Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More Adobe BS  (Read 2453 times)

Mike Dale

More Adobe BS
« on: November 08, 2018, 09:17:21 am »

For what little Photoshop work I do I'm switching to Affinity. I'm running a MacBook Pro and Mojave I keep getting what amounts to an Adobe Virus. It keeps popping up informing me that my very genuine copy of CS6 is unauthorized. Adobe have verified that it's genuine, they actually supplied it when I switched versions from Windows to Mac several years ago.

Capture One has been my RAW converter for the last few years and I'm sure Affinity will do what I need. So up yours Adobe, you've just lost a customer of lots of years.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 10:56:45 am by Mike Dale »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
More Adobe rants
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 11:27:50 am »

It's not a virus (or a brain tumor  ;) )
Why not consider uninstalling it since you're telling us how awful and unnecessary the product is now.
Or this is more a rant than a call for help (if the later, I'd be happy to help you make the message go away).
As for Adobe losing lots of customers, sorry if these facts ruin your day:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2017/12/15/adoption-of-cloud-services-helps-boost-adobes-revenues/#14b7f6ba2323

Strong CC Subscriptions Boost Revenues In Q3

The company reported that it witnessed strong net new subscribers for CC during the quarter. The growth in CC subscriptions continued, as licensing revenues from all three segments (i.e. individual, team and enterprise term licensing agreements) grew. Growth was also fueled by strong performance in the SMB segment and international growth. Furthermore, a continued migration of the Creative Suite installed base bolstered subscription numbers. As a result, Adobe achieved record Creative revenue of $1.16 billion in Q4, which represents 58% of overall revenues. The company also reported that Creative Cloud ARPU grew quarter-over-quarter across all its product offerings in Q4.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: More Adobe BS
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 11:30:37 am »

For what little Photoshop work I do I'm switching to Affinity. I'm running a MacBook Pro and Mojave I keep getting what amounts to an Adobe Virus. It keeps popping up informing me that my very genuine copy of CS6 is unauthorized. Adobe have verified that it's genuine, they actually supplied it when I switched versions from Windows to Mac several years ago.

Hi Mike,

I've had a few of such events, where my CS6 reverted to a 30-day trial. I understand your frustration.

Capture One has been my RAW converter for the last few years and I'm sure Affinity will do what I need. So up yours Adobe, you've just lost a customer of lots of years.

I'm also a happy Affinity Photo (and Designer, and soon Publisher) user. The Serif team is an approachable very clever bunch, who have created very capable (and then some) alternatives, at a very affordable price and without subscriptions. It also had features from the onset, that only now are being added to the Photoshop CC version, like e.g. inputfields with calculations, and editing capabilities of the Nadir in 360-degree VR panoramas.

The only thing slowing me a bit down is 2 decades of muscle-memory, but lots of things are similar enough to figure out.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Mike Dale

Re: More Adobe rants
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 11:43:19 am »

It's not a virus (or a brain tumor  ;) )
Why not consider uninstalling it since you're telling us how awful and unnecessary the product is now.
Or this is more a rant than a call for help (if the later, I'd be happy to help you make the message go away).
As for Adobe losing lots of customers, sorry if these facts ruin your day:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2017/12/15/adoption-of-cloud-services-helps-boost-adobes-revenues/#14b7f6ba2323

Strong CC Subscriptions Boost Revenues In Q3

The company reported that it witnessed strong net new subscribers for CC during the quarter. The growth in CC subscriptions continued, as licensing revenues from all three segments (i.e. individual, team and enterprise term licensing agreements) grew. Growth was also fueled by strong performance in the SMB segment and international growth. Furthermore, a continued migration of the Creative Suite installed base bolstered subscription numbers. As a result, Adobe achieved record Creative revenue of $1.16 billion in Q4, which represents 58% of overall revenues. The company also reported that Creative Cloud ARPU grew quarter-over-quarter across all its product offerings in Q4.

It’s certainly not a request for help, I tried Dopinder at Adobe for that. I don’t care how many suckers are paying their money every month, every month, every month.

When I never downloaded anything from Adobe and this pop up appears on my legal copy of CS6 supplied by Adobe themselves and causes me problems and requires a reboot to clear it temporarily that’s pretty much what a virus does.

As for CS6, gone, bye bye, deleted, no more, history.

Mike Dale

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 11:48:39 am »

Hi Mike,

I've had a few of such events, where my CS6 reverted to a 30-day trial. I understand your frustration.

I'm also a happy Affinity Photo (and Designer, and soon Publisher) user. The Serif team is an approachable very clever bunch, who have created very capable (and then some) alternatives, at a very affordable price and without subscriptions. It also had features from the onset, that only now are being added to the Photoshop CC version, like e.g. inputfields with calculations, and editing capabilities of the Nadir in 360-degree VR panoramas.

The only thing slowing me a bit down is 2 decades of muscle-memory, but lots of things are similar enough to figure out.

Cheers,
Bart

Hey Bart. I purchased Affinity when it first came out and was very impressed. However like you, muscle memory and lots of years with Photoshop I never used it. I did buy the very nice Affinity Photo Workbook at Christmas for just this very event when Photoshop CS6 takes a dump.

I’ll know where to come for totally unbiased advice when I need it.

Cheers

Mike

Aram Hăvărneanu

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 12:12:43 pm »

Hi Mike,

Do you really believe that Adobe is conspiring to "get you"? That they intentionally caused your CS6 installation to go haywire in the hope that they will extort CC money from you?

Have you considered that, perhaps, this is a simple technical problem that is easily fixable, and you don't have to stop using Photoshop, nor do you need to get angry?

Remove Photoshop (there are thorough instructions on Adobe's website), reinstall it, and if that doesn't work contact Adobe support, who most certainly will help you.

PS: I really dislike subscription-based software.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: More Adobe rants
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 12:21:21 pm »

It’s certainly not a request for help, I tried Dopinder at Adobe for that.
That's what I thought. Rants belong, if at all, in the coffee corner:

The Coffee Corner
A forum for discussion of topics of a general nature, ideally related to photography but in any event not related to politics. Posters must conduct themselves in a civilised and adult matter. Inappropriate topics and/or posts will be deleted at the Moderators’ discretion.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

t6b9p

• BeyondVisible
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 04:47:55 pm »

and if that doesn't work contact Adobe support, who most certainly will help you.
I have been an Adobe customer since I purchased Photoshop 2.5 back in 1992? After installing CS6 acquired from Adobe authorized dealer back in 2013, I got similar "non Genuine" messages earlier this year. No problem for 5 years in between. I quickly found I was not alone. Numerous people with legally purchased copies received similar notifications without resolution. I suspect many just gave up and went with CC. With regards to your suggestion....."contact Adobe"....I tried that method and it nearly drove me postal.

I spent a total of 9 hours on the phone (to India) spread over multiple phone calls, never with the same person. Had to go over my problem every single time. They kept trying to push CC on me, they promised it was fixed, they promised to call back and never did etc etc....after the total of 9 hours I went on Adobe site and, in a calm but firm way, expressed my disgust of the situation and poor customer service. The post was quickly picked up by the administrator who passed it to someone "who cared". They looked into the situation and quickly resolved it......you could try a similar approach.

Happy to finally have it fixed.
My CS6 now resides in isolation from the outside world.

Registration issues, bugs and glitches happen, it's all a matter of how you are treated when trying to get it fixed. If I have a rant about Adobe....then it is their "front end" customer service, but love their software.
Pages: [1]   Go Up