Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing workflow completely messed up!  (Read 1375 times)

g.gornbein

Printing workflow completely messed up!
« on: November 08, 2018, 11:00:20 pm »

I'm not sure whether to post this in the Printing or Lightroom Forum, but here goes:
I have not printed to my Epson 3800 for a few months, but I never had issues until now.
I recently updated to Mac OS Mojave, and I am using LR Classic CC release 8.0.
I use a Color Munki to regularly profile my monitors, and I also just built a new printer profile for Epson Luster.
When I print through Lightroom, I am getting muddy, poor contrast, flat images.
Also, I notice that the Print Settings dialog is not what I am used to, with options for paper/type,
resolution, speed, etc. NOT BEING DISPLAYED.
Any help would be appreciated!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Printing workflow completely messed up!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 11:04:56 pm »

The settings you are talking about are in the printer driver, not the operating system or the application. Can you go into System Preferences, Printers and Scanners, and check to see what version of the Epson driver you are using and check from Epson's website whether it is compatible with the latest operating system and Lr version you are using? Perhaps you need to upgrade the printer driver, if there is one for that printer, which dates back to about 2006 I believe.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

MHMG

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 11:10:29 pm »

Make sure you have Epson's latest driver installed. Also, go into the system preferences menu, then Printers and scanners menu, and make sure the Mojave install didn't reset itself to the AirPrint driver for your printer model. AirPrint is an epic fail with most if not all printer models, and I have no clue why Apple still hasn't figured that out and still keeps defaulting to it on OS upgrades.  The AirPrint driver will hide many of those printer driver settings you expect to see if you have the correct Epson driver selected in the "printers and scanners" menu for your given printer model.

Good luck,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 11:13:26 pm »

Yes, other Mark is correct that Airprint could be the issue; I had thought of mentioning it, but wasn't sure whether an OS upgrade should/would touch the printer driver, which is a separate application, but absolutely worthwhile checking for this while you are there.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

g.gornbein

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 12:36:15 am »

Thanks to both Marks for your input.
I neglected to mention that I had already uninstalled/ reinstalled the 3800, as well as confirming that driver 9.33 is still current, even with Mojave.
And no, the driver wasn't replaced with AirPrint.
Any other suggestions? - I'm stumped!
The screen shot below is what I now see in the print settings section of the printer... dialog.
What has happened to all of the other options normally present???
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 12:39:25 am by g.gornbein@comcast.net »

Garnick

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 07:38:29 am »

Thanks to both Marks for your input.
I neglected to mention that I had already uninstalled/ reinstalled the 3800, as well as confirming that driver 9.33 is still current, even with Mojave.
And no, the driver wasn't replaced with AirPrint.
Any other suggestions? - I'm stumped!
The screen shot below is what I now see in the print settings section of the printer... dialog.
What has happened to all of the other options normally present???

While perusing both the Adobe Photoshop and Apple forums recently for an opinion on a specific topic, I noticed a rather large volume of complaints concerning Mojave and how it has somehow "broken" various apps etc.  Of course I cannot necessarily connect your issue with Mojave, but the coincidence would seem somewhat suspicious I believe.  I always install a new OS on a Boot-Clone drive to test all apps before installing it on my Main Work Drive.  All of which is moot in your situation of course, but perhaps a backup strategy you might want to pursue in the future.  I would try installing the driver again, but only after you have completely trashed the current driver.  In case you are perhaps not familiar with the uninstall procedure for Epson drivers, you can probably download the "uninstaller" from the same site on which you downloaded the driver.  I've never used the Epson uninstaller, but you can at least give it a try. Otherwise, use the following procedure:

1. Go to Sys Prefs > Printers & Scanners and delete the 3800 driver.

2. Go to the Mac HD library > Printers and trash the Epson folder and empty the trash.  NOTE -- if you have any other Epson printers they will also be deleted, so you would need
    to reinstall them as well.

3. Go back to Sys Prefs and make sure the 3800 driver is not there.  Also check the Library folder and make sure the Epson Folder is not there.

4. In Disk Utility - select the Mac Hd and run "First Aid" and then Restart the Mac.

5. Install the 3800 driver again and test it.

In lieu of using the Epson uninstaller, this is Epson's preferred method of trashing a printer driver.  I always use this manual method for trashing a driver.

Gary

« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 08:18:25 am by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

g.gornbein

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 09:53:45 am »

Gary:  I believe this did the trick!  I will do more testing as I have time, but my first test print after following your instructions seems to have worked.
Thanks so much!
Pages: [1]   Go Up