Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X-T3 RAW issues  (Read 4575 times)

Jonathan Cross

Fuji X-T3 RAW issues
« on: November 01, 2018, 02:30:01 pm »

I have a Fuji X-T3 and LR 6.  To read the RAW files I will upgrade to LR Classic as I do not want to convert to DNG.  The web has reports of white balance and tint issues with Photoshop, LR and the DNG convertor.  It seems Adobe may be aware of these.  Has anyone experienced these issues?  I am reluctant to upgrade if they do exist until Adobe has a fix.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

rdonson

Re: Fuji X-T3 RAW issues
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 10:52:34 pm »

I have an X-T2 not an X-T3.  With the latest version of Lr CC Classic I've seen none of those issues.  Lr and ACR do a fair job with the X-Trans sensor.  For critical work though I use Iridient X-Transformer calling it from Lr.  I get much better detail doing the demosaicing there.  YMMV.  The rest of my processing is in Lr and PS. 
Regards,
Ron

DP

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 07:42:07 pm »

Has anyone experienced these issues? 
if is a bug officially ack'd by Adobe - what's the point to ask further ? https://forums.adobe.com/message/10683318#10683318

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 09:32:11 pm »

Is your issue that you're using an Adobe Profile (Adobe Color, Adobe Standard, Adobe Landscape, etc.) ?

If so, try the Fuji profiles in Lightroom such as Provia/Standard, Velvia/Vivid, Astia/Soft, Classic Chome, etc.

You may find them more to your liking. 

Adobe claims to have improved their profiles but I don't find them very appealing with my Fuji X-T2.  I usually start out with Provia and if need be try one of the other Fuji film simulations. 

Regards,
Ron

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 06:45:43 am »

Thanks Ron for your comment.  I have an X-T2 and have had no problems with LR.  The issue with X-T3 apparently is that RAWs can have a very green cast in LR and the tint can go weird if changing the wb.  I posted the query to see if others had experienced what is being reported.  If it is true then I will not upgrade to LR Classic from LR6.  I just wanted to know if such an extensive forum membership such as LuLa had hit this issue and if there was enough grumbling to make Adobe do anything.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 04:46:36 pm »

Jonathan,

X-T3s aren't in a huge number of hands yet so the green cast may or may not exist.  Usually if someone is experiencing it I see it quickly in the DPReview forums.  Some people there are very quick to whine.   :). So far I've not seen anything on this issue. 

There's also a new firmware release for the X-T3 that may or may not have any connection to this issue.
http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/firmware/x/xt3/index.html

I haven't seen this issue on the 6 or so sites I follow for Fuji (yet?). 

Regards,
Ron

dmward

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 10:32:10 am »

I've processed hundreds, possibly a couple of thousand XT-3 images in Lightroom without any color problems.
I have an import preset that sets the camera profile to Eterna.
I try to never use the Adobe color profiles. I either use camera profiles that match the film types or a calibrated profile made with Profile Editor from a reference shot of a MacBeth Color Chart.
This was exported from Lightroom as a full sized JPG with no adjustments other than import profile applied to RAW.

rdonson

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 10:37:20 am »

That looks great to me!!!!
Regards,
Ron

DP

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 11:56:17 am »

Is your issue that you're using an Adobe Profile (Adobe Color, Adobe Standard, Adobe Landscape, etc.) ?

If so, try the Fuji profiles in Lightroom such as Provia/Standard, Velvia/Vivid, Astia/Soft, Classic Chome, etc.

those profiles in ACR/LR are LUT adjustments on top of Adobe's "Adobe Standard" profile for the relevant Fuji camera - they are not genuine DCP profiles and the OP's issue is with WB

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 05:45:22 pm »

DP please help me understand. 

So you're saying that Adobe screwed up and their Adobe Standard doesn't work well with the Fuji X-T3?  Probably due to the non-Bayer sensor?

If so, this is another reason to do de-mosaicing with Iridient. 

