Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving from LR to CaptureOne: what am I loosing?  (Read 7699 times)

wizard_of_dof

Moving from LR to CaptureOne: what am I loosing?
« on: November 04, 2018, 05:02:40 pm »

Hi,

I'd like to drop LR, as they do not update the desktop version with the support for Z7, and start using CaptureOne.
Before buying I'd like to asses, which features I am not going to find in CaptureOne.
As I understand it CaptureOne does not have HDR and Panorama support, what else?

Thank you.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Moving from LR to CaptureOne: what am I loosing?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 05:13:53 pm »

Huh? LR has supported the Z7 since the middle of last month. C1 still doesn't.

wizard_of_dof

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 05:21:22 pm »

As I said, I do not have the cloud license, but the desktop version of the product, I do not know if it still has a name. That version of LR does not get anymore updates whatsoever.

faberryman

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 05:21:43 pm »

LR6 doesn't support the Z7 and he doesn't want to pay the subscription fee.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 05:35:26 pm »

As I said, I do not have the cloud license, but the desktop version of the product, I do not know if it still has a name. That version of LR does not get anymore updates whatsoever.

You didn't say that you don't have the cloud licence.... Maybe try saying "subscription" instead of the vague "desktop version" which has never been used as a name anyway. If you just want to save money, just use Adobe's free DNG converter.

Why not download C1 and try if it meets your needs? It lacks many features of LR, like the whole of the mobile and web aspects, and Photoshop, while LR lacks some of C1's, but the missing features may be irrelevant to you.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 06:13:07 pm by john beardsworth »

jeremyrh

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 01:25:01 am »

Why not download C1 and try if it meets your needs? It lacks many features of LR, like the whole of the mobile and web aspects, and Photoshop, while LR lacks some of C1's, but the missing features may be irrelevant to you.

Well, as you noted, as things stand it doesn't meet his primary need  (Z7 support) AT ALL. Another option will be to test DxO PL2 which claims to have Z7 support coming in December.

Not to mention, of course, just paying to upgrade to the latest Lr.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:36:14 am by jeremyrh »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 02:41:09 am »

Well, as you noted, as things stand it doesn't meet his primary need  (Z7 support) AT ALL.

True, but that is only temporary. One assumes he already has pictures from less-new cameras.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 04:04:21 am »

which features I am not going to find in CaptureOne.
As I understand it CaptureOne does not have HDR and Panorama support, what else?
You'll also loose the book, map and slideshow modules for starters.
CO's web page creation is more limited than LR. The DAM features are also less sophisticated. The camera colour calibration profile system is different, using icc profiles, rather than dcp, so you may need new tools for that. Similarly I've not read of a way to create custom lens correction profiles. No visualise spots option to help spot dust marks. no dehaze option. There are less third party plug-ins or presets available too.

The interface and GUI is different, so it may take some effort in learning how to work quickly. I still find LR's GUI more intuitive myself.

It's not all loss though. Besides no subscription and supporting newer cameras than LR6, there are some different ways of working with adjustment layers and tonal corrections that you may find more powerful than LR's local adjustment options.

Overall you can still deliver great files from CO. If HDR and panoramas are important to you, there are stand alone packages that will deliver better results than LR's built in options, it's just a more involved workflow.

Try the trial, work through some tutorials and see if you like it.

jeremyrh

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 05:26:21 am »

Slightly off-topic but ...

I read elsewhere that "the latest version of ACR processed the Z7's files but didn't yet have support for the camera colour profiles".  I don't actually know what those words mean. Can someone knowledgeable comment?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 05:35:52 am »

I'd assume that simply means it will convert the images with a Nikon default camera profile because they haven't had time to build proper profiles for that model yet. If so, the colours might just need slightly more of a tweak into what you want than you'd expect if you had a dedicated profile for the body.

ario

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 06:16:42 am »

I'd assume that simply means it will convert the images with a Nikon default camera profile because they haven't had time to build proper profiles for that model yet. If so, the colours might just need slightly more of a tweak into what you want than you'd expect if you had a dedicated profile for the body.
The current LR release has full support for the Nikon Z7, including all camera color profiles.

