Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Musicians Become Rich Anymore?  (Read 1174 times)

Rob C

Will Musicians Become Rich Anymore?
« on: November 07, 2018, 02:35:29 pm »

Considering the decline in record, CD or other hard copy formats, has the era of the Top Ten vanished into oblivion with the download phenomenon?

These days, I almost never play my vinyl, my CDs nor even my many cassettes. The car has a pendrive with hours of vintage rock'n'roll; at home it's the Internet radio stations. It costs zero.

How do bands make it today - dance halls seem of the past too, so where do these guys cut their teeth and break into the national and international circuits that host people like the Stones?

Is the professional musician first cousin to the professional photographer on the Titanic?

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
Re: Will Musicians Become Rich Anymore?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 03:04:58 pm »

In Toronto, there are now quite a few dancing venues, which are quite well attended, however, these days DJs play mainly latin music. Also quite a few tangos from 30's and 40's.
I don't know if they have to pay licensing fees for those records.

On another end of the music spectrum, Toronto rapper Drake shattered this year 50 year old Beetles records with the most top singles in one year. Not my cup of tea, I'll take the Beetles songs any day.

Ivophoto

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 03:06:25 pm »

Considering the decline in record, CD or other hard copy formats, has the era of the Top Ten vanished into oblivion with the download phenomenon?

These days, I almost never play my vinyl, my CDs nor even my many cassettes. The car has a pendrive with hours of vintage rock'n'roll; at home it's the Internet radio stations. It costs zero.

How do bands make it today - dance halls seem of the past too, so where do these guys cut their teeth and break into the national and international circuits that host people like the Stones?

Is the professional musician first cousin to the professional photographer on the Titanic?

Dance hall?

Like the plaisanterie in this legendary Mary Ellen Mark picture?

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 03:45:52 pm »

Clearly, two swingers with memory.

:-)

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 03:50:52 pm »

In Toronto, there are now quite a few dancing venues, which are quite well attended, however, these days DJs play mainly latin music. Also quite a few tangos from 30's and 40's.
I don't know if they have to pay licensing fees for those records.

On another end of the music spectrum, Toronto rapper Drake shattered this year 50 year old Beetles records with the most top singles in one year. Not my cup of tea, I'll take the Beetles songs any day.

There was a programme on tv recently about today's DJs: the top guys go international and are making millions a year! Incredibly, some also get gigs working on recording sessions with recognised singing stars where they make arrangements etc. for them. Who'd a thunk!

Rob

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 05:08:53 pm »

Clearly, two swingers with memory.
:-)

Speaking of swingers - here is a group shot from the Toronto Swing Society Dance Class - dancers of all ages. We have here several swing clubs - ranging from the classic west coast swing to jive and lindy hop.

or you can go for a double pleasure
Double Swing

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 09:29:19 pm »

Most working musicians perform live to make their money. Some also start YouTube channels and use that to earn extra income, often these days more via Patreon rather than YT itself due to the latter's constantly changing rules re. monetizing videos. Some even do YT/Patreon as their main gig. For example, check out Mary Spender's YT channel to see how she goes about it.

The days of serious wealth from making/playing music are over, with few exceptions. But you can make a sustainable place for yourself in today's flatter, broader music landscape with styles & sounds that 20 years ago wouldn't land you a decently-earning gig anywhere.

Julia Holter makes music that's often (delightfully IMO) weird…and she has an international audience large & loyal enough to let her keep doing it. Here's an example of her in accessible mode. It's a song about getting lost in Mexico in heavy rain on her way to play at a concert. https://youtu.be/X2JgMniIpRM

And here's one, a live performance, in a jazzier vein. Julia and her band are killer on stage…doing things the way she does pretty much requires it. In 1972 my dad & I & my Uncle Harry took a day trip to the Vasquez Rocks north of Los Angeles. I wanted to see it 'cuz I'd heard the makers of Star Trek used it for location filming. Julia, however, is interested in Vasquez himself. https://youtu.be/39kYbyeU_rQ

And then there's the more "out there" stuff…if interested I'll let you find it for yourself.  ;)

-Dave-

Two23

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 12:51:26 pm »

Some still become rich. Do Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber count as musicians?  Before answering, watch brief video linked below. ::)

(jump ahead to 00:12)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPq9IoyokSM

Kent in SD
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 01:42:25 pm by Two23 »
Qui sedes ad dexteram Patris,
miserere nobis.

Telecaster

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 01:10:40 pm »

Some still become rich. Do Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber count as musicians?

They're more like personalities who happen to also make music…or at least sing on top of music someone has made. Taylor Swift and Adele have more musicianship cred. Swift has really good business chops too. Ed Sheeran is kinda the British male version of Swift. Lady Gaga is a genuine talent who can excel in a variety of genres. She can also seriously act (see the new version of A Star Is Born) and has always done so with her musical personæ.

But all those folks considered together are the music biz version of lottery winners. IMO all the really good stuff is being made elsewhere by people with different intentions & aspirations.

-Dave-

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 04:33:18 pm »

All the old stars are still touring making millions. 

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 04:42:10 pm »

Yeah, playing shows is how they are making money. It's more work than selling records for the musician but it's great for fans who want to see their favorites. Very few wind up rich but I think that has always been true. 
Also, the heyday of downloading has already passed, it's mostly streaming these days.
-MattB

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 04:44:51 pm »

Yeah, playing shows is how they are making money. It's more work than selling records for the musician but it's great for fans who want to see their favorites. Very few wind up rich but I think that has always been true. 
Also, the heyday of downloading has already passed, it's mostly streaming these days.

Doesn;t streaming eat costly data since wifi isn't available in the car for example?

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 04:49:48 pm »

Doesn;t streaming eat costly data since wifi isn't available in the car for example?

It could but the dominant streaming app, Spotify has solved this with offline listening. Technically that is downloading, but unlike traditional downloading, you don't have access to the audio files, it's all transparently handled within the app.
In my case I have a playlist called Phone that I can set as available offline so I don't need connectivity to listen in the car or on a plane.
-MattB

Telecaster

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 09:28:53 pm »

I'm a cranky old man when it comes to streaming…I like having music on my iPad. And, appreciating how difficult it is to make a living in music, I also like more directly $upporting artists whose music I listen to. But I've also partly conceded to the present in that I use YouTube's Music app on my phone. (I have a YT Red account…for a small monthly fee all the advertising crap goes away.)

A studio recording these days is, financially, more of a promo for live shows than a potential source of income. Musicians who put lotsa effort into studio recording, like the aforementioned Julia Holter, are likely to be doing it for the sheer love of creative expression. (In her case she composes by improvizing while recording, and parts of this often end up in the finished "product.")

-Dave-

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 12:40:22 am »

I resisted streaming for a while and have a huge mp3 collection. And a huge CD collection from before that. I also like to support the artists and usually buy something at a show, either a CD or t-shirt. But streaming is very convenient and Spotify is great at showing me new stuff I like so I'm sold on it until there is something better. I got a family subscription for $15/month and it's pretty nice for all of us.
-MattB

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 10:32:28 am »

Older musicians have adapted and now associate with DJ's or latest rapper or latest "hit" that the masses seem to enjoy. They also tour a lot more. For decades, there was not a single live album from many artists, these days that has changed.

The obligatory Summer festivals are mandatory as well, for both older names and new ones.
Pages: [1]   Go Up