Regards,
Ron

dmward

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 09:58:30 am »

DP,
White balance is one consideration. Changing profiles in LR, even with same white balance changes the colors in an image. So, even though OP referred to WB, the fundamental concern is how to get the color right. That is a combination of WB and other color adjustments, including the profile. The latest version of LR uses LUTs to create the profiles. I'm not convinced that all are modifications to Adobe standard, but at one level that's irrelevant. All the adjustable elements in a color profile have to start at some baseline. What the baseline is is less important that that changes get the color profile to the proper place.

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2018, 04:39:04 pm »

My reading of the issue appears to be that 'as shot' WB is Ok, though opening the develop window sends the tint slider to the right.  Any other wb, e.g. cloudy gives a pronounced green cast.  Others report the tint giving a magenta cast.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

dmward

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 05:28:01 pm »

My reading of the issue appears to be that 'as shot' WB is Ok, though opening the develop window sends the tint slider to the right.  Any other wb, e.g. cloudy gives a pronounced green cast.  Others report the tint giving a magenta cast.

Jonathan

I checked several files from XT3 as well as XH1 with latest version of CC Classic. The as shot white balance has a lot of magenta +50 or more with as shot wb. Clicking any of the named white balance setting tends to drive the tint way back toward neutral which does add a lot of green. Using the eye dropper gets a good white balance which once again has a lot of magenta with tint slider well to right.

This seems to be independent of the Profile selected. While Its easy to get good white balance, it does seem that there is something fishy with the white balance math.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 06:34:30 pm »

Jonathan
Have you done a test with Silkypix they are a Japanese provider of raw processing software and have a relationship with Fujifilm, see the link below. They have professional grade software also available in addition to the support provided specifically for Fujifilm camera models. Worth a try if you are not happy with the rendition provided by Adobe who appear to be struggling with the Fujifilm sensor for many years.
I am not a Fujifilm user but used SilkyPix prior to the advent of Lightroom in 2007 and was very pleased with rendition of my raw files.http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/myfinepix_studio/rfc_2/win/

https://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_t3/features/page_07.html

SilkyPix also have special relationships with other Camera Manufacturers including Panasonic and Sony.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 07:04:13 pm by Denis de Gannes »
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 04:28:42 am »

Have you done a test with Silkypix they are a Japanese provider of raw processing software and have a relationship with Fujifilm, see the link below. They have professional grade software also available in addition to the support provided specifically for Fujifilm camera models. Worth a try if you are not happy with the rendition provided by Adobe who appear to be struggling with the Fujifilm sensor for many years.
I am not a Fujifilm user but used SilkyPix prior to the advent of Lightroom in 2007 and was very pleased with rendition of my raw files.http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/myfinepix_studio/rfc_2/win/

https://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujifilm_x_t3/features/page_07.html

SilkyPix also have special relationships with other Camera Manufacturers including Panasonic and Sony.
Fuji seem to have switched their allegiance to Capture One
https://www.phaseone.com/en/Capture-One/Capture-One-Fujifilm.aspx

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 07:58:35 am by Dave Rosser »

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 05:54:46 am »

Thanks Dave.  Capture One has x-t3 support, so I may have to change.  It is a shame as I have been with LR since LR2 with my Canon kit.  I have had Fuji since starting with the rather lighter X-E1 for travel and am impressed with the operation of the X-T3.  I am involved with a national UK project photographing sculpture in public ownership for a public database.  They need RAW images as well as processed JPEGs so I do need a reliable RAW processor.  Decisions, decisions!

Best wishes,

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

brianrybolt

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 06:46:10 am »

Fuji seem to have switched their allegiance to Capture One.See here

Hour Link:  'See here' is broken

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 08:01:36 am »

Hour Link:  'See here' is broken
Try again I have put direct link in my original mail but here it is
https://www.phaseone.com/en/Capture-One/Capture-One-Fujifilm.aspx

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2018, 12:42:44 pm »

Thanks all for your inputs.  I have now purchased Iridient x-transformer and am using this to convert to DNG.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

BAB

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2018, 09:32:12 am »

Johnathan
I think ID is the best bet, and to check the color cast issues PS is so easy. Just open the document and add a curves layer then hit the AUTO button it will usually be perfect or a good starting place. After that you can return to Lightroom. Then use the x y viewing to compare the original with the PS corrected file and adjust the proper sliders in LR to try and match the color, then copy and pasted to other images....and your done!
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up