrashPlan SmallBusiness ?

I am unhappy (that is not to mention their invented artificial 1TB limit to migrate)

so I started new backup after they screwed the migration (CTRL+SHIFT+C & "guid new" = your new life) and 2 screenshots show it all:

CP1.JPG = an example what CrashPlanSB reports and CP3.JPG what is the real situation (after CTRL+SHIFT+C & "deauthorize" to clear the cache) if you don't trust your eyes (naturally going to restore confirms that indeed not all files were backed up)

beats me - do they throttle backup and report false statistics or they simply still have a buggy code @ v6 of their software ?

jrsforums

CrashPlan users, how is your life post migration to CrashPlan SmallBusiness ?

I am unhappy (that is not to mention their invented artificial 1TB limit to migrate)

so I started new backup after they screwed the migration (CTRL+SHIFT+C & "guid new" = your new life) and 2 screenshots show it all:

CP1.JPG = an example what CrashPlanSB reports and CP3.JPG what is the real situation (after CTRL+SHIFT+C & "deauthorize" to clear the cache) if you don't trust your eyes (naturally going to restore confirms that indeed not all files were backed up)

beats me - do they throttle backup and report false statistics or they simply still have a buggy code @ v6 of their software ?

I had no problem “migrating”.  actually, quite transparent.

I believe that the max prior to “migration” is/was 5TB.  I now am up around 10TB, with no addl cost.

Don’t know about any throttling.

What I really like about Crashplan is that it offers extreme (infinite?) layers of change backup, not just 1 or 2...or, with some competitors, none.
John

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

I had no problem “migrating”.  actually, quite transparent.
Ditto, and it's running just fine since. No issues whatsoever.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

DP

I believe that the max prior to “migration” is/was 5TB.  I now am up around 10TB, with no addl cost.

CrashPlan for Home could be migrated to CrashPlan for SmallBusiness only if "cloud" archive on their servers was <= 1 TB ... otherwise (A) start from scratch or (B) download and upload /which is almost the as starting from scratch/

from Code42 support when asked :

The policy was changed.

Last year, we decided to exit the consumer market so we could focus exclusively on businesses and their data backup and security needs. We offered a migration path for small businesses who had been using the consumer product to move to our small business product. For consumers, we offered an exclusive discount with Carbonite.

Since then, we’ve found that migrators who have over 1 TB of data per device are likely to be consumers not small businesses. As a result, we've made the decision to limit data that can be migrated to 1 TB per device as of July 18th, 2018. All CrashPlan for Home customers remain eligible to opt into the small business product and receive a 75% discount for the first year, but we recommend that home consumer users who are not small businesses consider Carbonite or other consumer-oriented products instead.

no warning, they just changed the policy and if (like me) you were with the original Home plan till say Autumn 2018 (my 4 years subscription was till Nov 2018) you were screwed

DP

Ditto, and it's running just fine since. No issues whatsoever.

I trust you did not try to actually test that every single file is there  ;)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney

I trust you did not try to actually test that every single file is there  ;)
Every single file is there. Easy to view and see.
You asked a question. The answers are apparently not what you wish to hear but none the less, my life post migration to CrashPlan SmallBusiness has had zero issues and works as expected.
You got two replies. Is there another answer you'd prefer to hear? Draft one and maybe someone else will agree with you. 

DP

Every single file is there. Easy to view and see.

so how many files you exactly have that you can see each one with your eyes within few minutes between your postings ;D

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney

so how many files you exactly have that you can see each one with your eyes within few minutes between your postings ;D
You really don’t know how Crashplan works it seems. As I stated, as another stated, no issues. I’m sorry the answer you want to hear isn’t the answer provided based on actual useage and experience from actual Crashplan users.  :o
Yes, you are unhappy.

DP

I started the backup again from scratch on Nov 10 (by upgrading security) - here is from CrashPlan own log (history) ... I have 2 TB to back up, but I am testing on a smaller set of files (hence 279.2 GB)

11/10/18 05:23 AM   [CLEVO Backup Set] Scanning for files completed in 2 minutes: 34,779 files (279.20GB) found

As we can see below, CrashPlasn did not finish the backup at 11:36 PM - instead of 34,779 files (279.20GB) it only did 27,804 files (232.30GB) ... but it stopped all by itself, why ? but the the best follows

11/10/18 11:36 PM   [CLEVO Backup Set] Completed backup to CrashPlan PRO Online in 18h:14m:52s: 27,804 files (232.30GB) backed up, 116.90GB encrypted and sent @ 10.8Mbps (Effective rate: 29.2Mbps)

With me not near my computer the following happened @ 3:00 AM

11/11/18 03:00 AM   [CLEVO Backup Set] Scanning for files to back up
11/11/18 03:02 AM   [CLEVO Backup Set] Scanning for files completed in 1 minute: 34,779 files (279.20GB) found

But Crashplan did not start backup of the remaining files at that moment ? so when I arrived later @ 6 AM today (on Nov 11) and clicked to continue the backup ...

11/11/18 06:07 AM   [CLEVO Backup Set] Backup to CrashPlan PRO Online will take priority until complete (up to 24 hours)
11/11/18 06:07 AM   [CLEVO Backup Set] Starting backup to CrashPlan PRO Online: 9,250 files (46.90GB) to back up

first of all 34,779 files (279.20GB) - 27,804 files (232.30GB)  = 6,975 files (46.90GB) ... I understand that people who wrote CrashPlan code might be somewhat math challenged, but 34,779 - 27,804 = 6,975 files... but I am glad they at least got GB math right :-)

But instead of backing up 46.90GB of 9,250 files (actually 6,975 - but whatever) our dear CrashPlan did backup 1 file... see below

11/11/18 06:07 AM   [CLEVO Backup Set] Completed backup to CrashPlan PRO Online in 0h:00m:08s: 1 file (2.30KB) backed up, 0MB encrypted and sent

I am naturally going ballistic and CTRL+SHIFT+C & "deauthorize" to force CrashPlan to clear cache and to start comparing files locally and in backup destination

11/11/18 06:08 AM   [CLEVO Backup Set] Scanning for files to back up
11/11/18 06:09 AM   Archive encryption key changed from -- to <....deleted by me....>.
11/11/18 06:10 AM   [CLEVO Backup Set] Scanning for files completed in 2 minutes: 34,779 files (279.20GB) found

See the line below = great math again, remember "9,250 files (46.90GB) to back up" (which had to be actually "6,975 files (46.90GB)", but whatever)... it turns out "21,084 files (52.20GB)" to do, not "9,250 files (46.90GB)" (which had to be actually "6,975 files (46.90GB)", but whatever) ... WTF !

11/11/18 06:17 AM   [CLEVO Backup Set] Starting backup to CrashPlan PRO Online: 21,084 files (52.20GB) to back up

And here I am scratching my head :-) ... are we to believe anything CrashPlan reports :-) ?

DP

You really don’t know how Crashplan works it seems.

neither do you as you actually never try to test ;)  - but I understand that you are happy in your oblivion ... you don't really need to repeat that again.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 06:08:36 pm by digitaldog »
Pages: [1]   Go Up