Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Catalog Woes after a week of grief no further forward  (Read 1303 times)

jayteepics

Catalog Woes after a week of grief no further forward
« on: November 09, 2018, 10:16:14 am »

Discovered this forum as not even an acknowledgement from C1 support to a problem posted probably Tuesday just gone.
I can only guess that as I admitted to moving stuff outside C1 I'm excommunicated!

Looks like everything is as I want it...

Everything here when clicked shows all fully populated and all show in win explorer  all on Drive D

Next...

After restart C1
After restart

Sony A7R2 / Canon 5D / LX5 all gone!! even though C1 said Explorer pointed to Disk D Explorer

Ah I have a backup of the catalog... I'll restore it...

Catalog restored

I've been going round in circles with this all week - What am I screwing up ??

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Jamie

jayteepics

Re: Catalog Woes after a week of grief no further forward
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 10:31:34 am »

I'm using the catalog in referenced mode

myotis

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 10:51:28 am »

Discovered this forum as not even an acknowledgement from C1 support to a problem posted probably Tuesday just gone.
I can only guess that as I admitted to moving stuff outside C1 I'm excommunicated!

I can't help you with this, but I would encourage you to update you support request with C1, they have always been remarkably quick at replying, and given help even when it wasn't really (as it turned out) not to be a C1 problem, but a problem with my printer.

On one occasion, when I didn't get an acknowledgement, I went into my support page and found that for some reason, my support request just wasn't listed. Resubmitting brought a rapid response.

Having said that, I notice you use the phrase "posted" did you submit to Phase One support,  or did you post a request for help on the user forum. Phase One support staff, don't monitor the user forum, even though they occasionally visit.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers,

Graham

jayteepics

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 10:57:29 am »

Graham thanks. Like you I went back and found that my request wasn't logged - so no wonder no support. Now I've waited until the weekend is here ! I resubmitted my request via https://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportMain/ContactSupport/MyCases.aspx this is the exact same way I did it the first time.

myotis

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 12:38:15 pm »

Graham thanks. Like you I went back and found that my request wasn't logged - so no wonder no support. Now I've waited until the weekend is here ! I resubmitted my request via https://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportMain/ContactSupport/MyCases.aspx this is the exact same way I did it the first time.

It's odd isn't it, but I "think" I usually get an automatic acknowledgement of the enquiry being logged, so if you don't get anything it may be worth checking it again.  Thinking back, and I've used C1 for over 10 years now, I think this has happened twice to me.

Cheers,

Graham

jayteepics

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 02:04:00 pm »

Well the repost got a very quick response and am working my way through it.

myotis

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 03:46:00 pm »

Well the repost got a very quick response and am working my way through it.

That's good :-)

Cheers,
Graham

jayteepics

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 04:12:31 pm »

C1 Support gave me a set of instructions to Verify & Repair a catalog which I followed but the catalog I ideally would have liked just was beyond repair (I mean umpteen verify/repair iterations until I figured the horse was well and truly dead ;-)
However picking an earlier catalog backup  verify and repair worked and an immediate backup got me back on the road but more manipulations on said repaired catalog to get me back to where I wanted to be just didn't get there.
However, enlightened by another post here I took the approach of creating a New Catalog and imported the prior earlier catalog into it. this was successful in that I'm almost back to where I want to be but more importantly with corruption repaired, every time now when I start C1 I'm at the same place! Believe me after the week I've had that is really cool!.
Thanks for the input, and C1 Forum will receive my thanks for preventing me having a ruined weekend.

Where I've got to...

Where I've got to and more importantly it's consistent!

Jamie

myotis

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 05:16:56 pm »

However, enlightened by another post here I took the approach of creating a New Catalog and imported the prior earlier catalog into it. this was successful in that I'm almost back to where I want to be but more importantly with corruption repaired, every time now when I start C1 I'm at the same place! Believe me after the week I've had that is really cool!.

That must be a relief.

For reasons too complicated to explain, I have several catalogues on the go, of the same files, but in a few different programs LR, C1 and Neofinder, plus until recently Media Pro, and C1 is by far the least forgiving for doing any manipulation of files outside of C1. But it does seem to get a bit more robust with every release, though I have now pretty well moved over entirely to using Sessions and only keep the C1 catalogue going out of habit.

Cheers,

Graham

IanSeward

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 04:15:04 am »

Looks like everything is as I want it...

Everything here when clicked shows all fully populated and all show in win explorer  all on Drive D

Next...

After restart C1
After restart

Sony A7R2 / Canon 5D / LX5 all gone!! even though C1 said Explorer pointed to Disk D Explorer

Ah I have a backup of the catalog... I'll restore it...

Catalog restored

I've been going round in circles with this all week - What am I screwing up ??

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Jamie

From your recent posts it looks like the catalogue file on your computer was corrupted.  File corruption happens, C1 does run a backup automatically every so often. 

I know that moving files outside of C1 was not your actual problem but I have moved files outside of C1 and the relocation is fairly straightforward, very similar to LR.  Here is a tutorial on relocating files if you should need to do so in the future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ3gL893TaM

Also don't forget that you have the option with C1 of using sessions to work directly on files.  Sessions can later be imported into an archive catalogue if required.

Ian

Ian

jayteepics

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 10:05:20 am »

Ian
Thanks. I have watched that Video several times however at the end of the very first sentence David's words are ".... and the images will be shown as offline"

No such indication to be seen on any images that I could see be it question marks or Warning triangles as for the images I just couldn't see well...

It suits my workflow to use a catalog as opposed to sessions albeit all my images are external so referenced rather than managed.

I believe over the week I totally scrambled the Catalog and of course dutifully took backups of same ;-)
Not only was I moving to a new machine but during the week reassigning drive letters etc.

Lesson learned and the help I received here and from C1 support forum rescued me from my folly ;-)
Very many thanks once again.
 :)
Jamie
Pages: [1]   Go Up