UnfamiliarLight

• Unfamiliar Light
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 11:34:24 am »

The current LR release has full support for the Nikon Z7, including all camera color profiles.
Except that is only available to people who subscribe to Adobe's new business model. I am happy that works for people but it does not for all and the OP clearly indicated that he is in that group (me too).
So, you can look at C1 which does not currently have support for the Z7 but will for both stand alone licensees and subscription licensees or you can subscribe to Adobe now but you will *never* get it from Adobe for your stand alone LR license.

UnfamiliarLight

• Unfamiliar Light
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 11:48:33 am »

I'd like to drop LR, as they do not update the desktop version with the support for Z7, and start using CaptureOne.
Before buying I'd like to asses, which features I am not going to find in CaptureOne.
I think others have covered it pretty well so I'll just add what I did about the "missing things":book - that will be felt but every time I created a book I also thought about switching to Blurb's native book editor. Now I just will.

map - i used the map to geotag my photos from my GPS tracks. I never used it to find photos but now I use Geosetter (https://www.geosetter.de/en/main-en/) to do that work. C1 still has a link in the metadata panel that you can click on and it will take you to google maps and show you where the picture was taken. Works for me.

slideshow modules - used it once. Next time I'll have to find something else. Not worried about it.

web page creation - no interest there at all. I use a Word Press website so at first I thought I would miss my LR plug-in integration but honestly those bloody things were so flaky having to go back to producing files, ftping them to the server and then creating galleries was so refreshing and so easy. I'm actually happy about it.
DAM - C1 has some issues - performance being the big one but also some strange handling of variants this is definitely a step down from LR but I am finding it handles my 62 000 files well enough. Searching through all of them is painful but searching smaller sets is fine.

What you gain:
Layers - I have really enjoyed having layers again - being able to name adjustments and turn things up or down or on and off is such a nice way to work
Colour control - yeah wow I'm still getting my head around this but clearly C1 exposes a lot of power to adjust colours

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2018, 02:02:33 pm »

One thing you'll lose - and it's the single thing that stops me changing to C1, which otherwise I liked when I tried it - is the history palette in LR's develop module.

Jeremy

faberryman

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2018, 02:07:50 pm »

The biggest thing you will lose is the time you will spend learning a new software program.

UnfamiliarLight

• Unfamiliar Light
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 03:06:44 pm »

One thing you'll lose - and it's the single thing that stops me changing to C1, which otherwise I liked when I tried it - is the history palette in LR's develop module.

Jeremy
I personally don't miss it. There is still undo so small mistakes can still be reversed. What I used the history for in LR is experimenting with a new look. Now I just do that in a layer - don't like it delete the layer.

I suppose if you liked the recording of the state of the edits on export there is no equivalent in C1 but that never was something I really used.

UnfamiliarLight

• Unfamiliar Light
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2018, 03:10:44 pm »

The biggest thing you will lose is the time you will spend learning a new software program.
Sure there is a learning curve. Personally I felt pretty abandoned by Adobe when the stopped offering stand alone licensing. My feeling was I had wasted all that time learning a program I was no longer happy with.
Truth be told the learning curve for editing in C1 is not steep and you can get going just by reading the UI - the basics are not that different. I recommend that people look at using layers as soon in the process as you can because that is where the bang for the buck comes from. Of course that applies to anyone actually wanting to use C1 - which is what this sub forum is for - right? None of this advice applies for those that are happy with LR :)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2018, 03:21:44 pm »

Except that is only available to people who subscribe to Adobe's new business model.
You can still create your own (for free) in older versions assuming you own a ColorChecker. You can edit them for free too, using the DNG profile editor.
Yeah, if the older version (say V5) doesn't natively support the newer camera, you'll have to convert to DNG but what's nice is, those profiles get embedded into that container.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

DP

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 09:09:45 pm »

You can edit them for free too, using the DNG profile editor.
in C1 you can edit camera profiles right in the converter itself

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 09:38:55 pm »

in C1 you can edit camera profiles right in the converter itself
And it creates them too?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up