Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MF trends: just 51x40 DSLR backs and 44x33 integrated bodies?  (Read 527 times)

BJL

MF trends: just 51x40 DSLR backs and 44x33 integrated bodies?
« on: November 05, 2018, 10:52:12 am »

I would like to check if I am reading the product lists and announcements correctly, because there seems to be a (to me slightly surprising and clear) schism developing, which will have:

- all separate digital backs with 54x40 sensors ("645", close enough) for SLR bodies and existing lens systems
- all "integrated" (sensor+lens mount+VF) bodies in 44x33 format — mostly EVF cameras, but maybe with Pentax all-in-one SLRs persisting.

If so, is the more traditional "near 645" format likely to eventually add EVF options, either in bodies for those 54x40 backs or integrated bodies?  If anything, with the larger, more expensive sensors and the fewer components in the rest of an EVF body, there is less cost advantage to separating the "sensor part" from the "lens mount and VF part" (which allows the sensor part to be upgraded more often), so camera bodies with EVFs and 54x40 sensors would seem to make sense.

Or is 54x40 just consolidating to a smaller (but still profitable) niche akin to large format view cameras with film, and with offering backs for technical cameras as one important distinction?
Pages: [1]   Go Up