Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Book of landscape images and poems: How to do it? What printing firm to use?  (Read 1936 times)

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing

Hi Folks,

I've decided to make a book of my photos and associated poems as Xmas gifts to my family and close friends.  (Yes, I should have started this earlier but they'll wait for their Xmas gift past New Years.)

I want it to look professional and near "coffee table" quality, yet not drain my IRA!

As I shoot a 3x4 MFD camera, need print capabilities to mate up with image sizes.  Archival if possible, etc.

Have done a search here on LL but not finding any threads later than 2013.

Suggestions appreciated!
Jack
http://www.shadowsdancing.com
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 01:16:57 pm by Lust4Life »

Joe Towner

What size of a book are you looking to make?  I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to do a http://blog.amberconcept.com/2017/08/the-big-book.html - 20x28 pages, portrait or landscape.  They make a smaller one, but come on, it's a huge book.

I've also seen WHCC press books and liked them, but really it's about size, number of copies and what type of cover.
t: @PNWMF

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing

What size?
Hmmm, fairly large is what I'm thinking, say 11.5w X14h closed cover.

I just looked at Amber Blog and it seems at first glance they are doing a lot of "artwork" printing.
Any idea of cost or quality?

Anyone actually use them and have feedback?

Ian99

I have made a number of photobooks for clients and used Pikto, here in Toronto.
Oddly enough many of the clients were landscapers (hardscape and greenscape) and they reported back that having these things to show prospective customers was a huge advantage. These clients are, shall we say, fairly rough and ready, and the elegance of the presentation lifts them up several notches from their competition.

I chose Pikto over others like Blurb, firstly because of the quality – they are high grade printers, but also because of the available sizes. They go up to 12x18” and when open the image can be quite stunning.

Not cheap! But at least the cost is in Canadian dollars which is a bargain these days. They also have a long history in the business.

Dan Wells

There's a new entrant called Artibo, based in Poland. They're apparently up and running in Europe, coming soon in North America. They had some very impressive (much, much higher quality than Blurb & co.) samples at PhotoPlus this fall. The rough pricing they were quoting was in the Blurb range. If they get here with that price-quality ratio, they'll be very worth checking out.

Dan

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography

I've seen some very nice photo books made by MagCloud.  Here are some examples:

http://www.magcloud.com/browse/search?q=charlie%20cramer

jeremyrh

There's a new entrant called Artibo, based in Poland. They're apparently up and running in Europe, coming soon in North America. They had some very impressive (much, much higher quality than Blurb & co.) samples at PhotoPlus this fall. The rough pricing they were quoting was in the Blurb range. If they get here with that price-quality ratio, they'll be very worth checking out.

Dan

Do you have a link? My googling came up empty :-(

Manoli

artibo.com

jeremyrh

Pages: [1]   Go Up