This is a photo-centric site... doesn’t accept JPEGs???

Started by Slobodan Blagojevic, November 03, 2018, 04:26:45 pm

Slobodan Blagojevic

I mean, people, seriously???

I already spent half an hour in vain, trying to post a picture from my iPad, fighting various quirks on this site. But not allowing JPEGs???


Slobodan Blagojevic

Quote from: Chris Sanderson on November 03, 2018, 05:11:59 pm
;D try .jpg not jpeg...


Well, gee, Chris, thanks, and how do you do that on an iPad? Change the file ending, that is? Besides, it is not as if JPEG is a typo, just an alternative spelling.

BJL

Quote from: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 03, 2018, 06:41:26 pm
Well, gee, Chris, thanks, and how do you do that on an iPad? Change the file ending, that is? Besides, it is not as if JPEG is a typo, just an alternative spelling.

In fact JPEG is the format's acronym, only abbreviated to .jpg back in the paleo-computer era when Windows only allowed three character suffixes. Can this site join the 21st century and accept .jpeg? And while you are about it, maybe also .TIFF ?!

Telecaster

As an iPad workaround to this, with a bunch of the processed JunoCam images I've posted in the LuLa thread devoted to 'em, I've loaded the .JPEGs into an image editor & then saved out again at 100% quality as .JPGs.

-Dave-

Christopher Sanderson

Weeeell, I grant you this forum software is definitely rather ancient and creaky but it has allowed me to enter jpeg and tiff as acceptable file formats - with protest. Let's see if that helps...

Chris

Christopher Sanderson

Quote from: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 03, 2018, 06:41:26 pm
Well, gee, Chris, thanks, and how do you do that on an iPad? Change the file ending, that is? Besides, it is not as if JPEG is a typo, just an alternative spelling.

I tried exporting an image from the Photos app and it turns out .jpg, so perhaps try importing to your Photos app and then re-export? + see above.

digitaldog

Never had any such issues with a JPEG. And .JPG or .JPEG  (upper or lower case) appears to be just fine for either extension:
Andrew Rodney
Author "Color Management for Photographers"

Slobodan Blagojevic

I can't even post the rejection screenshot because, guess what, it ends with .jpeg.

Slobodan Blagojevic


Slobodan Blagojevic

I order to post the rejection screenshot, here are the steps I needed to take:

1. Switch from iPad to iPhone
2. Open LR
3. Import .jpeg file to LR
4. Export that file to Files (an app on the iPhone)
5. Finally attach it here

bjanes

Quote from: BJL on November 03, 2018, 09:15:49 pm
In fact JPEG is the format's acronym, only abbreviated to .jpg back in the paleo-computer era when Windows only allowed three character suffixes. Can this site join the 21st century and accept .jpeg? And while you are about it, maybe also .TIFF ?!


Harking back to the paleo-computer area, what does that say about the current forum software?

Bill

Christopher Sanderson

November 04, 2018, 08:52:44 am #12 Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 09:00:36 am by Chris Sanderson
Test ))

Perhaps the limitation is more from the iPad than from forum softw??

Eric Myrvaagnes

I think the problem clearly lies with the iThingies.

The solution: Get rid of all iJunk and, when out photographing, always carry with you a modern Desktop PC with a large, AdobeRGB compliant monitor, and a real camera. Then you can post jpegs, tiffs, and probably even tifffs with no iProblems.   ;D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

digitaldog

Quote from: Chris Sanderson on November 04, 2018, 08:52:44 am
Test ))

Perhaps the limitation is more from the iPad than from forum softw??
Exactly! Despite the rants, the forum software isn't an issue. As we both illustrated.
Andrew Rodney
Author "Color Management for Photographers"

Slobodan Blagojevic


digitaldog

Andrew Rodney
Author "Color Management for Photographers"

Christopher Sanderson

November 04, 2018, 09:59:39 am #17 Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 09:17:55 am by Chris Sanderson
Test from iPad...

Attachments / Choose file / Browse ....

Slobodan Blagojevic

Why is it so difficult to get a straight answer to a simple question from some members? If the moderator and the other one do not want to help by answering it, but would rather use the opportunity for smart-ass comments, can someone else try to post directly from iPad or iPhone, please? That is, images natively made on either one, stored in the native Camera Roll/Photos apps.

It seems that at least Telecaster confirms the need for a workaround when posting from iPad. Anyone else?

Christopher Sanderson

November 04, 2018, 10:06:46 am #19 Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 10:14:53 am by Chris Sanderson
Quote from: Slobodan Blagojevic on November 04, 2018, 10:05:25 am
Why is it so difficult to get a straight answer to a simple question from some members? If the moderator and the other one do not want to help by answering it, but would rather use the opportunity for smart-ass comments, can someone else try to post directly from iPad or iPhone, please? That is, images natively made on either one, stored in the native Camera Roll/Photos apps.

Slobodan, I just did post with my iPad. Seems to work fine...
Below shot 5 min ago on my iPad.