Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Video Interview with Michael and Jay Maisel  (Read 2894 times)

BradSmith

Old Video Interview with Michael and Jay Maisel
« on: November 08, 2018, 01:59:40 pm »

Thank you so much for reposting this video.  It was really fascinating. 

While having nothing to do with photography, I loved the element of the story about the real estate value.  I'm sure that this world renown photographer earned less in total from his photography career than he made from the value increase of his "studio".  So speaking purely financially, his photography career/business was simply a way of acquiring/holding onto the property while it increased 540 times in value above his purchase price.  My mind is having a tough time coming to grips with that......

Rob C

Re: Old Video Interview with Michael and Jay Maisel
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 02:57:40 pm »

Thank you so much for reposting this video.  It was really fascinating. 

While having nothing to do with photography, I loved the element of the story about the real estate value.  I'm sure that this world renown photographer earned less in total from his photography career than he made from the value increase of his "studio".  So speaking purely financially, his photography career/business was simply a way of acquiring/holding onto the property while it increased 540 times in value above his purchase price.  My mind is having a tough time coming to grips with that......

The late, great Bob Carlos Clarke wrote that he made more from trading his real estate than he ever made through his photography. But then, like Maisel, his property happened to be in the right places at the right inflationary times.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 06:28:08 pm »

Millions while titillating are quite beyond the point. It is the man, his thinking, his work and his play that are the real attraction.

Chris

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 09:07:36 pm »

It is the man, his thinking, his work and his play that are the real attraction.

Absolutely.  The video offers us a rare first-person glimpse into the mind of a genuine polymath.

Lance Saint Paul

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 03:26:31 pm »

Yes indeed, much thanks for this. It was magnificent, really.
Most of the time I kept thinking he's Phil Rosenthal's older brother, cousin, some relation....
And great to see Michael on the job.
Very special all the way around.

David Hufford

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 10:22:47 pm »

This is one of the LL videos that I have watched dozens over times over the years and never tire of it. The whole interview that Michael did with Jay all those years ago (!!!) is something special. I only hope the new film becomes widely available.
*Never fall in love with anything that c

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 09:40:29 am »

Millions while titillating are quite beyond the point. It is the man, his thinking, his work and his play that are the real attraction.

Chris

Not forgetting his amazing reputation over the years, especially with anyone interested in the beauty of images as distinct from their purely utilitarian value.

Some people should live for ever, at the time and in the state of their own choosing.

Rob

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 03:39:50 pm »

And then there's this new 'video' that will be amazing:

https://youtu.be/UmbM5TT3Qd8

http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 04:41:52 pm »

Andrew, I did a story on this on the home page of the site and that is why this video is getting played as it is included with info and the trailer on the film by Stephen Wilkes.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

ShawnBK

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 12:28:51 pm »

Great video all around. Nice to see Michael at his best. I hope on LuLa home page the info will be posted when one can see the movie & thru' which medium. Fathom Events does often show "The Met Opera" & other rare art films, I do hope the "Jay, Myself" becomes part of their repertoire.

tonyhowell

• https://www.tonyhowell.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 08:24:48 am »

I hadn't heard of Jay Maisel before this. I watched the video and liked what he was saying, but still thought 'yeah, but the proof of what he's saying should be in the pictures'. Because I read what Alain Briot says and find his pictures no better or different than mine, therefore all his conceptual writings do nothing for me. So I looked at Jay's work, wow! Jay Maisel is in a different league. Here's someone who is up there with Paul Strand, Jacques-Henri Latigue, Ansel Adams, Bill Brandt - the very best. Thank you so much for introducing me to this giant of photography!
Tony Howell

stevebscott

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 02:12:10 pm »

LLVJ 17 was by far my favourite! Antartica, Jay Maisel, Ray Maxwell, and Jeff Schewe. Every bit of it was great!

That's what prompted me to visit Michael in Toronto and spend a day with him. I came very close to signing up to Jay's workshop as well at the time. I always regretted not doing it when he was still doing them.

Cheers!

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up