Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reusing/Reimporting into same session  (Read 794 times)

KellyHicks

Reusing/Reimporting into same session
« on: November 09, 2018, 03:31:39 pm »

I've tried, in the past, to create a new session per client then import them into a catalog. I've just not had good luck with C1 catalogs because of speed and number of images I shoot per year. I was thinking about just reusing a default session and call it something like "2018" and reimporting new images into that session for the year. I could then create individual session albums (favorites) for each client/subject within that year. Does anyone do a workflow similar to this or is there a downside of not creating new session for each import?

UnfamiliarLight

• Unfamiliar Light
Re: Reusing/Reimporting into same session
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 09:19:36 am »

Or you could create a catalogue per year and continue with the session per job imported into a catalog but it would be a smaller catalogue.

One other method you could try is to use smart albums. I agree C1 catalogues are slow I found that creating smart albums that collect all the photos for a single year allows searching to be faster. Clearly performance improvements from Phase One would be the best solution but you might find the above suggestion make things more palettable in the mean time.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 01:29:25 pm »

The whole catalog - session thing can get confusing.  I use Session for everything I do.  They are easy when on location to work with and on coming home move over to the server.  That being said I do create catalogs for each year.  After I am done with the session, for the most part, I import it into a yearly catalog.  This makes it easy with the use of filters, etc to say find all the images shot with the 100-400mm Sony GM lens or on a particular camera.  It also allows me to take my catalogs with me if I am looking for an image or want to work with an image while traveling.  If I use the catalog then I drag it over the existing catalog at it replaces the one on the server.

I also create catalogs based on events or locations.  For example, I visit Antarctica, Iceland, Greenland Grand Canyon etc on a yearly or somewhat regular basis. So, for sake of example I go to Antarctica in November.  At some point, I'll import the most recent trip to Antarctica into the catalog I have of previous Antarctica sessions.  This allows me to go to one place to view all my images from certain trips.  I also do that for family events like holidays.

In the past, I have had catalog issues.  These seem to have gotten better in the last year but I would have catalogs that didn't upgrade properly and became unusable.  I then had to go back and recreate the whole catalog.

Just my 2 cents.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

UnfamiliarLight

• Unfamiliar Light
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 01:42:02 pm »

I also create catalogs based on events or locations.  For example, I visit Antarctica, Iceland, Greenland Grand Canyon etc on a yearly or somewhat regular basis. So, for sake of example I go to Antarctica in November.  At some point, I'll import the most recent trip to Antarctica into the catalog I have of previous Antarctica sessions.  This allows me to go to one place to view all my images from certain trips.  I also do that for family events like holidays.

Cool, one question. Do you import your special trip photos into the yearly cataloguea as well?

KellyHicks

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 09:33:40 am »

Thanks. I'm going to try and use smart albums going forward. I'll create a catalog at the end of the year as an archive, either for the whole year or break it down to similar subjects/clients.
Pages: [1]   Go Up