Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DXO NIK tools on win10 with 4k monitor?  (Read 3211 times)

guido

DXO NIK tools on win10 with 4k monitor?
« on: November 04, 2018, 08:58:06 pm »

I was looking forward to using the NIK tools under the new DXO ownership. But I have been disappointed by a huge usability issue: All of the UI running the plugins under Photoshop 2018 and 2019 display at a fixed size rendering them tiny on a 4k monitor. Menus, previews etc. all are so tiny as to be pretty much unusable. Standard win10 stuff like "change the size of text apps and other items" on the display menu have no effect.Found an old post by Rajan with a url for a fixed version and it has no improvement.

Has anyone found a working workaround for this?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:03:10 am by guido »

guido

Re: DXO NIK tools on win10 with 4k monitor?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 10:38:53 am »

I opened a support ticket and this was the reply:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the Nik Collection 2018 by DxO.

We are aware of the font issue on 4K monitors, this was an issue that arose with the previous version of the Nik Collection. Our developers are aware that this is an important fix for our customers, and are working on the compatibility with 4K monitors. We do not know when this will be completed, but please know that this is an issue we are aware of.

Regards,

Florian - DxO Customer Support

Osprey

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 11:05:43 am »

Yep, I've been grinning and bearing it for years. 

guido

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 11:53:17 am »

Kinda shameful they don't mention it on their website. I've asked for a refund.

michaelsh

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 07:31:18 am »

I was looking forward to using the NIK tools under the new DXO ownership. But I have been disappointed by a huge usability issue: All of the UI running the plugins under Photoshop 2018 and 2019 display at a fixed size rendering them tiny on a 4k monitor. Menus, previews etc. all are so tiny as to be pretty much unusable. Standard win10 stuff like "change the size of text apps and other items" on the display menu have no effect.Found an old post by Rajan with a url for a fixed version and it has no improvement.

Has anyone found a working workaround for this?

Thanks!

I use the win 10 screen loupe. 'Window' key and '+' key lets you magnify: at 100% the Nik plugins fill my screen and I can work with them.

guido

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 09:13:28 am »

Interesting trick, I'll have to try it.

They offered a refund, but only if they can log in to the system to remove the software. Hmmm...

guido

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 02:25:09 pm »

I use the win 10 screen loupe. 'Window' key and '+' key lets you magnify: at 100% the Nik plugins fill my screen and I can work with them.

That is sure not pretty but it is workable.

Thanks!

Garnick

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 03:19:31 pm »

Interesting trick, I'll have to try it.

They offered a refund, but only if they can log in to the system to remove the software. Hmmm...

Hi Guido,

The folks at DXO have admitted that they know about this issue, and yet they want to login to your system to remove the software????  I'm definitely no expert on Windows computers, but it does seem to be rather obvious that the Windows OS is susceptible to viruses, malware, ransomware etc., so in my opinion you could possibly be opening a huge can of worms by letting anyone other than you take control of your computer, especially online!

Just saying.

Gary     

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 09:17:49 pm by Garnick »
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 10:32:11 am »

The folks at DXO have admitted that they know about this issue, and yet they want to login to your system to remove the software????
I guess they think it's the only way to delete the software from your system to authorise a refund. Probably safe from a serious provider like DXO, but also a bit daft as a system back up could restore the software anyway.

Strikes me a bit daft to try to sell the set again when there's no major changes since it was distributed free by Google. Maybe smarter to have continued to offer it free by registration whilst an update was being developed, then have a database of who to sell an upgrade to.

guido

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 10:33:53 am »

Hi Guido,

The folks at DXO have admitted that they know about this issue, and yet they want to login to your system to remove the software????  I'm definitely no expert on Windows computers, but it does seem to be rather obvious that the Windows OS is susceptible to viruses, malware, ransomware etc., so in my opinion you could possibly be opening a huge can of worms by letting anyone other than you take control of your computer, especially online!

Just saying.

Gary   

Oh my goodness yes! No way I'd let them on my system. Not worth it for $69. The magnifier trick is working for now. I'll wait to see what the next update brings...

Thanks!

jimh

• Jim H Photo
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 08:57:58 pm »

Yeah this is disappointing.  I just got a new system and 4K monitor, and the teeny-tiny font on the Nik UI is a real drag.   I still have the old free version; I'd be happy to buy DxO's version if this was fixed.

So far it doesn't appear DxO has done anything substantial with the tools, just addressed compatibility issues and fixed old bugs.  I sure had hoped for more by now. 

guido

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 09:32:15 pm »

They are suggesting a fix the the hi-res monitors in 2019...
Pages: [1]   Go Up