Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A little guidance please  (Read 1332 times)

KeithR

A little guidance please
« on: November 02, 2018, 01:04:25 pm »

I have had Adobe's photography bundle (LR & PS) for since the beginning on my desktop computer. I am expecting a new laptop (Windows 10) today and want to also put the bundle on it as well. My last laptop was a Gateway back in 2004 (not used for images and besides, it's old). What do I need to do? All my primary work will still be on the desktop. The new laptop will have only one SSD for the programs installed. How do I handle the catalog? My desktop has multiple internal drives that, other than the C drive,  are partitioned for things like the catalog and extra storage. Thanks in advance.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

armand

• Photos
Re: A little guidance please
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 01:37:06 pm »

How much editing do you plan to do on your laptop?

I have on both my laptop and desktop but I use for laptop only when traveling.
I make a catalog for that trip and when I get home I export the catalog on an external drive from where it gets imported on the main LR on the desktop. It keeps the basic editing from the laptop.

KeithR

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 02:47:36 pm »

The editing will be minor(compared to the desktop) on the laptop. Anything saved will be copied to an external drive and imported to files on the desktop computer.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 07:35:08 pm »

I do the same as Armand (within your main LR catalog you can import from another one).  So on my laptop I start a clean empty catalog for every trip and copy it + files onto an SSD and import to the main LR catalog from within on my desktop.
I tried copying my whole LR cat to the laptop before trips but found it way too cumbersome

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 08:03:31 pm »

I will add that I create the LR catalog on the main laptop drive, but if I'm going to take a lot of photos (too many for the C drive) I'll just load them from the card directly onto an external SSD and import them into the catalog from there while I'm travelling.  The LR catalog directory just gets copied to the SSD when I get home and that is plugged into the desktop for importing.

KeithR

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 06:01:05 pm »

Thank you for the replies and they will be helpful but what do I need to do to get LR & PS on to the new laptop. I know that I  can have them on 2 computers but this is 1st time I've had this opportunity to do so.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 07:43:57 pm »

You just go to Adobe, login and download them.  It will download the Creative Cloud software/window 1st and you can then choose the Apps.

KeithR

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 08:21:59 pm »

Thank you! Now to find my Adobe I'd so I can logon   :o
Pages: [1]   Go Up