Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod for Phase One  (Read 2521 times)

szeryf1989

Tripod for Phase One
« on: November 08, 2018, 10:40:39 am »

Hi! I am going to buy tripod with ball head for my P45+ and DF+. Any recommendation? I would like to use this in studio and for outdoor photography as well.
My first choice is: Manfrotto 475B PRO. I don't know what ball head should I choose. It must has some quick plate (arca). Maybe: FLM CB-32 F Ball Head with SRB-40 ?

Budget max 600$
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 11:21:16 am by szeryf1989 »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Tripod for Phase One
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 02:38:27 pm »

Hi! I am going to buy tripod with ball head for my P45+ and DF+. Any recommendation? I would like to use this in studio and for outdoor photography as well.
My first choice is: Manfrotto 475B PRO. I don't know what ball head should I choose. It must has some quick plate (arca). Maybe: FLM CB-32 F Ball Head with SRB-40 ?

Budget max 600$

Can you tell us more about what and how you shoot. It makes a big difference.

For example, budget aside, an Arca Swiss Cube GP is the best tripod head in the world for landscape and architecture, but makes a terrible sports head.

szeryf1989

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 03:24:46 pm »

Can you tell us more about what and how you shoot. It makes a big difference.

For example, budget aside, an Arca Swiss Cube GP is the best tripod head in the world for landscape and architecture, but makes a terrible sports head.

Studio: still life, beauty Outdoor: Landscape.  :)

nemtom

• Tamas Nemeth
    • 500 px gallery
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 05:42:57 pm »

Budget max 600$

I think the 475B is an overkill, unless you're shooting landscape close to your car. It is a heavy tripod. Also I'm not sure if ballhead is the best for still life or landscape. Depending on your shooting style, 3D head is a viable option for that as well. For example I tend to keep the horizontal axis tightened, and keep the two other axis loose, so I can compose with the camera free, but maintain the horizon. With a ballhead you have to keep the horizon yourself (unless you're using the uniqball head).

All in all, there are plenty of answer to be answered to receive an educated recommendation.
  • What is your desired minimum/maximum height for your style?
  • Maximum weight/dimensions (do you want to take it with you onboard during flight?)
  • How windy can it be, when you're going out shooting landscapes?
  • What is your usual exposure time for landscapes.
  • How long lens are you using outside?
  • Are you planning to shoot tabletop stills from above (do you need center column to be placed horizontally)?
  • And the list could go on....

MN

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 10:36:55 am »

All in all, there are plenty of answer to be answered to receive an educated recommendation.
  • What is your desired minimum/maximum height for your style?
  • Maximum weight/dimensions (do you want to take it with you onboard during flight?)
  • How windy can it be, when you're going out shooting landscapes?
  • What is your usual exposure time for landscapes.
  • How long lens are you using outside?
  • Are you planning to shoot tabletop stills from above (do you need center column to be placed horizontally)?
  • And the list could go on....

I would also add, is the DB reversible or revolving? i.e. do you need to be able to rotated everything 90º or 45º.
(If such rotation is required, would rule out lightweight tripods.)

Rand47

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 10:03:44 am »

I don’t think you’ll find an optimum or even adequate tripod + head within your existing budget.
Perhaps you can narrow your field, and then look in the used equipment market?

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Smoothjazz

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2018, 11:58:35 pm »

I just sold a Gitzo tripod to B&H for a fairly low price; they should have some good deals on used tripods- a good place to start.

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2018, 05:30:41 am »

I don’t think you’ll find an optimum or even adequate tripod + head within your existing budget.
Perhaps you can narrow your field, and then look in the used equipment market?

Rand

That is ridiculous. The Manfrotto 475 and a Manfrotto head are perfectly respectable and adequate for this application, though I find it hard to understand who someone with a budget for medium format digital cannot afford more than $600 for a tripod.

However, with that budget, I would look for an old, used aluminum Gitzo. Actually, even an original Marchioni Tiltall tripod could suffice in a pinch and can be found for $100 -$200.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 05:24:43 pm »

though I find it hard to understand who someone with a budget for medium format digital cannot afford more than $600 for a tripod.

a used p45+ and DF+ ... seems like the OP is working on a limited budget and getting the best they can for that budget.  Seems a reasonable question to get an adequate tripod to fit the budget.

NancyP

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 06:35:00 pm »

Affordable and sturdy, if not particularly light: Manfrotto 055B Pro full size aluminum tripod, plus Manfrotto 410 geared head (nice for macro and architecture and landscape, not for action), plus Hejnarphotostore Arca-Swiss conversion kit for the Manfrotto 410. Approximately 7 pounds in all, not really an issue if your outdoor photography doesn't involve long hikes or much elevation. The aluminum leg set can be prone to vibration in wind, particularly if using a long (400mm) lens. But - you can't kill the old-style Manfrotto gear - you could safely buy the legs and head used.

I don't know much about used Manfrotto ball heads. Large diameter ball is better.

szeryf1989

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 01:06:23 pm »

Ok I bought Benro Mach3 TMA47AL  + Manfrotto 410 head and it's work fine:) Tested in field and in studio for still life.  8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up